• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTA : Alternatives to Comic Short/Long Boxes

12 posts in this topic

since it is very very hard to get here and when available it is pricey , about 2 times normal price , i need alternatives

a lot of collector in here use plastic boxes , but i heard that it is dangerous since plastic boxes didn't have air hole like short/long boxes and shut very tight

so any suggestion ? thank you

I use 5-drawer legal-sized filing cabinets. They fit almost 2-long boxes per drawer. Not exactly the cheapest option (though I got mine free from work out of the storage room because they haven't been needed in 5 years & it cleaned out the space from the storage room) or the most easily-moved, but definitely space efficient & prevents you from needing to do the long box shuffle to get to THAT box on the bottom.

Many of us use this. It makes it very easy to find any book quickly,and there is less stress to a book as a short box or filing cabinet would cause.

[Add=oakman29]

Ikea magazine holders. I've added tags to many of them by now.

44480B0D-B34A-4001-93D0-A71A9DC593FD-8024-000008CD82BD93EB_zps51d8431c.jpg

I have the same set,but with cardboard magazine holders. Those were just too expensive for me.

IMG00386-20110402-2034.jpg

Many of us use this. It makes it very easy to find any book quickly,and there is less stress to a book as a short box or filing cabinet would cause.

[Add=oakman29]

I have the same set,but with cardboard magazine holders. Those were just too expensive for me.

Now take a picture that's not blurry - I want to see that Hulk in situ :taptaptap:

[Add=oakman29]

How many books does one magazine holder actually hold though?

I use 5-drawer legal-sized filing cabinets. They fit almost 2-long boxes per drawer. Not exactly the cheapest option (though I got mine free from work out of the storage room because they haven't been needed in 5 years & it cleaned out the space from the storage room) or the most easily-moved, but definitely space efficient & prevents you from needing to do the long box shuffle to get to THAT box on the bottom.

Any chance you have (or could take) a picture of how these look with comics sitting in them? And would it work for gold/silver/all eras?

Thanks!

Any chance you have (or could take) a picture of how these look with comics sitting in them? And would it work for gold/silver/all eras?

Thanks!

Just an example that I have available at the moment. I can take one of JUST the drawer when I get home later. I have a mix of Silver age poly or mylars/boards & current sized poly/boards in the drawer shown. The slightly larger top loaders though seem to be a bit wide for this though in my experience. The drawers are about 1/4"-1/2" too narrow to fit 2 rows of the slightly larger top-loaders or magazine sized bags/boards without them touching.

5ae12f2d-1e43-487f-af76-33f6ba33b730_zps7mqo0ruk.jpg

since it is very very hard to get here and when available it is pricey , about 2 times normal price , i need alternatives

a lot of collector in here use plastic boxes , but i heard that it is dangerous since plastic boxes didn't have air hole like short/long boxes and shut very tight

so any suggestion ? thank you

When I was younger, a long time ago, I used to get really nice boxes with lids from work - they were from the old style wide fanfold computer paper (see, I told you it was a long time ago), that were just wide enough to hold two rows of boarded comics.

I don't have access to that anymore, but I have found boxes of similar dimensions from box companies. What I am using now (along with those computer boxes) are these file boxes:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-6521/Storage-File-Boxes/Economy-Storage-File-Box-with-Lid-15-x-12-x-10

Perhaps you can find a similar supplier in your area?

[Add=oakman29]

How many books does one magazine holder actually hold though?

About 30 books,bagged and boarded.

I wouldn't use plastic boxes. I would store them in magazine boxes like pictured above. You can make your own too just to test them out before purchasing any.

You can do your own search but here is one that uses old priority boxes. http://www.abowlfulloflemons.net/2010/12/how-to-make-magazine-storage-boxes.html

Those look really narrow though. I used a regular box that someone shipped comics to me in. Worked great so I purchased the mag boxes at Staples. If you get them in Target make sure the bottoms have two part flap vs a lip along the edge. The latter ones aren't strong enough to hold comics.

If you really want a box though, I would go to Office Supply store and look at Banker boxes.