• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone remember Joe Dungan???

15 posts in this topic

Average height, slightly Bald, I believe he taught chemistry at a University. Had a mixture of gold and silver. Main focus for a while was Church Flash comics. I did a trade with him once. And bought a few of his high grade "unrestored" comics once also.

Where did Dungan live? I knew a guy named Joe(never did catch his last name, or at any rate I can't remember it) in Philly in the late seventies/early eighties who collected High Grade GA Batman and Detective's like mad. he had some amazing books; his BATMAN #5 was absolutely flawless, except for a black check mark over the logo. Also had some beautiful TEC's like 31, but at that point he was getting lower grades book restored, so it might not have been an "authentic" high grade copy. I eventually saw him at a Philly show with a table around '83, selling off all of his beauties.

Yup. I met him at my very first comic con in 1986. I bought some mystery in space (hint: look at my name!). At a subsequent con, I picked up his personal copy of FF 49,50 -- very sweet. I sold the 49 cgc 9.6 a few years back for about 100x what i paid for it. joe was/is a vetenarian down in Houston, anyone from there can give you a lot more details than I can. As Timely attests, he was quite amiable to talk to, though I've heard he could be interesting to deal with on more important purchases. he owned quite a few mile highs (lots of flash's) and was very focused on page quality. i've heard him mentioned as one the significant influences in pushing the marketplace to recognize the value of page quality. i have a number of books from his collection and the page quality on all is superb. he sold the last of his collection in 1999. his intersted ranged from golden age to silver and wasn't limited to superhero. i've attached one of the jpgs from the listing of the last chunk of the collection. (this shows guide prices, not what they sold for).

Dunno if he's the same guy or not but there used to be a Joe Dungan(?) down in San Antonio. He ran a small shop in Alamo Heights (the rich part of town). He always had good stuff. I did business on and off with him during the early '90s. This Joe was a huge Superman collector.

One day Rich (from Heroes and Fantasies) made him a one-time offer and POOF! he was gone. Never heard from him again. I think he might have been Keyser Soze. confused-smiley-013.gif

One day Rich (from Heroes and Fantasies) made him a one-time offer and POOF! he was gone. Never heard from him again.

I guess now we know what happens when someone refuses "...an offer you can't refuse..." 27_laughing.gif

Joe is the guy from San Antonio. I got mixed up on my cities but I checked with a friend of mine.

he'll know why

Bizarre. When's this list from? It does jive with the list we talked about.....

this was in my earlier post:

Yup. I met him at my very first comic con in 1986. I bought some mystery in space (hint: look at my name!). At a subsequent con, I picked up his personal copy of FF 49,50 -- very sweet. I sold the 49 cgc 9.6 a few years back for about 100x what i paid for it. joe was/is a vetenarian down in Houston, anyone from there can give you a lot more details than I can. As Timely attests, he was quite amiable to talk to, though I've heard he could be interesting to deal with on more important purchases. he owned quite a few mile highs (lots of flash's) and was very focused on page quality. i've heard him mentioned as one the significant influences in pushing the marketplace to recognize the value of page quality. i have a number of books from his collection and the page quality on all is superb. he sold the last of his collection in 1999. his intersted ranged from golden age to silver and wasn't limited to superhero. i've attached one of the jpgs from the listing of the last chunk of the collection. (this shows guide prices, not what they sold for).