• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Image interlocking Portacio variants

26 posts in this topic

These are a set of books I've been working on as I can for a few years now. I finally got the last book slabbed and based on what the census shows this is one of probably only 4 complete sets available at this grade. Who knows if there is a complete set other than this one graded. I do know of at least one other person building a set, his is yellow label SS even :applause: This has been a real labor of love. Anytime I go to a show I search for these just on instinct and have a fairly decent number of raws left after this. Obviously based on the picture there is a little room for upgrade, it would be nice to have it all in high grade, but I haven't put a lot into these books and want to keep it that way :lol: Just wanted to share :)

i-JhFzxvx-X3.jpg

I love this interlocking cover set. I don't know why, but I end up pulling many of these books whenever I see them. Are you looking to get them all upgraded to 9.8 at some point?

Actually I recently sold the following set from my Ebay store not long ago.

1510_zpsa4269437.jpg

:hi:

Yes, I have a short box of these, and when I can get Campbell, Portacio, Lee, and myself and some money in the same room, I will knock it out.

This was one of the "big deals" back in 1994. The Kindred and the Deathblow were the first two that came out, and they were $15-$25 books. Then came Stormwatch, Wildcats, and Gen 13, and those also became hot.

But, sadly, Union, Wetworks, and Team 7 took so long in coming out, that by the time they did, everyone had moved on.

Still...this was the first time anyone had done anything this ambitious, and it was really, really cool for a few months in 1994.

I still get a thrill when I run across these in boxes for sale. Those small logos and pink/purple/blue backgrounds really set everything off quite nicely.

:cloud9:

I love this interlocking cover set. I don't know why, but I end up pulling many of these books whenever I see them. Are you looking to get them all upgraded to 9.8 at some point?

1510_zpsa4269437.jpg

Yep, 5 of the 8 are already 9.8 so I'll keep subbing the other three until I hit 9.8 on them as well most likely. Most of those are first tries except the Gen 13. I think that is the second 9.6 I got.

:hi:

Yes, I have a short box of these, and when I can get Campbell, Portacio, Lee, and myself and some money in the same room, I will knock it out.

This was one of the "big deals" back in 1994. The Kindred and the Deathblow were the first two that came out, and they were $15-$25 books. Then came Stormwatch, Wildcats, and Gen 13, and those also became hot.

But, sadly, Union, Wetworks, and Team 7 took so long in coming out, that by the time they did, everyone had moved on.

Still...this was the first time anyone had done anything this ambitious, and it was really, really cool for a few months in 1994.

I still get a thrill when I run across these in boxes for sale. Those small logos and pink/purple/blue backgrounds really set everything off quite nicely.

:cloud9:

Depending on how many candidates I have, I might join you in that room :)

1510_zpsa4269437.jpg

Yep, 5 of the 8 are already 9.8 so I'll keep subbing the other three until I hit 9.8 on them as well most likely. Most of those are first tries except the Gen 13. I think that is the second 9.6 I got.

When I see this I just laugh. DC comics has gold on their hands and have some interesting characters that they just completely ignore. Everything is about Batman or Superman and Justice League. Just take a look at all those characters. It does not seem right that these are in the DC universe now.

Whilce was just at the show in Secaucus this weekend, I got a few things signed, and two sketch covers, but not any of those covers. He did mention that he is probably doing NYCC this year. You will probably see a ton of Longshot SS popping up for sale soon since he was there with Ann Nocenti and Art Adams.

These are a set of books I've been working on as I can for a few years now. I finally got the last book slabbed and based on what the census shows this is one of probably only 4 complete sets available at this grade. Who knows if there is a complete set other than this one graded. I do know of at least one other person building a set, his is yellow label SS even :applause: This has been a real labor of love. Anytime I go to a show I search for these just on instinct and have a fairly decent number of raws left after this. Obviously based on the picture there is a little room for upgrade, it would be nice to have it all in high grade, but I haven't put a lot into these books and want to keep it that way :lol: Just wanted to share :)

i-JhFzxvx-X3.jpg

Fun Memories.... a few years back I tried to slab a few sets... but unfortunately I could not find a good looking raw. I even had the idea of having Portacio SS some of them... but again could not find a good raw