• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS - Avengers #1 1963 CGC 6.5

60 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting the photos

As I have told some of the others (exactly)

"I don't mean to burden you all with a lengthy explanation - but I figure to get this said if any of you did indeed saw and/ or took part in that auction. The reason why I'm not putting this to places like ebay again is because for the second time on ebay with this book, I have had someone win the bid BUT he was the same person who won it before. He never paid me! How this happened, I don't know - but he used a different name and alias for both times he won. The addresses to send to were exactly identical. He basically violated ebay policy and I have notified them about it."

And I will add, yeah, i don't use this forum much. Sorry for not being a truly active member in that respect.

That said, please go find that post I made if you want more details. i just posted about this today.

Thanks for posting the photos

As I have told some of the others (exactly)

"I don't mean to burden you all with a lengthy explanation - but I figure to get this said if any of you did indeed saw and/ or took part in that auction. The reason why I'm not putting this to places like ebay again is because for the second time on ebay with this book, I have had someone win the bid BUT he was the same person who won it before. He never paid me! How this happened, I don't know - but he used a different name and alias for both times he won. The addresses to send to were exactly identical. He basically violated ebay policy and I have notified them about it."

And I will add, yeah, i don't use this forum much. Sorry for not being a truly active member in that respect.

That said, please go find that post I made if you want more details. i just posted about this today.

1st of all... there is a 2nd chance offer on auctions. You could just let the second highest bidder get it...

:gossip:

FYI, eBay charges a max of $250 per auction. You can offer it to the 2nd highest bidder for $4,368.88 or even the 3rd highest bidder for $4250 & still get at least $4000 after eBay fees.

that would be helpful only if people actually do get back to you and actually commit to buy.

I have given an attempt with that. I am not going to settle for a price where I'll find myself losing money on what I paid for initially after all the fees are sorted out.

Ebay charges 10% unless you have some kind of long term contract with them.

I just sold a $7370 item and they took $737 before paypal fees!

And you didn't think about setting up at $20 eBay store which would have capped the fee at $250 prior to listing this item? :doh:

I think you really need to see this.

http://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feecalculator

This is a good place to sell but you're gonna find it tough to sell a big book without a track record or someone who'll vouch for you. It's asking for a lot of trust. Selling some cheaper items to build up a track record or choosing a long time, trusted board member as a go between could also work.

I think you really need to see this.

http://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feecalculator

This is a good place to sell but you're gonna find it tough to sell a big book without a track record or someone who'll vouch for you. It's asking for a lot of trust. Selling some cheaper items to build up a track record or choosing a long time, trusted board member as a go between could also work.

Agreed. All this drama doesn't help either. I think a simple explanation in your original post would have been appropriate. Even a short statement like, 'After two non paying sales on E-Bay I would like to try and sell this book here' would have gone a long way toward a better reception. While I now believe this is a real sales thread, I honestly thought your original post was a prank.

Not everyone is as skilled with online communication and it takes time to adapt to the anal culture here. But there's good advice in this thread if you're able to block out the snarky tone.

I just wanna say welcome and good luck with the sale. I think $4k is a steal considering the sale prior was $5k. The only time this book has really slipped was during the housing crisis. I'm trying to get close to $5k myself but it looks like it wont happen here at this time. Maybe once the movie is out (:

The other option is to submit it to Comic Link if you have to sell. Same 10% fee but the buyers tend to be more serious.

Thanks for the advice. You're right - some of the tone here is really not to my liking exactly, but it's the internet. Dealt with this kind of stuff for 20 years (never with selling, however).

Thanks for the good wishes on this book. I hope there is someone out there who can appreciate it more than me.

uhhh, drama?

As far as what I told you and everyone else, this is what happened to me

1. the guy won the first bid - never paid despite the invoice and private message I sent him. ebay goes ahead and credits me back and allows me to relist again.

2. I decided to wait and relist the item a month later. same guy wins the bid, but uses a different alias and name. Address was identical to the last "winner." Ebay gets notified and I was authorized to sell it via relist again or second chance.

Now, compare all these facts to the REAL drama people have had with "Armen" here on this forum and you tell me who had it worse. As far as I'm concerned, my issues with him are very cut and dry.

uhhh, drama?

As far as what I told you and everyone else, this is what happened to me

1. the guy won the first bid - never paid despite the invoice and private message I sent him. ebay goes ahead and credits me back and allows me to relist again.

2. I decided to wait and relist the item a month later. same guy wins the bid, but uses a different alias and name. Address was identical to the last "winner." Ebay gets notified and I was authorized to sell it via relist again or second chance.

Now, compare all these facts to the REAL drama people have had with "Armen" here on this forum and you tell me who had it worse. As far as I'm concerned, my issues with him are very cut and dry.

Don't worry. You're fine.

Nice book BTW.

I don't think the buying culture is "anal" here. You get what you pay for and when you list on the CGC boards you pay "nothing".

There are plenty of serious buyers who are cautious because it is "free to sell" here and without references the culture here tends to be a little skeptical. It doesn't take much time to understand that if you want to sell something it helps to have references.