• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Silver Surfer 4, Resub Candidate? RESULTS IN!

68 posts in this topic

I don't believe it has been pressed, but I'm not 100% sure.

Maybe I'll crack it and get it pressed

The spine on this squarebound is perfectly ' square'. I would be very concerned that pressing it will

smash the spine down. It may not hurt the grade but a flattened spine on a squarebound is not attractive.

I'm open to any advice or opinions. I really just feel like this book deserves a higher grade.

This book looks pretty flat. The pressing wont undo the color breaking creases, I've also had a 9.2 GSMX1 pressed, and it came back, 9.2 :acclaim:

Did it look any better or did you just think, "meh, whatever."

If I crack it, I won't be pressing it. But I am still thinking about cracking it hm

The spine on this squarebound is perfectly ' square'. I would be very concerned that pressing it will

smash the spine down. It may not hurt the grade but a flattened spine on a squarebound is not attractive.

I'm open to any advice or opinions. I really just feel like this book deserves a higher grade.

This book looks pretty flat. The pressing wont undo the color breaking creases, I've also had a 9.2 GSMX1 pressed, and it came back, 9.2 :acclaim:

If I crack it, I won't be pressing it. But I am still thinking about cracking it hm

It's a perfectly square spine,not so easy to come by with these books.

I agree I was looking at some GS books last night and man oh man can they end up with warped funky looking spines.

I agree I was looking at some GS books last night and man oh man can they end up with warped funky looking spines.

I have an 8.0 of this book,and the only thing I truly care about is the spine. I don't know what it is but I try to find an economical book that has zero spine stress,not always an easy task. Must be my OCD. :eek:

Maybe I'll crack it and get it pressed hm

The book does look better. I was shocked that I didn't get a bump in grade.

hm

Yes, CGC is wonky about square bound books. Tough books to grade, and the only ones in which I can't say "this is 90% certain to grade X.X"

But pressing by an experienced and careful presser will not damage the spine in any way. Choose your presser carefully.

A competent presser would *not* flatten the spine.

Joey at CFP pressed a squarebound comic of mine, around half a year ago.....got a 9.8 on the book and the spine was not "smashed" at all.

....and the area which really needs the pressing done is the LRC, so as long as you are judicious in choosing your presser, you'll be fine.

If you're gonna crack it anyways, and you have a good presser available. It might be worth it to just get it pressed while you are at it. I good presser will let you know what kind of a bump would be possible.

If you're gonna crack it anyways, and you have a good presser available. It might be worth it to just get it pressed while you are at it. I good presser will let you know what kind of a bump would be possible.

I know a presser, but I wouldn't trust him with this book.

Don't know any other pressers. :facepalm:

I know a presser, but I wouldn't trust him with this book.

Don't know any other pressers. :facepalm:

Man, just drop Joeypost on this board a PM or go to his CFP site.

He does all of the pressing for the other company, so you know he is on point....he will press the SS 4 and dry clean it,as needed/requested....and send it right to CGC for grading for you.

I am sure he has before/after examples on his site of squarebounds that he has pressed, he does excellent work.....

He pressed a copy of Batman Adventures Annual # 1 for me (a modern squarebound with a glue binding) and it came back to me slabbed at 9.8...........Among around 20 other comics, I also just sent him an Avengers Annual # 7 (bronze key with a glued binding + staples, same kind of spine as your SS 4) and I am fully confident he will do excellent work on the entire lot.

You could also contact Matt Wilson, of CCS, and request that he press/dry clean the book for you, then have it sent directly to CGC.

Those are the ***TOP TWO PRESSERS*** that any boardie who has had them work on their books, will certainly vouch for.......problem solved (thumbs u

Now this is a number of years ago, when Matt was the only game in town. He would set up at conventions with Ritter and for something nominal, like 3 or 4 bucks a book, he would give a resto check and a pressing evaluation. One of the books I showed him was a Silver Age annual and he said, because of the fact the book is bound with glue, he did not recommend pressing it. The spine on Al's SS 4 is so perfectly square as is. I'll admit CGC does not appear to downgrade for a 'flat spine' = Al may get a higher grade BUT will it look better ? Sometimes you have to consider the appearance of the book and not the label. Just saying .