• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggest me some cheap bronze age comics

54 posts in this topic

Here are some other great bronze picks not mentioned yet, the Moore Swamp Things are must Have!

Miller's Daredevil run 158- 191 and I have to mention early Silver Age Daredevil 9-50

Warlock 1-15 Starlin's masterpiece

Early Defenders 1-100 and Giant size 1-10- awesome reads.

Claremont's X-men 94-222 Bronze run, most issues are $1-10 which isnt bad given the importance of the work.

These are all really great recommendations, especially the X-Men stuff - but TBH, you are going to struggle to find a half decent copy of a lot of those books at that price.

Miller's DD run is absolutely outstanding.

Can I add;

Red Sonja

Micronauts

Iron Man. Start with 118 and go from there. If you want to work backwards later, it's still one of the least expensive mainline marvel titles to complete.

+1

The first issues are great, great stories, and also the ones in the range you suggested. (thumbs u

Kirby's Cap Run. 193-214. Madbomb, Rollerball, Arnim Zola....

It would seem we are a minority on this – I consider these stories little masterpieces (a part of them, at least) but I admit they are not easy to read. Kirby was a genius, they are "hyperfuturistic" and at the same time feature his reminiscences of World War Two. Awesome on so many levels.

I'm staying away from a lot of books like the ONeil/Adams Bats, Miller's DD, Byrne X-Men, etc. run because of the $5-10 per book budget limit.

Micronauts 1-12

John Carter of Mars

Savage Sword of Conan (some of the best stories out there)

Howard the Duck (minus the first issue)

Ton of other stuff, but unless you're OK with tattered readers, most are not less than $10. At $10 a book, you might also have a shot at Aparo's Spectre run in Adventure Comics as well.

I'm surprised no one has suggested Avengers pre-200. I love the run from 150-200, and there are some fantastic art and storylines!

In readable Vg to Fine, they should only be a few bucks each, although some issues have popped.

Iron Man. Start with 118 and go from there. If you want to work backwards later, it's still one of the least expensive mainline marvel titles to complete.

+1

The first issues are great, great stories, and also the ones in the range you suggested. (thumbs u

The Arsenal storyline is good too. He later comes back in Avengers Annual and the Hulk.

Tomb Of Dracula

&

Master Of Kung Fu.

Both series are terrific reads, and Werewolf By Night I'd consider a close second, but I think only MoKF meets the op's pricing criteria.

If pricing is somewhat flexible, I'd add Captain America's run written by Steve Englehart beginning around 170 (Secret Empire) through 192. To echo vaillants earlier suggestion of Kirby's run starting with 193-214, it's one of my personal favorites, but I hear just as many people that hate it as love it. Kirby can be polarizing at times.

mid grade alan moore swamp things are still affordable and it's one of the best runs of all time.

Heartily seconded. I stopped collecting comic books after this run was completed and recently began collecting again after nearly thirty years. The Moore ST's blew my doors off nearly every issue. I have ordered the complete set of PB reprints from a friend and am greatly looking forward to reading them again as I search out high grade CGC copies for my collection.

mid grade alan moore swamp things are still affordable and it's one of the best runs of all time.

Heartily seconded. I stopped collecting comic books after this run was completed and recently began collecting again after nearly thirty years. The Moore ST's blew my doors off nearly every issue. I have ordered the complete set of PB reprints from a friend and am greatly looking forward to reading them again as I search out high grade CGC copies for my collection.

I reread the full run last year after about 10 years and I blown away all over again. Enjoy! :)

The Death of Jean DeWolf storyline (Spectacular Spider-Man 107-110) is a classic.

Spectacular Spider-Man almost defines late Copper / Bronze for me. Fun stories and a decent expansion of the Spidey mythos. Spectacular # 23 (with Moon Knight) was one of the first comics I ever bought.

Kull, Red Wolf, Man-Thing, and pretty much every Marvel horror title, What If?, Adventure Comics w/ The Spectre, Jonah Hex, and I'll add in my favorite non-Big 2: E-Man from Charlton Comics

Oh right. Jonah Hex. Both Jonah Hex & Ghost Rider are really good, and generally self-contained stories. Not as good as Tomb of Dracula, but each follows the same template:

Hero rides into town. Fights bad guy on behalf of wronged innocent &/or damsel in distress. Rides off into the sunset at the end.

Surprisingly easy & fun reads.