• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for older collectors...

82 posts in this topic

So 25-30 boxes is a burden,

If I could get down to 25-30 long boxes..., I would feel like I don't have much left..., :/

I know a guy who retired and opened up a comic shop for fun. Now he spends his time running the store and setting up at shows... which is great if you can afford to have fun this way.

Considering that the market has moved online and you guys are all here is a good sign. At least you're computer literate. Many older collectors can't make heads or tails out of eBay and end up just dumping their books dirt cheap to younger flippers or some used book store.

I wouldn't say there is an urgency but good timing will definitely help us to achieve top dollar. The problem for me is... I keep buying more than I sell. Comics are a drug and I'm addicted!! Is there a Betty Ford for comics? :o

Work made me sort of keep up with technology. This place taught me more, so I can do stuff like this: slow but steady

My youthful dream was to open up a comic shop. However, hanging out in many comic shops when I was in my 20s taught me that personal contact with nerds on a daily basis would lead to insanity.

I don't have much urgency. As my unca' Howie, the Great Lizard, says, "boy, we lizards don't just die, we have to be killed!" Which is pretty much the case.

I'm a comicholic too - nothing gives me buzz better than puttin' the :takeit: to something saaaaaaaaahweeeeeeeeeet! :banana:

My wife and kids know who to get in touch with in case something bad happened but maybe when I'm in my 70's I might start selling it off. (shrug)

I just turned 60 (a youthful 60 if I may say so) on NYE 2014...plus I had a small house fire in September 2014 which I knocked down pretty quick but believe me if we hadn't been home (4:30am on a Friday morning) my whole wood frame house would've burned down in10-15 minutes...so that kind of spooked me and gave me the nudge to start paring down.

My grand ambition was to achieve set runs of ASM 1-50...FF 1-55...maybe 100 and JIM 83-125 in 9.0 slabbed or better...but I finally came to the conclusion that the JIM set was just about impossible for me...and I'd have a better shot at paring down to 2 sets in lieu of 3...

So now I'm not abandoning the ASM set (as I recently sold off 21-29 here plus some issues in the 30s). I am focusing on completing 1-20 in 9.0 or better. Just won the #11 2nd Doc Ock in a comicconnect auction for $3100. It's a CBCS graded book and my first CBCS purchase...so hopefully I agree with the 9.0 grade and it is parallel with CGC (not that CGC is infallible)...but I've asked around and everyone I know that has dealt with them or has graded books from them are happy with their overall grading and say it's pretty much tantamount with CGC...

ASM 11 has been super elusive and super difficult in 9.0 or better...the last CGC 9.0 I saw about a year or two ago went for $5K on a Doug Schmell/Pedigree Grand Auction but I don't like to bid on Doug's auctions not that I necessarily could afford or was willing to shell out $5K at the time...so I am very happy with the book but don't have it in hand yet...next week or so and I will show it around...

So then I will only need 2 and 3 but they will both be over $5K books in 9.0 so I've got to clear a few things out...

Also I am keeping some later keys...ASM 30-33/39/40 and 50 right now...

Same goes for the FF I will be focusing on 1-20 but that will be much more difficult...which is why I pretty much gave up on the JIM 83-125 run although I will miss those books as well.

So for the FFs I need 2/3/4/5/6/9/10/12...I don't care about the 1 as I have my original #1 from 1971 I purchased for 50-cents...so that is my #1 and that is my keeper... lol

But I have yet to wholesale the FFs for sale...sold #28 but I will be putting some of those up soon from 21 up. Gonna keep some later keys as well...36/45/46/48-50 maybe...maybe 51 9.2 W Twin Cities pedigree...maybe my 9.4 75...sold my 52 9.0 about a year and half ago which I guess I regret but it helped me pay for my Spidey 1 so I can't complain...

And I have very clear instructions to my wife, 3 daughters and son should I die in a fiery car wreck tomorrow what to do for them to cash out and not get burned...

I know this is an important subject but damn depressing. The books I don't sell in the next year or two I'll leave for my daughters to sell, keep, etc. I certainly don't want to leave them with too many books. They don't have any real interest in comics.

I do not feel it as depressing… I think it also helps to realize what is (and has been) truly important for you in comics – and this will also help to make the right decisions. :)

I know it is difficult, especially for some people (me included) to give away books and comics… but we can see as we go.

My wife and kids know who to get in touch with in case something bad happened but maybe when I'm in my 70's I might start selling it off. (shrug)

I like your style! lol

Ok who wants my entire Woodgod collection????

That is definitely an interesting offer – not much space consuming as well. hm

I have to make a decision soon though - I keep screwing certain things up and am not married - if I don't find someone willing to put up with my nonsense I would like to see my family or whoever is around after I pass benefit in some way.

Basically - I don't want my brother coming within 100ft of my stuff. I may have to have a sit down with a cousin of mine and appoint two people I know of to provide guidance or something.

Do you have some friends knowledgeable about comics which know – more or less – the value of your material? If not, the solution you prospected it’s the best one.

Also, if you collected certain things by some criteria, i.e. for a research or so, and would like to keep them together, you should find someone enough learned to pass them on. :)

I find I am a different collector than I was 10 years ago.

Ten years ago I made the decision to cut the raw collection in half with many Bronze-Copper and Moderns getting the purge. I sold off Batman (around the 200's) to whatever was current at the time, a complete GI Joe Collection and most of my Valiants along with a lot of other books. The only things I have replaced are the GI Joes and that is in Hardcover Masterpiece Collections.

I could easily see myself starting to pare down the collection even more as I start to sell ASM duplicates and a bunch of things I have been holding in a "wait and see" or books that I have lost interest in. Who knows where I will be in another ten years.

As far as instructions... I have an idea as to what to do.

At what age or what volume does the desire to pare down one's collection strike? I'm 35, and at about 40 long boxes. Currently, I'm not expanding into new titles, just filling holes in all of the runs I started but never finished. There's very little I'd want to be rid of, and what I wouldn't miss isn't in demand.

No wife or kids here. If I'm ever in an accident, my folks know to bring my books to the local store I grew up in, and they'll be treated right. Later on, I'm not so sure what I'll do.

At what age or what volume does the desire to pare down one's collection strike? I'm 35, and at about 40 long boxes. Currently, I'm not expanding into new titles, just filling holes in all of the runs I started but never finished. There's very little I'd want to be rid of, and what I wouldn't miss isn't in demand.

No wife or kids here. If I'm ever in an accident, my folks know to bring my books to the local store I grew up in, and they'll be treated right. Later on, I'm not so sure what I'll do.

Then I think it’s fine – it depends on the motivations of your collecting. Aside from the cases I hypotized (themed collecting for some research) as long as who has to sell on your behalf gets treated fairly, I believe it’s all good. :)

All is well, except for all those comics I'm drowning in. Maybe I ought to sell some to you.

No.1 cause of death among boardies...

No no. No.1 cause of death among boardies is our significant other finding out how much we spend on "kids books".

Some comic book collectors have significant others??? I thought they were all terminally single like I am.

All is well, except for all those comics I'm drowning in. Maybe I ought to sell some to you.

No no. No.1 cause of death among boardies is our significant other finding out how much we spend on "kids books".

Some comic book collectors have significant others??? I thought they were all terminally single like I am.

lol – Not really…

My 31 year marriage was faked, much like the moon-landing. And so is the debt related to the three kid's college attendance :cool:

My 31 year marriage was faked, much like the moon-landing. And so is the debt related to the three kid's college attendance :cool:

Adopt me?

Adopt me?

I don't think Tupenny would appreciate another mistress. But you're welcome to PM him.

Adopt me?

I don't think Tupenny would appreciate another mistress. But you're welcome to PM him.

Ugh pass. I'm too lazy to be a mistress

Adopt me?

You'd only have to lay there and bite the pillow :shrug:

Adopt me?

images.jpeg

Adopt me?

You guys are killing me , I just laughed out loud and scared my wife :D