• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone else think a 15% buyer's premium is a little much?

36 posts in this topic

I think the 15% BP Heritage charges sucks! Christo_pull_hair.gif

You may not be alone there, but then such high buyer (and seller) premiums are pretty standard for all major auction houses. The way Forumites handle it is by factoring in the fee into their high bids. FWIW.

I think 15% friken' sukks! This is why I never even consider bidding on Heritage's auctions even though they have nice stuff. I think they should just let the bidding go then deduct 15% with the seller off the top of the auction's end. I know that other auctions do this sort of thing (like art auctions) but we are the comic community. C'mon, we are not these ritzy bums! We are ground pounders! We are comic book lovers! Holy [#@$%!!!]!

As a bidder, I just bid 10% to 20% less than I otherwise would have, and I have won plenty of stuff for at-market or below-market prices. What really makes no sense to me is why so many people list with them given the 28% thunder they take--everything I've ever won yielded less-than-market prices for the sellers! confused.gif

In reality, Heritage has a 30% seller's premium. If I'm going to pay $100 for a book, I'm not suddenly going to pay $115 b/c it's on Heritage. I only look at the bottom line when bidding on books on Heritage - how much is this going to cost me? I don't sell anything on Heritage, so they can charge 100% for all I care...really makes no difference. confused-smiley-013.gif

One thing that is possible (actually likely), is that Heritage doesn't make the seller pay the whole 15% (in some cases it might be zero), depending on how much they consign and what reserves they are willing to put on the books. Regardless of what people think, there is a reason they are still in business. For many types of books GA, very HG Silver-Age and original art, they must be getting a high enough price for people to keep consigning. Plus, I believe they will give cash advances (which is a good thing assuming you want to get a reasonable price for your item, but get some cash not).

From the buyers point of view, IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.

If you, the buyer think if Heritage eliminated the 15% BP, you would get the books for 15% less, you're crazy. I know I would, and most other collectors would just bid 15% more.

SO IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.

Well, don't bid on one of their auctions on e-bay. They charge the buyer 20% insane.gif

Isnt that against ebay rules?

I'm sure Ebay looks the other way when it involves a big company.

screwy.gif

Well, don't bid on one of their auctions on e-bay. They charge the buyer 20% insane.gif

Isnt that against ebay rules?

I'm sure Ebay looks the other way when it involves a big company.

screwy.gif
Put up any more crappy books for me to bid on and not win?