• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants #98 Poly bagged with watch ????

21 posts in this topic

This is very likely a joke. The bag and the watch are from the italian edition of X-Force #0 (reprinting the New Mutants issues), so probably someone put a NM #98 in the bag as a joke.

X-Force #0 also came, alternatively, with pairs of fluorescent glasses.

qkh1e1Th.jpg

fzncTHwh.jpg

This is very likely a joke. The bag and the watch are from the italian edition of X-Force #0 (reprinting the New Mutants issues), so probably someone put a NM #98 in the bag as a joke.

X-Force #0 also came, alternatively, with pairs of fluorescent glasses.

qkh1e1Th.jpg

fzncTHwh.jpg

For the love of everything Holy please tell me you are selling that set. I have been trying to collect the Italian set for almost six years now and only have five really chewed up issues...

I have to say Claudio is one of the most interesting people in any thread to follow. Not only does he appear to be a good guy but he is extremely passionate about the actual stories and history behind our funny books. And sometimes he just pulls an obscure answer out of nowhere like this poly bag. (worship)

I did not mean a "joke" in the sense it’s not real, I mean a joke in the sense someone rebagged the cardboard insert and the watch from X-Force #0 with that apparently unusual NM #98.

I have a potential answer: when they restarted publishing Marvels here, in the late 1980s, they generally avoided the graphic adaptations of covers (and even splash pages).

So, while they might have adapted the title pages, the covers reproduced inside the books did not have a graphic adaptation of the title logo (in italian), and especially after 1994 (the year they launched the Marvel Italia imprint, which then became Panini Comics later on) they reproduced the cover in the insides straight away from the originals (with blank and/or direct UPC boxes).

So, that mysterious cover could actually be simply the book X-Force #0 with the cover removed: since the first story is New Mutants #98, that might simply be page 1.

But that is just an hypothesis… :shrug:

@Bronx: thanks, but not really! :blush:

I see he’s solarcadet (Tony), he is a member here and a good acquaintance of Tim and Matthew, the founders of FCC.

I doubt such a thing exists, and I’d be curious to hear Tony on this – where he got it.

The fact that Liefeld says he never saw such a thing before confirms my suspects, I hope he has picked it up for cheap because it really appears as something "made up"… hm

I see he’s solarcadet (Tony),

Ohhhh...

he is a member here

No, he's not, not anymore.

and a good acquaintance of Tim and Matthew, the founders of FCC.

I doubt such a thing exists, and I’d be curious to hear Tony on this – where he got it.

The fact that Liefeld says he never saw such a thing before confirms my suspects, I hope he has picked it up for cheap because it really appears as something "made up"… hm

I'm sure many here hope that's not the case. lol

Yeah I actually have been chatting with the guy over FB he said he purchased it from a collector in Italy, he showed me a lot of his collections even that 129 lot. It's stupidly big I have never seen so many different covers of one book. But since this guy is a stupidly good collector I have no reason to doubt that this is real. Apparently Rob took his details and said if he ever sells it he wants first Dibs. I'll pick his brain on it a bit more because I told him I was interested in it too.

But since this guy is a stupidly good collector I have no reason to doubt that this is real.

Tony might be a "stupidly good collector" but I am italian so it‘s likely I know a bit more about the editions, and although I admit it’s just an hypothesis I still think my hypothesis is valid.

All it would take would be to have the book in hand: you can clearly judge from the paper if that’s how I hypnotized, and also if the polybag wrapping has been undone and redone.

Unfortunately the strike does not surprise me much, given how he often behaved – and I believe his foreign collector acquaintances and friends advised him to lower the tones but he apparently did not listen. :shrug: