• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Water Damage or chemical?

8 posts in this topic

Hey I bought this jla #1 and I'm getting my tax returns soon so I want to send this comic off and I'm 90% sure these are water stains but I just want to make sure

Front cover

JLA%201%20water%20stain%20.5%20copy.jpg

Back of front cover

JLA%201%20water%20stain%20.5%20copy%20pic%202.jpg

Hey I bought this jla #1 and I'm getting my tax returns soon so I want to send this comic off and I'm 90% sure these are water stains but I just want to make sure

Front cover

Back of front cover

Probably water but I'm not sure the origin of the stain makes a difference to the grading of the book.

Front cover

Back of front cover

Probably water but I'm not sure the origin of the stain makes a difference to the grading of the book.

thanks however my intention is to figure out if it's restoration because the grade is around a .5/1.0 range so water damage won't matter to me but restoration will and thanks for the input (thumbs u

I doubt it is restoration. If it is, it went horribly wrong. I am 99% sure it is water (or some other liquid) damage.

I'd up that 99%sure to 99.99% sure that the stain is from water damage and not some attempt at restoration.

Even if it is some sort of chemical applicaton, and not water, I am as sure as can be that you will get a blue label, when the book is graded, as no restoration was performed.

The paper abrasion/color flecking is fairly common on older books with water stains:

1)

Water comes into contact with the a portion of the cover, ripples said area which causes the book to lie unevenly.

2)

Consequently, the inks on the rippled ( which is now raised as the book no longer lies flat) area are much more prone to color flecking due to abrasions from common handling/rubbing.

I doubt it is restoration. If it is, it went horribly wrong. I am 99% sure it is water (or some other liquid) damage.

I'd up that 99%sure to 99.99% sure that the stain is from water damage and not some attempt at restoration.

Even if it is some sort of chemical applicaton, and not water, I am as sure as can be that you will get a blue label, when the book is graded, as no restoration was performed.

The paper abrasion/color flecking is fairly common on older books with water stains:

1)

Water comes into contact with the a portion of the cover, ripples said area which causes the book to lie unevenly.

2)

Consequently, the inks on the rippled ( which is now raised as the book no longer lies flat) area are much more prone to color flecking due to abrasions from common handling/rubbing.

Thanks for the informative answer I never knew those things can happen one more thing to add to my journal :)