• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Rogue One
1 1

624 posts in this topic

when a little girl rips the film up like this, how can you think this was a end all to be all movie???

I thought her review of the movie was suuuuper boring.

And bad. She mentions Saw only being in one scene, but he was in two. And his inclusion explains why Jyn was so experienced as a soldier. I gave up just after that, as her review was too bad to continue.

He actually was in 3 scenes, but I agree with her that Saw was in 3 "nothing" scenes.

-He opens the hatch and looks down

-he is involved in some weird tentacle interrogation scene with the pilot guy ( which in my opinion was awful)

-his death scene.

I don't think his inclusion in Rogue One explained much regarding Jyn, because very little of the relationship between them was shown.

I really think Rogue One requires the viewer to have seen the animated Star Wars films/ shows, or read some graphic novel/ book especially ones that featured Saw. Otherwise you have no real idea who he is.

I really think Rogue One requires the viewer to have seen the animated Star Wars films/ shows, or read some graphic novel/ book especially ones that featured Saw. Otherwise you have no real idea who he is.

For the casual fan, you are correct...luckily, there is some help coming...

Second half of season 3 looks pretty awesome, and the show itself has a been on a steady trajectory toward attracting a more adult audience since it began. New episodes kick off tonight.

Well, anyone who watched last night's 2-episode mid-season premiere of Rebels finally knows why Saw is considered an extremist. Nice to hear Forrest Whitaker give voice to the character, who was actually much better developed then in Rogue One. The "Skywalker" reference was hilarious.

Second half of season 3 looks pretty awesome, and the show itself has a been on a steady trajectory toward attracting a more adult audience since it began. New episodes kick off tonight.

I don't really get how Rebels or even Clone Wars is supposedly a children's show. Is it simply because it's animated? The stories just seem like straight-up Star Wars stories, so if these shows are for kids, I guess all of the Star Wars movies, too, are for kids? If they're intended for kids, why does it have so much violence and carry a PG rating?

I never watched the CGI cartoon shows when they first started in 2008, but I watched the Clone Wars film and the first five episodes of the show this past weekend. Freaking good stuff. :applause: But I generally enjoyed the prequels, so perhaps my standards are too low. :blush:

I don't really get how Rebels or even Clone Wars is supposedly a children's show. Is it simply because it's animated? The stories just seem like straight-up Star Wars stories, so if these shows are for kids, I guess all of the Star Wars movies, too, are for kids? If they're intended for kids, why does it have so much violence and carry a PG rating?

I never watched the CGI cartoon shows when they first started in 2008, but I watched the Clone Wars film and the first five episodes of the show this past weekend. Freaking good stuff. :applause: But I generally enjoyed the prequels, so perhaps my standards are too low. :blush:

Without too many spoilers..there was a scene in this week's Rebel's where the main characters came upon the scene of an ambush of a Rebel scouting unit by droids. All they found were helmets and the occasional weapon. Now, if one spends a lot of time thinking about it, would droids have dragged away the dead rebels in what is otherwise an abandoned mine? No, but clearly showing a bunch of dead and decomposing bodies would not have gelled with the show's rating. It was one of the ways the show gets around the ratings issue, by implying much more of the violence than it actually shows. It's not short of action though...that it has, and it also has a fair amount of exposition, so a lot of back story is fleshed out that isn't addressed in the movies.

I also skipped the Clone Wars when it was out...largely because of the stigma that it was animated and a "kid's show". But honestly, as a whole, the series was some of the best Star Wars material produced since ESB. Anakin Skywalker was not the petulent turd he was portrayed to be in Episode 3....he was far more developed and nuanced, and a damn good battle leader. If you are a SW fan, it's worth the look, as is Rebels...and the best thing, you can watch it with your kids.

TBH The Clone Wars starting in the third season, and especially after they aged Ahsoka and updated the character models for the rest of the mains is great. It does a great job of filling in the massive holes (especially the relationship ones) that are present in the prequels, and just plain tells good Star Wars stories. Anakin actually become a character who's motivations make sense, and his journey to the dark side feels earned. Most of the stories are not kid stories, although some of the one off stories do come across as simplistic, and somewhat childish. The multipart stories work very well.

I find it somewhat sad that a "kids" show did such a vastly better job of being a the prequel to traditional Star wars than the movies did.

Edited by drotto

( which in my opinion was awful) One requires the viewer to have seen the animated Star Wars films/ shows, or read some graphic novel/ book especially ones that featured Saw. Otherwise you have no real idea who he is.

Try this for SAW

https://file.al/2cqw4c3a5ss5

I don't need any of that stuff to know who Saw was. All I needed to know is that Forest Whitaker was playing him.

Then I know he's the big, clumsy, but super intense black guy who KNOWS he's taking the morally superior high road, even at the cost of every other thing in his life. Smart enough to be the boss/teacher and be effective, but too intense and unrelenting to be liked, though respected and just a little bit feared by most.

Arrival, the Shield, Last King of Scotland, Ghost Dog, etc.

I also skipped the Clone Wars when it was out...largely because of the stigma that it was animated and a "kid's show". But honestly, as a whole, the series was some of the best Star Wars material produced since ESB.

I'm enjoying it immensely, more than anything on television in a while. I'm ten episodes in...particularly loving General Grievous. Really cool character that didn't get enough screen time in Episode 3 to get a feel for who he is and why he's a cyborg.

I also skipped the Clone Wars when it was out...largely because of the stigma that it was animated and a "kid's show". But honestly, as a whole, the series was some of the best Star Wars material produced since ESB.

I'm enjoying it immensely, more than anything on television in a while. I'm ten episodes in...particularly loving General Grievous. Really cool character that didn't get enough screen time in Episode 3 to get a feel for who he is and why he's a cyborg.

My only problem with the Clone Wars (which overall I very much like), is just how stupid and worthless the basic battle droids are. They are beyond cannon fodder and could not protect a goldfish let alone mount an effective army. They make all Storm Troopers look like expert marksmen. Plus hearing "Roger, roger" gets really old. Granted they were almost as bad in the movies.

My only problem with the Clone Wars (which overall I very much like), is just how stupid and worthless the basic battle droids are. They are beyond cannon fodder and could not protect a goldfish let alone mount an effective army. They make all Storm Troopers look like expert marksmen. Plus hearing "Roger, roger" gets really old. Granted they were almost as bad in the movies.

I think they were largely treated as tongue-in-cheek buffoons for the older viewers, and silly simpletons for the kids watching. There was a string of episodes where at least one droid would make a hilarious comment right before buying the farm....I think it just became a running gag for the writers

This is just from the first season:

Before seeing season 1 episode 10 of Clone Wars, I assumed General Grievous was a cyborg for the same reason Anakin is one--because he was maimed in battle and they re-built his body with cybernetic parts. But he reveals in that episode that he chose to have his body replaced with cybernetic parts to become a more effective fighter. That casts him as a completely different and more interesting character. :banana:

I want to get through Clone Wars and then start watching Rebels. Has anyone seen Rebels available from any of the streaming services?

Before seeing season 1 episode 10 of Clone Wars, I assumed General Grievous was a cyborg for the same reason Anakin is one--because he was maimed in battle and they re-built his body with cybernetic parts. But he reveals in that episode that he chose to have his body replaced with cybernetic parts to become a more effective fighter. That casts him as a completely different and more interesting character. :banana:

I want to get through Clone Wars and then start watching Rebels. Has anyone seen Rebels available from any of the streaming services?

I have the entire Rebels run as MKV files.

Movie has nearly cleared $980 mil. worldwide. Safe bet on 1 bil. now?

It will make a billion. Looks like China isn't much of a help though from what I've read.

Cap: CW #1 WW in 2016. Would have thought R1 would pass it but that's not happening.

Edited by paperheart

Movie has nearly cleared $980 mil. worldwide. Safe bet on 1 bil. now?

It will make a billion. Looks like China isn't much of a help though from what I've read.

Cap: CW #1 WW in 2016. Would have thought R1 would pass it but that's not happening.

All thanks to one market, China. It makes sense that the Marvel movies are bending over backwards not to offend the Chinese.

Star Wars clearly doesn't appeal to that market.

Edited by rjrjr