• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Significant Issue in the Ultimate Universe?

35 posts in this topic

I'm doing something for an upcoming project and I'm trying to gauge readers' response: What's the most important issue in Marvel's Ultimate Universe and why?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

How do you define "significant?"

For instance, I'd nominate:

Ultimate Spider-Man # 1 -- First Ultimate book, became a key issue that kicked off the 2000s, started the longest interrupted run by creative team (that broke Kirby/Lee's run on FF).

Ultimates # 1 -- First black (blatantly Samuel L. Jackson) Nick Fury, which Marvel then adopted for the movies. Because of Jackson's portrayal in these movies, the average non-comic reader now thinks of Nick Fury as black.

Ultimate Fall-Out # 4 - First Miles Morales.

Ultimate Spider-Man # 1 -- First Ultimate book, became a key issue that kicked off the 2000s, started the longest interrupted run by creative team (that broke Kirby/Lee's run on FF).

Ultimates # 1 -- First black (blatantly Samuel L. Jackson) Nick Fury, which Marvel then adopted for the movies. Because of Jackson's portrayal in these movies, the average non-comic reader now thinks of Nick Fury as black.

Any way you want - personal choice, academic, your call. :D

+1 (thumbs u

That's the list right there.

My favorite besides spiderman 1 is

Ultimate fantastic four 22 - first full marvel zombies & Origin. No not 21 and CGC finally recognizes this.

This book created its own craze and multiple book series and action figures galore!!!

+1 (thumbs u

That's the list right there.

There's more to this list folks (shrug)

:gossip: black Nick Fury was in Ultimate Marvel Team-up 5 a few months before Ultimates 1 came out. Although some might consider it a cameo as it was only 2 or 3 panels.

Also add Ultimate Fantastic Four 21 - 1st Marvel Zombies

That was the white-guy Ultimate Nick Fury. I don't think we ever really got much of an explanation for that one.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought he looked SL Jackson-ish... I'll check tonight

+1 on all the books mentioned so far.

For me Ultimates #1 is the big one. It's an obvious big deal from a wider-world perspective and it also hit on all the things that made the Ultimate universe so phenomenally great when it delivered on the premise.

I would add Ultimate Spider-man #1 white variant cover : IMHO this cover started the whole "variant" phase of the industry. It used to be called "collectors cover", now it's a "variant cover"..... the 1:25 : 50 : 100 : 150 : 1,000,000,000 :applause:lol

Heck... me and my LCS didn't even knew about the white cover, and I found one at the dollar bin (in prime condition) a few months after.

I would add Ultimate Spider-man #1 white variant cover : IMHO this cover started the whole "variant" phase of the industry. It used to be called "collectors cover", now it's a "variant cover"..... the 1:25 : 50 : 100 : 150 : 1,000,000,000 :applause:lol

Heck... me and my LCS didn't even knew about the white cover, and I found one at the dollar bin (in prime condition) a few months after.

I automatically assumed that was the one he was talking about already.

-J.

:gossip: black Nick Fury was in Ultimate Marvel Team-up 5 a few months before Ultimates 1 came out. Although some might consider it a cameo as it was only 2 or 3 panels.

:gossip: the FF zombies were in issue 21. The rest of the Marvel Zombies didn't show up until 22. The CGC label is incorrect on 21.

The idea is rep'd on my list but I'm also tracking it MTU #5 as well. (thumbs u

And I'm going with an easy 21-23 for Marvel Zombies - good call on these for sure.

That was the white-guy Ultimate Nick Fury. I don't think we ever really got much of an explanation for that one.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought he looked SL Jackson-ish... I'll check tonight

First_Ultimate_Fury.jpg

Definitely not the Sam Jackson Nick Fury. He even showed up white in Ultimate X-Men before he showed up in Ultimates & was suddenly black. Marvel essentially just hand-waved it away & fans didn't really care, but I remember someone asking about it a LONG time ago & Joe Q just saying something along the lines of "it doesn't matter".