• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Major change for original X-Man

218 posts in this topic

That wasn't directed at Red84; he clearly and plainly stated that he, himself, was intolerant, thus removing him from the ranks of the hypocrite. He clearly was not pretending to be "tolerant.". My statement was a general statement to all....you know, "let US", and "OUR own"...? In fact, that statement was in response to YOU, after Red84 had made his own position quite clear (and no, I wasn't calling you a hypocrite, either, I wasn't calling anyone a hypocrite. I was warning AGAINST it.)

As an addendum to this...

There are two separate issues here: the first is "pretending to be tolerant, while not tolerating people who disagree." That is blatant hypocrisy. "Look how tolerant I am, because *I* believe this and that, and if you don't agree, you are INtolerant."

The second, and more subtle, is this: Actually being intolerant, admittedly so, and not allowing others to be intolerant, as well. That is a subtle form of hypocrisy, but it is, at least, logically consistent.

I apologize if I misread your post. However:

Your springboard is based on an erroneous assumption (that I was calling Red84 a hypocrite), and therefore all that follows is necessarily flawed.

No, my argument stands as a general principle and is actually not incompatible with what you're saying. My argument wasn't flawed if applied generally (that it's possible to be both tolerant and intolerant and maintain consistency), but its application was flawed because I assumed incorrectly that you were calling Red84 a hypocrite. It happens, and I acknowledge it in this instance. So take it as an add-on or general response to your statement. It's not hypocritical to be both tolerant and intolerant as long as one doesn't assume they possess a de facto standard of tolerance through the adoption of a socially progressive stance. If they do, they are then being a hypocrite.

I always find it amusing to argue tolerance. It's a great exercise in futility.

Just try to remember, freedom of thought & speech is really easy when it's thought & speech you agree with.

Just wanted to comment on this as the issue of freedom of speech seems to come up a lot. Freedom of speech has nothing to do with this thread or what anyone has said within this thread. Freedom of speech refers to the freedom to speak (with some limited exceptions) without governmental intrusion or punishment. No one in this thread is claiming that any poster be legally prevented from stating any of their views. People are merely stating that some views in this thread are garbage and wouldn't be held by a good person.

Just had to state this. The term freedom of speech is so often misused and its a pet peeve of mine.

Outside of this frankly ludicrous thread, who the hell cares who an entirely fictional character is shagging?

Outside of this frankly ludicrous thread, who the hell cares who an entirely fictional character is shagging?

Apparently a lot of people who don't even read modern comics are concerned about what happens in them.

People are merely stating that some views in this thread are garbage and wouldn't be held by a good person.

There ARE no "good people", and never have been. Anyone who says differently is fooling themselves, or trying to fool you, or both.

But I do find your absolutist stance to be quite interesting.

Its really apparent the last year Marvel cares not for the X-men at all.

This wont create much of a wave. X-readers that haven't quit by now wont stop because of this.

They will pick up some new readers and circulation might go up by 5% I am guessing for awhile. Marvel doesn't get their cash from the X-men anymore so really just watch them fall farther and farther down the Marvel tree.

Sadly its worse than that. With all the bitterness over not having film rights that belong to Fox Marvel is end running X-men out of comics for quite a while most likely after this big summer wide series of one shots and 3-4 issue rehashed stories like Old Man Logan.

They killed off future FF team books, Wolverine, Deadpool, changed Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's origin now they are not mutants but inhumans and Magneto isn't their father. Toys, animations, and other merchandise is shut out. Gambit and the X-Men are next. I started a petition for fans to sign if they love the x-men and want them around for future generations of readers (even DC is now starting sets of series to connect young female teenagers to help bridge that gap). Maybe it'll get their attention.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/355/831/399/stop-marvel-from-replacing-x-men-with-inhumans/

What's the gay lifestyle? Like, non-stop fiestas with sparkles, Michael bouble, and lube?

Close. According to one flamboyantly gay dude I knew in NYC, "it's just urges & a lot of holes."

He was not what I consider your average gay guy, however. He was kind of a big-time drug addict, too.

:)

-slym

So Jean calls Bobby out on being closeted, and he acknowledges that his future self is still stuck doing the same. He may not change.

I remember speculation that Iceman was gay as far back as the 80's, thought I don't know what it was based on. Family Guy even did an Iceman/ gay joke. So I figured it was something Marvel would pick up on and use eventually.

-slym