• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do dealers find the time to do some buying at Cons?

11 posts in this topic

There is some discussions about if it's fair for dealers to get first shot at all the books in the room. But how does a dealer have any time at a Con to go do some buying? Wouldn't that require you to leave your booth when everyone is walking arpund looking to buy? I'm assuming people have to use the buddy system to sell books while also being able to buy. Just seems like a lot to do on set up night without digging thru boxes.

For a large show: A dealer gets 4 passes for a show (for instance).

Him and a helper set up their booth and make sales and small talk.

The other 2 passes go to people scouting the floor looking for books, possibly to resell at that same show.

For a large show: A dealer gets 4 passes for a show (for instance).

Him and a helper set up their booth and make sales and small talk.

The other 2 passes go to people scouting the floor looking for books, possibly to resell at that same show.

I imagine the Mission Impossible theme is playing in the background for effect.

Dealers also eat and go to the bathroom so I am sure that they leave their booths plenty of times.

And I'm not trying to be a jerk - I've always assumed that someone watches their booth for short periods of time so they can do whatever.

There is some discussions about if it's fair for dealers to get first shot at all the books in the room. But how does a dealer have any time at a Con to go do some buying? Wouldn't that require you to leave your booth when everyone is walking arpund looking to buy? I'm assuming people have to use the buddy system to sell books while also being able to buy. Just seems like a lot to do on set up night without digging thru boxes.

We like to set up as early as possible, usually the day before, and then look around. Leave the tops on our boxes and toss a blanket over top. Harley Yee watches the entrance and follows incoming dealers to their tables to get first look.

Dealers also eat and go to the bathroom so I am sure that they leave their booths plenty of times.

And I'm not trying to be a jerk - I've always assumed that someone watches their booth for short periods of time so they can do whatever.

True but it's one thing to have someone watch your booth for a few minutes then have them man your booth while other dealers try to get low ball deals before the show. With the importance of both pre selling and pre buying it must be a tough choice as to which ones your time and energy.

Probably have helpers watch or sell their stuff or not open at all until they are done. Once the show starts they would be wise to be back in their booths if they are there to sell.

I had Harley try to go through my boxes as I was unloading in the parking lot. I told him that if he helped me haul in my boxes, I'd let him have first look once they were in the building. He did!...

If im done on setup day, i usually hit them up the next day before show opens. I wont hit the wall books, only the table stock. The last day of the show, ill hit up dealers on their wall books. First day of the show i try to get there as soon as the convention center opens. Gives me time to look through boxes and get back to my booth to start opening boxes for dealers to buy.

Get there early, set up fast, dig other folks' stuff the minute it's set up.

I once had the pleasure of watching Harley and Richie Muchin rassle each other in the aisle trying to get to a spinner rack full of 50's books first, lol