• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artist Compensation

10 posts in this topic

I just went to BigWow and it was a lot of fun. This was one of my first forays into getting a lot of old work signed by artists with the intent to send them off for grading by CGC. The artists asked from 5 to 30 dollars for graded signatures. Now I have no problem with this in any way shape or form but I thought what if CGC itself would send each artist some sort of compensation for each signature, an additional premium on the signature series.

Just a thought.

Reil

I always have to force certain creators to take money.

If you're putting a book in plastic for $50, throwing a creator a few bucks shouldn't be that hard to comprehend.

Agreed. But that's done in advance of the grading/encapsulation. The creator has already pocketed their ducats for that particular sig.

How would compensating creators for sigs be of any benefit to CGC?

I thought the same and then I remembered that there may be a few creators who refuse to sign for books that are to be encapsulated.

Besides if CGC were to do this they could really make certain artists exclusive in that they are the only ones that a creator signs for like Steiner sports. This would partially eliminate a segment of the competition. Imagine if Lee, Romita, Lee or any other major artists were locked into signing contracts with CGC?

Besides if CGC were to do this they could really make certain artists exclusive in that they are the only ones that a creator signs for like Steiner sports. This would partially eliminate a segment of the competition. Imagine if Lee, Romita, Lee or any other major artists were locked into signing contracts with CGC?

But then you are asking the artist to turn down money from someplace else. They are only going to do this if someone is making that money up. And I'm pretty sure that would be us.

i don't think CGC wants to get into $60 for a Neal Adams sig and $3 for a Sal Buscema sig (is he still alive?) or whatever, more record keeping them, tax paperwork, etc.

I just remember John Romita Sr. happily signing books for free at a waizardworld in the 90s, nice guy, chatting with us fans, only about three of us on line, while the line for his son was at least 75 people long. but that was before CGC and his signature didn't necessarily make the books worth more (frankly, i think they actually did for the lower grade books though, but an uncertified signature on a higher grade SA spidey, would probably hurt it)

once upon a time i thought it was cheesy for them to ask for these big signing fees, but if things are going to be CGC SSd, then I have no issue at all, and I have come to appreciate that these guys are just trying to squeeze out a living like everyone else as they aren't getting paid a lot for their work up front (how can they be with 35K print-runs on even popular books?). 2 kids and a big mortgage are an hourly reminder that you need to make as much as you can while you can because you never know what's next. when i was young and single and could live on $20K a year i was far more delusional.

I don't think there's a lot of reason for CGC to add to their current advertised costs, especially when they're not getting anything for that money. Especially since demand for all creators is not equal.

Creators can ask for any or all moneys if they want/need it.