• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Grader Notes

195 posts in this topic

Roy, you're saying "grading cycle." Once the grade is finalized it would be through the grading cycle. Why would QC or encapsulation have any say in the final grade? Are they even qualified to make a grading judgement? Would they even bother? That isn't their job.

...and everyone calling CGC needs to knock it off. No wonder they can't get anything done.

Hopefully the people answering the phones aren't grading and encapsulating.

...and everyone calling CGC needs to knock it off. No wonder they can't get anything done.

Who should people call? 1-800-MAGICMILES?

Obviously not, but when a problem (even if it isn't really a problem) has to be addressed it will likely need the attention of someone in the chain.

Maybe they could hire a few more graders or buy another encapsulation machine if they didn't have to have to have baby sitters on the phone all day.

Who should people call? 1-800-MAGICMILES?

That's only for a good time...

Obviously not, but when a problem (even if it isn't really a problem) has to be addressed it will likely need the attention of someone in the chain.

That's the great thing about reinstating the posting of grades and/or notes before shipment, people can stop calling about grades. More time to focus on grading.

Posted these questions in the Ask CGC forum. Let's see if we get a response:

It used to be that grades were visible on the invoice page once books were at the "Graded" stage. That was changed in the past and now grades for books are only visible after being marked "Shipped." Why was that policy changed? If a book is Graded, does that not mean that it has left the Grader's hands and gone for encapsulation, thus any grades should be final?

It used to be that graders' notes were visible on the invoice page once books were at the "Graded" stage. That was changed recently and now graders' notes for books are only visible after being marked "Shipped." Why was that policy changed? If a book is Graded, does that not mean that it has left the Grader's hands and gone for encapsulation, thus any notes should be final?

Roy, you're saying "grading cycle." Once the grade is finalized it would be through the grading cycle. Why would QC or encapsulation have any say in the final grade? Are they even qualified to make a grading judgement? Would they even bother? That isn't their job.

Quality control is done by graders as far I know. A few of the things they check for are correct label, that the grade matches the book and whatever else needs to be verified.

As far as the service being provided, the process is not complete until QC is done. This is standard in almost every service industry.

I may have diagnosed and repaired a customer's Mercedes Benz at 12 noon today, but the customer is never notified until the repair has been quality controlled at, say, 2 PM.

The only reason this is even up for discussion is because CGC initially allowed people to 'see behind the curtain' in the first place and then removed it, which really was probably an oversight initially on someone's part in the same way that the general public started using grading notes that were originally meant only for internal use by the graders.

Now the fact that this change CGC made can address several perception issues (including the one Transplant described) may or may not be a part of the plan, but unless a CGC rep explicitly explains why things were changed, its all just guess at their motivation. But even so, it makes perfect sense from a perception POV that the final service product is not viewed by the public unless it is complete.

lol

They need more graders, more encapsulation machines AND more customer service reps!

I don't think you or anyone else outside of CGC knows how they work, but you should quit calling them and telling them how you think they should work.

When did I say I call CGC to tell them how I think they should work?

I don't think you or anyone else outside of CGC knows how they work, but you should quit calling them and telling them how you think they should work.
lol

Why not? Informed feedback is essential to any company. Most companies pay to get people's opinions.

Of course, we do give CGC a lot of free advice on this site. :D

In my experience from a number of years ago, it happened on more than one occasion where the grade of the book was changed upon shipping. In some cases, even on multiple books in the submission. I am only guessing at their procedures but I was under the impression the following occurs......

- Upon initial inspection by a pregrader and resto check, the book was marked as Universal, PLOD, Qualified.

- Upon inspection by the graders, a grade was assigned.

- Now somewhere after the grade being assigned and the book being encapsulated, a finalizer had the opportunity to change something.

- In my experience I had a 9.6 Qualified changed to 9.0 Universal, a 9.8 changed to a 9.0 (not a typo both Universal), the pedigree designation either added or removed, and numerous one tick adjustments either way. IMO, I have no problem with CGC waiting for the book to be shipped. It seems to be the 'safer' approach.