• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Restored Books Really Such a Bad Thing??

60 posts in this topic

So, I recently received my first restored book from CGC. It was a Doctor Strange #169 with an Apparent Slight (C-1) designation. I looked over the book when it came back & didn't see anything that jumped out to me, but figured someone had gone in somewhere & touched the book up. Ah well, live & learn.

So today, I become aware that CGC has decided to make the Graders Notes available for free. I go in & it points out the color touch. It consists of one spot, approximately the size of a Sharpy Marker head, towards the top edge of the book. I could add a signature & it would seriously cover the whole spot without a problem.

I'm thinking, yeah they kill a book for one spot of ink, but allow the obscene Marvel chipping up & down the whole edge of a book or those butt ugly production creases.

I do understand when someone has gone in & really worked on a book that it should be noted, but for a pin head of ink??? Does it really need the "CGC RESTORED GRADE" Headline??

Seems like a pretty good deal being able to pick up a "restored" book like this for 1/2 price.

I'm not as anti resto as some folks, but I prefer it be done professionally.

Having said that, any and all-regardless of how little work was done-should be given a PLOD.

I wish the market was a little bit kinder to books like the DS169 that you talked about, but like I said, it shouldn't change the label designation.

Just my opinion though.

I'm not as anti resto as some folks, but I prefer it be done professionally.

Having said that, any and all-regardless of how little work was done-should be given a PLOD.

I wish the market was a little bit kinder to books like the DS169 that you talked about, but like I said, it shouldn't change the label designation.

Just my opinion though.

I agree that true restoration should be labelled as such. My question really would be, is this really restoration?

I could probably crack this book out, neatly place my initials up at the top, send it back in and get the same grade without the resto note.

I'm just ranting.

I don't mind restoration on big keys,like Detective 27,Action 1 and such. I just don't know about common books like DS 169. (shrug)

But with that said I wouldn't dismiss anyone's desires to collect what they wish. :applause:

meh

I don't have enough hard data to answer this question...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

......I buy them from time to time....

I like CGC's "Conserved Grade" designation -- part blue, part purple. Looks much more appealing than the expanse of purple.

I think CGC should have even more refined designations, but they've already made some headway with the "A, B, C" thing. It would be cool if CGC's label took things a step further and had different color schemes (or colored areas) depending on the level of restoration and if the restoration fell into the "minimal" or the "extensive" or the "downright obnoxious" categories.

A speck of color touch: Minimal. A larger area color touched to hide creases: Extensive. A whole section re-colored in with magic markers: Obnoxious.

A small tear seal: Minimal. Spine taped and glued together, and taped and glued to the interior: Extensive/obnoxious.

Staples replaced with correctly sized, nearly identical other staples: Minimal. Comic book trimmed to make it look like it's fresh off the newsstand: Obnoxious.

You have a choice between two books which appear identical and priced the same.

One has that pin head of marker touch up.

You pick what seems to be the better book -- the book that is closer to the state of manufacture.

Does anyone know how CGC would grade a pintouch of CT covered over with silver sharpie?

Does anyone know how CGC would grade a pintouch of CT covered over with silver sharpie?

That's a good question.

Say he cracks it, then gets a SS on that spot.

Would they even know it existed?

I bet it comes back straight yellow.

I wish someone would ask GCG about this-if covering small dots of CT with silver sharpie would get universal this could really help a lot of people-it's so unfair such a small dot drops value so dramatically

I like CGC's "Conserved Grade" designation -- part blue, part purple. Looks much more appealing than the expanse of purple.

I think CGC should have even more refined designations, but they've already made some headway with the "A, B, C" thing. It would be cool if CGC's label took things a step further and had different color schemes (or colored areas) depending on the level of restoration and if the restoration fell into the "minimal" or the "extensive" or the "downright obnoxious" categories.

A speck of color touch: Minimal. A larger area color touched to hide creases: Extensive. A whole section re-colored in with magic markers: Obnoxious.

A small tear seal: Minimal. Spine taped and glued together, and taped and glued to the interior: Extensive/obnoxious.

Staples replaced with correctly sized, nearly identical other staples: Minimal. Comic book trimmed to make it look like it's fresh off the newsstand: Obnoxious.

The free graders notes aught to cover that. What's more annoying than a restored comic is obsessions over label colors. Restored is purple, big deal.

I wish someone would ask GCG about this-if covering small dots of CT with silver sharpie would get universal this could really help a lot of people-it's so unfair such a small dot drops value so dramatically
CGC doesn't set prices, the market does.

Right but if they graded a silver sharpie over unseen black dot as blue label that would set the price from restored to unrestored