• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If the crash comes...

467 posts in this topic

Here's a bit of free advice for those of you who haven't been around the comics world for a few decades.

If the crash comes....maybe it won't, but maybe it will....something to keep in mind is the concept of "once hot, now not."

A book that, at one point in its life, was HOT HOT HOT!!!!!, but that cooled down later, and floated back down to average, has a much better chance of becoming HOT HOT HOT!!!! in the market again at some later point, should the market recover.

For example:

New Teen Titans #2 was HOT HOT HOT!!!! back in the early 90's. It was a $25, $30, $50 book at one point, because Deathstroke was popular. But, after the mid-90's crash, no one cared, and the book settled back down to $5 or so.

You can see where the book is now.

Same with Iron Man #55. Ultra hot during the early 90's, by the late 90's, no one cared again, and it could be had in excellent condition for as little as $30 on eBay.

Preacher #1 was, at one point, a $100 book in the mid-90;s, if you can believe it. Until recently, it languished for $5-$20.

New Mutants #98 was a $5 book for over a decade, until 2008, DP's breakout year.

And, of course, the most famous example of "once hot, now not" is TMNT #1. For most of the late 90's/early 00's, this book languished. I bought my first print, NM- ish copy on eBay for $66 shipped in the early days of 1999. My high bid was actually $125, and I was shocked that I won it for $61 + $5 S&H.

Now, that same copy, slabbed, is worth several thousand dollars.

The more prudent among us will take notes as to what is "HOT HOT HOT!!!!", and, if the market does correct, will take advantage of that fact.

I know I did, and will. I just wish I was more aggressive in my purchasing, instead of focusing so much on variants.

I'm still waiting for ASM #121 and #122 to die down from the movie before I purchase them.

I noticed that the two Days of Future Past books are almost back down to normal now.

When Black Friday comes.... :whistle:

Good advice, I wish I had not quit comics during the early 2000s and was buying instead. I would have a lot of nice books on the cheap.

Hopefully though a big crash doesn't come, more of a correction after the movies lose their luster with the public.

Everything has it's time, I don't deal with many moderns or even the variants because after 2 months, the book is dead. By the time you get it, have it graded, get it back, no one wants it anymore.

The best comics to hang onto are the ones with no variant, polybagged or special cover. Most comics that sell for a premium doesn't have any of that nonsense. Does Walking Dead 1 have any kind of special cover? Nope. What about BA 12? Nope again.

I will say this though, if a "late 90's crash" was to ever happen again, I'll buy everything in sight, because then it becomes a buyer's market. We're in a seller's market right now and you can thank all these comic book movies for that since thats what pushing all this stuff. So I don't see it dying down anytime soon unless the general public doesn't wanna see another superhero movie again.

Another crash/bubble thread

I still remember the big market crash thread that was made in 2003 and how people said that it was just a bubble when people were paying 16X guide for slabs, those people who did are sitting pretty now.

Another crash/bubble thread

I still remember the big market crash thread that was made in 2003 and how people said that it was just a bubble when people were paying 16X guide for slabs, those people who did are sitting pretty now.

Everything in moderation.....I wasn't collecting much in 2003 but survived the early 90s....there's always a correction in markets whether it's stocks or comics....diversify

Everything has it's time, I don't deal with many moderns or even the variants because after 2 months, the book is dead. By the time you get it, have it graded, get it back, no one wants it anymore.

The best comics to hang onto are the ones with no variant, polybagged or special cover. Most comics that sell for a premium doesn't have any of that nonsense. Does Walking Dead 1 have any kind of special cover? Nope. What about BA 12? Nope again.

I will say this though, if a "late 90's crash" was to ever happen again, I'll buy everything in sight, because then it becomes a buyer's market. We're in a seller's market right now and you can thank all these comic book movies for that since thats what pushing all this stuff. So I don't see it dying down anytime soon unless the general public doesn't wanna see another superhero movie again.

Sooner than later.

Only good advice I caught in that was the last sentence

Really? The only good advice was the last sentence...?

hm

Is the advice that if you're going to buy then the better odds are with what was once hot? I have to think the percentage of books that get hot, whether they were once hot or not, is really low.