• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Biggest Pickup EVER!!!

57 posts in this topic

Release the Hound!!!

Took me an hour to coax him into the crate. He's still a little drowsy from his neutering and small eye surgery.

Awesome. I love beagles. I have a female beagle named Bailey. They love their food.

:golfclap: for rescuing him. My wife and I rescued a lab 5 years ago and she's the love of our life. She's had some pretty serious health scares recently (10 years old) and I can truly echo the sentiment that she's family not a pet

And my pick goes to Pizza Dog from the current Hawkeye book

2s93nk7.png

Congrats, rescue dogs rock!

We don't currently have one of our own, but my nephew drops his off for ovenights pretty regularly. She's sweet enough that i've reconsidered my dislike for small dogs.

Oh he looks sad. Congrats on the great pick up!

I got him at the shelter so he's going to take a little time to get comfortable.

We always get our dogs from the shelter. It is a really rewarding process to nurture them back to health and to help them trust people again. Keep us in formed of his progress.

He's already doing better in day 2. He nibbled on a toy after completely ignoring them yesterday. He also introduced himself to my floor with a huge puddle. I'm pretty sure I missed a sign that he needed to go. It's a learning process for both of us. Also he's moving closer to me than he did yesterday.

It's all about patience for the first few months.

Nearly all rescue dogs went thru something pretty poor in the past. But most come around when they sense you're a good person.

When I get back from my trip, I'll post some pics of my 2 recent rescues.

Patrick

He's already doing better in day 2. He nibbled on a toy after completely ignoring them yesterday. He also introduced himself to my floor with a huge puddle. I'm pretty sure I missed a sign that he needed to go. It's a learning process for both of us. Also he's moving closer to me than he did yesterday.

Great pick up you will have a faithful companion for years......Just take it slow as rescue dogs typically have attachment issues...... (thumbs u

My pick I hadn't seen

wonderdog.jpg

I teach puppy classes, introduction to positive reinforcement training for adult dogs, and reactive dog classes. A question that comes up a lot from people who recently adopted a shelter pet:

How do I get the dog to bond to me quickly? This can sometimes take up to 90 days, but I recommend the following.

Get a clicker. Find out what the dog's favorite treat is. "load the clicker" by simply clicking once, and immediately giving the dog a treat (the dog doesn't need to be performing a desired behavior when loading the clicker; you're just making the sound of the clicker=treat on its way in the dog's mind-pavlovian response).

After the clicker is "loaded", do an eye contact exercise. Say the dog's name in a high pitched, happy tone of voice, and as soon as the dog's eyes meet yours, click and immediately treat. Eye contact is THE foundation for training and bonding with your dog.

Do the exercises twice a day for 5 minutes each. He'll be sitting closer to you on the couch in a week. Have fun!!

I teach puppy classes, introduction to positive reinforcement training for adult dogs, and reactive dog classes. A question that comes up a lot from people who recently adopted a shelter pet:

How do I get the dog to bond to me quickly? This can sometimes take up to 90 days, but I recommend the following.

Get a clicker. Find out what the dog's favorite treat is. "load the clicker" by simply clicking once, and immediately giving the dog a treat (the dog doesn't need to be performing a desired behavior when loading the clicker; you're just making the sound of the clicker=treat on its way in the dog's mind-pavlovian response).

After the clicker is "loaded", do an eye contact exercise. Say the dog's name in a high pitched, happy tone of voice, and as soon as the dog's eyes meet yours, click and immediately treat. Eye contact is THE foundation for training and bonding with your dog.

Do the exercises twice a day for 5 minutes each. He'll be sitting closer to you on the couch in a week. Have fun!!

Thanks! I will get a clicker tonight.