• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Age of Ultron getting Bad Reviews

64 posts in this topic

I realize that reviews are subjective but in order to better enjoy the movie, I think it's better to walking into the theater without the high expectations that first movie helped to set.

No spoilers in this review but it's not pretty:

http://movies.about.com/od/newmoviesandreviews/fl/Review-Avengers-Age-of-Ultron.htm?utm_source=zergnet&utm_medium=tcg&utm_campaign=zergnet-test-509670

The reviewer also says that the first Avengers movie wasn't very good. So maybe his opinion shouldn't really be trusted.

I loved AOU, and that's all that matters to me :grin:

Easter eggs, nods to past movies, and set ups to future movies is what I LIKE about Marvel movies.

I notice a lot of reviews stating this as a bad thing.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I get a reference or foresee a setup....

Maybe I'm just a fanboy,

meh

I avoid reviews. How can someone else influence me on what I will or will not like? There are great movies I don't like and bad movies that I do like. Everyone should take movie reviews with a grain of salt.

meh

I avoid reviews. How can someone else influence me on what I will or will not like? There are great movies I don't like and bad movies that I do like. Everyone should take movie reviews with a grain of salt.

Exactly. I hate reading reviews too. Or listening to people give me their reviews. The last time I went to the cinema with a bunch of co-workers was to see Star Trek: Into Darkness, I loved the movie, but then as we left the cinema I had to listen to various co-workers tell me that the film I just watched, and loved, was not very good, and here are their reasons why... :eyeroll: That was the last time I've gone to the cinema with a group of people. Ugh.

meh

Exactly. I hate reading reviews too. Or listening to people give me their reviews. The last time I went to the cinema with a bunch of co-workers was to see Star Trek: Into Darkness, I loved the movie, but then as we left the cinema I had to listen to various co-workers tell me that the film I just watched, and loved, was not very good, and here are their reasons why... :eyeroll: That was the last time I've gone to the cinema with a group of people. Ugh.

So what your saying is no one should give you their opinion if it clashes with yours?

That's the beauty of opinions! If we all liked the same stuff the world would be a boring place.

meh

So what your saying is no one should give you their opinion if it clashes with yours?

That's the beauty of opinions! If we all liked the same stuff the world would be a boring place.

Oh they can give me their opinion all they want, and they did, trust me. What I'm saying is I just choose not to listen to it, or engage with it, because if I liked something, I'm pretty sure I liked it. I don't really have to be told by someone that the movie I just enjoyed, shouldn't have been enjoyed, and here are a list of reasons why.

Wouldn't we all be happier if the movie was getting rave reviews though? A bad movie review wont deter me from seeing a movie or enjoying a movie, but eventually enough of these bad reviews get embedded into the public consciousness to effect future "superhero" genre movies where it hurts most -- the box office.

Wouldn't we all be happier if the movie was getting rave reviews though? A bad movie review wont deter me from seeing a movie or enjoying a movie, but eventually enough of these bad reviews get embedded into the public consciousness to effect future "superhero" genre movies where it hurts most -- the box office.

Sadly true. Too many people let others do their thinking for them

Sucks that we don't have a movie subforum for something like this. Oh, wait...

Or even an Age of Ultron thread that we use to talk about anything involving Age of Ultron.

Are we gotta by to be slammed by 20 different threads about AoU and people's opinions and reviews?

Just post them in the AoU thread!

Age of Ultron is sitting at 73% positive on Rotten Tomatoes right now. It has basically the same average as Interstellar(72%), American Sniper(73%), Kingsman(74%), and Pacific Rim(72%).

I'm sure there are many varying opinions about those films on these boards, which only reinforces my personal viewpoint that unless we are talking Paul Blart 2 levels of negativity, it's best to see the movie for yourself or consult someone whose opinion you really trust. One random review proves nothing.

The title of this thread would be much more accurate if it read "Age of Ultron is getting many more positive reviews than negative ones".

Almost every movie gets some bad reviews. So what.

Age of Ultron currently has a 67 on Metacritic, which aggregates scores from reviewers and is a much more reliable barometer of reviews than Rotten Tomatoes, which simply gives everything a yes or no. Anything above 60 on Metacritic is in the positive, so while there are obviously some mediocre and bad reviews weighing the average down, overall the reviews are actually positive.

To be more precise, of the 39 professional published reviews referenced by Metacritic, 29 of them gave Age of Ultron a 60 or better on a scale of 1 to 100. 9 reviewers gave it a mediocre score - meaning 40-60 - while only one reviewer actually gave it a bad review with a score below 40.

So I guess this thread should really be called "One Guy gave Age of Ultron a Bad Review."

Age of Ultron is sitting at 73% positive on Rotten Tomatoes right now. It has basically the same average as Interstellar(72%), American Sniper(73%), Kingsman(74%), and Pacific Rim(72%).

And it's at 67% on Metacritic. Those are pretty strong numbers. I don't think many here will be disappointed with the movie.