• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales 110....How Many WHITE PAGES exist?

59 posts in this topic

Everyone is entitled to whatever kind of books they want to buy whether it has this defect or that defect or this PQ or that PQ. Some people care about PQ, some people don't. But, when it comes down to a rare book that is hardly ever up for sale (even more so a key and/or a classic cover), throw away the PQ because it will sell for a high price.

+1

-J.

Everyone is entitled to whatever kind of books they want to buy whether it has this defect or that defect or this PQ or that PQ. Some people care about PQ, some people don't. But, when it comes down to a rare book that is hardly ever up for sale (even more so a key and/or a classic cover), throw away the PQ because it will sell for a high price.

+1

-J.

But no what the book sells for, it probably would have sold even higher if it did have White Pages.

IMO, certain pedigree collections that are noted for fresh, White pages command a premium, ala Curator, Mile High, etc. Now look at pedigree books with CR/OW pages from Mohawk Valley, Savannah, etc. No premium at all.

Jaydog, you never answered my 'hot' chick analogy. Since you are all about data, I don't have data to prove guys like 'hot' chicks but I think they do. Don't you ? :baiting:

+1

-J.

But no what the book sells for, it probably would have sold even higher if it did have White Pages.

IMO, certain pedigree collections that are noted for fresh, White pages command a premium, ala Curator, Mile High, etc. Now look at pedigree books with CR/OW pages from Mohawk Valley, Savannah, etc. No premium at all.

Jaydog, you never answered my 'hot' chick analogy. Since you are all about data, I don't have data to prove guys like 'hot' chicks but I think they do. Don't you ? :baiting:

Yes, I'm sure those cr-offw books from those pedigree collections could have sold for more if it had even offwhite-white pages or better. I think the majority of those cr-offw books from those collections have edge tanning or dust shadow that detracts from eye appeal hence the "cheaper" price. Another possibility is that some pedigree books depending on what pedigree it is sell for multiples of guide because of their renowned providence while others sell for about market value. Books like Allentown, SF, Church, Larson, just to name a few sell for multiples. Books like Savannah, Crippen, Cosmic Aeroplane, just to name a few sell for around guide or a % higher than guide. And yes fresh white or offwhite-white pages matter because you barely or perhaps don't even see any tanning whatsoever on the covers.

+1

-J.

lol Yes "guys like hot chicks". But not every guy is going to get a hot chick. And just because he can't, doesn't mean he is going to be willing to completely go without until that one in a million hot chick happens to come around and like him back. So when that slightly less than hot chick comes around who's to say he isn't going to lavish and appreciate her just as much? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway, so what some guys consider "hot" others might consider "meh".

Wait, what the hell were we talking about again ? lol

-J.

I can see Jaydog's stance at PQ with regards to CGC because it is not as consistent as everyone thinks it is. I personally have subbed two books twice in which both times CGC noted a different PQ. One of them went from white pages to offwhite-white while the other went from cream-offwhite to offwhite all in a matter of months. I know that PQ does not "degrade" that quickly as it takes a long time for pages to deteriorate even under extreme conditions. PQ can also be subjective just like grading a book, but as long as the PQ is right around the area such as the ones I mentioned above and not going extreme from white to cream-offwhite or worst, then it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

But like most everyone has mentioned, I also think white pages command a premium in older books.

I think they just got better lighting at CGC that is the plus or minus difference on pages. On the other hand not all the paper comics were printed on were bone white to start with. Lets say at the printers for some reason a roll of paper aged before it was even put into production, light ,heat, exposure ect. You never know and we do know it was not High Quality newsprint for starters.

So if you take this into mind how can CGC subjectively say paper condition effects the grade. Price wise people pay more for better pages

As a footnote, that 2.5, AF 15 with "white pages" on the label sold for $8900.....about $1,000 below the current GPA high, which is held by a book with "Cr/OW" on the label that sold just a few weeks ago. Take form that what you will. Or, take nothing, as I also believe it means nothing either way. (thumbs u

-J.

As a footnote, that 2.5, AF 15 with "white pages" on the label sold for $8900.....about $1,000 below the current GPA high, which is held by a book with "Cr/OW" on the label that sold just a few weeks ago. Take form that what you will. Or, take nothing, as I also believe it means nothing either way. (thumbs u

-J.

The marvel chipping on the white paged copy was the main defect that affected the price. AF 15's without any chipping sell for more than with MC. Just my 2c.

As far as the cream-offwhite paged copy, visually it looks better and was sold as a buy it now (which usually sells for a lot more because seller has control over the price and not the bidders).

-J.

The marvel chipping on the white paged copy was the main defect that affected the price. AF 15's without any chipping sell for more than with MC. Just my 2c.

As far as the cream-offwhite paged copy, visually it looks better and was sold as a buy it now (which usually sells for a lot more because seller has control over the price and not the bidders).

I agree. That's why I say that the "pq" on the label cannot be said to command a "premium" because there are far too many other factors involved with a book that will affect the purchase price one way or another.

-J.

-J.

I agree. That's why I say that the "pq" on the label cannot be said to command a "premium" because there are far too many other factors involved with a book that will affect the purchase price one way or another.

-J.

If given say the same book with the same kind of defects or close to it, but only difference is that one has white pages and the other say cream-offwhite pages, I still think the white paged copy would sell for more because it had better preservation under optimal conditions.

-J.

-J.

If given say the same book with the same kind of defects or close to it, but only difference is that one has white pages and the other say cream-offwhite pages, I still think the white paged copy would sell for more because it had better preservation under optimal conditions.

On any given day I would say that anything is possible. (thumbs u

When people argue that better PQ demands a premium it is implicit that it is under ceteris paribus.

Are men stronger than women? "No, because the woman might be a UFC fighter and the man an accountant who can hardly carry his own weight - therefore there are other factors at play."

Well, yes, of course... but such comparisons are always made "all else being equal".

This takes me right back to my original point : No two things are ever equal, and there are far too many factors that influence a person's buying decision, that the so-called "PQ" on the label may have nothing to do with it (just like it had nothing to do with the price paid for that 2.5 AF 15). The difference between two books in grade one with "white pages" on the label and another with "cr/ow" or whatever else is not the same as the difference between a female wrestler and a wimpy male accountant. lol That really is just a terrible, inapplicable comparison. Like I said earlier, speculative rationalizations are made when a book with "white pages" on the label seems to under perform, and if/when a book with "white pages" on the label appears to sell for a little more, that is offered as indisputable (anecdotal) evidence that there was a "premium" paid (not that anyone would know whether or not the "PQ" on the label had anything to do with that unless they were the actual buyer).

Bottom line is, you can't prove a "premium" because it is non existent. If "you" pay a premium that's what "you" do. But don't expect to receive one if you ever decide to sell, and don't make sweeping generalizations that what "you" do is a market rule, when that is obviously not the case.

PS: A 5.0, AF 15 with "Cr/ow pages" on the label just set GPA high ($20k), significantly higher than a couple other copies that sold in grade within the last couple months. (one with "ow/w" the other with "ow" on the label). What does that mean ?

As with the 2.5 AF 15 with "white pages" on the label that sold for "less" than the one with "cr/ow" on the label, it means nothing either way. (thumbs u

-J.

Maybe someone can start a poll on PQ. Something like you have 2 books that are visually identical but one has white pages and the other cream-offwhite, would you pay 10% more for the white paged copy or pay the same amount for cream-offwhite pages if a white paged copy is available.

Maybe someone can start a poll on PQ. Something like you have 2 books that are visually identical but one has white pages and the other cream-offwhite, would you pay 10% more for the white paged copy or pay the same amount for cream-offwhite pages if a white paged copy is available.

Polls are fun as theoretical tools, but we already see what actually happens (and doesn't happen) in the marketplace, so it would be academic.

-J.

"No two things are ever equal"....

True... but does that really mean that we cannot try to make sense of the most common outcomes ceteris paribus?

If we accept that "No two things are ever equal"... then men are not stronger than women, not taller than women... the advice for how much alcohol a man and a woman can drink is wrong because - since some woman weigh more than men... there is no ceteris paribus... right? No two things are ever equal..

The guidelines for how much medicine women and men respectively should take are rubbish because "I once saw a big woman"....too many factors... obesity, hormones, a million things in the environment, her job, his job, accidents, illness and so on. We simply do not know if men weigh more than women...

Yes, we do - ceteris paribus..

No, because "no two things are ever equal".

Mate, the ceteris paribus principle is fundamental to many things we know about the world and ourselves.

But of course. No one can force you to accept the relevance of this principle, just like no one could force you to accept that 2 plus 2 is 4 if you really didn't want to.

Equal in comic books doesn't mean identical.

One can have a handful of nice 8.5s with spine stresses in different places. If you had to choose one for your collection, you might find it difficult to declare one better than the other.

Now make one of these books a demonstratively white pager and that would be the determining factor.