• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales 110....How Many WHITE PAGES exist?

59 posts in this topic

Hello Society and fellow collectors,

Sorry to bother you, but I was wanting to know how Rare or Very Rare my strange tales 110 book is. My book is a SS series and signed by Stan Lee and was graded

as a 6.5....One thing interesting is this GEM was given a grade of "WHITE PAGES"....

So, since i've been looking all over (100 plus books) for any Strange Tales 110 in any grade and have found only one other (it was a 7.5 blue label) that had white pages....

How many of all the 110's have white pages? How rare is it to have White pages on my book (6.5 SS)? I'm not selling it but i'm thinking about getting insurance for it.

Thank you for any response....

Sorry to bother you, but I was wanting to know how Rare or Very Rare my strange tales 110 book is. My book is a SS series and signed by Stan Lee and was graded

as a 6.5....One thing interesting is this GEM was given a grade of "WHITE PAGES"....

How many of all the 110's have white pages? How rare is it to have White pages on my book (6.5 SS)? I'm not selling it but i'm thinking about getting insurance for it.

I place a premium on white pages -- when they are truly white.

I crack out my slabs and there is some inconsistency. White for me is when the edges of the pages match the white of the word balloons. When this is the case -- it's a beautiful book and closer in time to its origins. I also hope that white pages mean that the inner covers of the book are without yellowing.

All this gets harder to find as these books get older and older.

As it appears you slabbed your book, you would know first-hand how white the pages are. White pages are a good thing -- though keep in mind how many dozens of this book may exist in raw white-paged condition.

ST #110 is a book I'd love to own some day. Congratulations on having a nice one in your collection. (thumbs u

How about some pictures?

I place a premium on white pages -- when they are truly white.

I crack out my slabs and there is some inconsistency. White for me is when the edges of the pages match the white of the word balloons. When this is the case -- it's a beautiful book and closer in time to its origins. I also hope that white pages mean that the inner covers of the book are without yellowing.

All this gets harder to find as these books get older and older.

As it appears you slabbed your book, you would know first-hand how white the pages are. White pages are a good thing -- though keep in mind how many dozens of this book may exist in raw white-paged condition.

ST #110 is a book I'd love to own some day. Congratulations on having a nice one in your collection. (thumbs u

How about some pictures?

This is why I "don't" place any premium, and likely why none is consistently realized in the marketplace. "White Pages" on the label of a slab is little more than eye candy IMO.

-J.

So, since i've been looking all over (100 plus books) for any Strange Tales 110 in any grade and have found only one other (it was a 7.5 blue label) that had white pages....

Thank you for any response....

Congrats on the White Pager. You are correct, it is rare. I once had an 8.0 with White pages. Without the assistance of CGC directly, I don't know how you can ascertain exactly how many are on the census.

My book is a SS series and signed by Stan Lee and was graded

I crack out my slabs and there is some inconsistency.

This is why I "don't" place any premium, and likely why none is consistently realized in the marketplace. "White Pages" on the label of a slab is little more than eye candy IMO.

-J.

I can understand the vagaries of weighing off a myriad of defect types in grading a book -- but it should be possible under consistent conditions to measure the whiteness of newsprint -- and wouldn't it be great to know a book graded with white pages was really bright and white. :acclaim:

Just my experience, but PQ designation means at least a little in my eyes. I don't think the designation is very consistent in terms of page color, but I think it can be indicative of page quality. I won't necessarily pay more for WP, but I'll pass on COW to wait for an OWW or WP. At least in my experience cracking slabs, the pages and interior covers have seemed "healthier" if not necessarily "white".

Just my .02.

I think WP certainly command a premium. How large depends on how rare it is for the book. The 2 silver-age books that I know it is notoriously difficult to find in WP are ST110 and BB28. For BB28 OW-W is even pretty hard. For some reason BB28 is plagued with CR PQ.

I own books that run the gamut from "tan-cr" to "white" pages on the labels. I have never paid more or less for any book based on the so-called "PQ on the label. I am buying books, not labels. And as I've said before, the "PQ" of a book can degrade within the slab, even under ideal storage conditions, so the "PQ" you are seeing on the label (which is already assessed very inconsistently by CGC) may not necessarily even be indicative of the current state of the book inside the slab.

Food for thought. (thumbs u

-J.

I think PQ certainly has an effect on price because some value it and some don't. The ones who do will according to normal principles of demand and supply drive the price higher that it would otherwise have been.

As we have seen this does not mean that everyone appreciates it nor will pay a premium for it. It on the other hand means that some people will, hence affording these rare books the chance to sell (to these people) at a premium.

I don't think it is possible to determine whether or not the "PQ" on the label is the reason why a particular book sold for this or that on any given day. There are simply too many other variables, both unique to the book and in general based on whatever market conditions exist at the time, to ever know for sure. And there are a whole lot of people who take the "PQ" on the label with a grain of salt, so whatever "premium" you think you paid one day may not be duplicated should you ever decide to sell the book.

-J.

For BB28 OW-W is even pretty hard. For some reason BB28 is plagued with CR PQ.

Late 50s/very early 60s DC books were printed on really cheap pulp, which is why so many early Silver Age DC keys are tough in grade and very tough in any grade to get OW/W or better.

Call me a white supremacist, but I gladly pay up to a 10% premium for WHITE Pages :cloud9: (either actually or what the label says) for pre-1970 books.

I don't think it is possible to determine whether or not the "PQ" on the label is the reason why a particular book sold for this or that on any given day. There are simply too many other variables, both unique to the book and in general based on whatever market conditions exist at the time, to ever know for sure. And there are a whole lot of people who take the "PQ" on the label with a grain of salt, so whatever "premium" you think you paid one day may not be duplicated should you ever decide to sell the book.

-J.

White PQ sells for a premium and LT gets hammered.

-J.

+1. And one doesn't need data to back that up.

-J.

Perhaps anecdotally, but not with any consistency that can be observed in the open market to render it quantifiable, let alone provable. (thumbs u

And sure, who needs any actual data when it so easily and inconveniently disproves whatever myth someone is attempting to promulgate for whatever reason. lol

-J.

-J.

Perhaps anecdotally, but not with any consistency that can be observed in the open market to render it quantifiable, let alone provable. (thumbs u

And sure, who needs any actual data when it so easily and inconveniently disproves whatever myth someone is attempting to promulgate for whatever reason. lol

-J.

Jaydog, don't you ever give up ?!? Why are you on a mission to question the integrity and value of a CGC graded White Pager. Nobody believes you. White pages command a premium no matter how hard you scream. Sorry man.

Jaydog, watch tonight's Pawn Stars where Greg Reece brings in a couple books to sell, including an Avengers 1. Paul Litch grades the books and deems the Avengers 1 a 6.5 . As a flaw he explicitly mentions the cream pages, proving poor page quality affects the grade, as well it should.

Page quality is the best indicator of preservation and it is rewarded in the marketplace..