• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK || Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC 6.0 OW/W

80 posts in this topic

Maybe a dry cleaning and resub to clean the book up a little?

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. The area of the book that most needs a cleaning is the spine. I think an attempt at cleaning it now would make matters worse. Between all those spine tics and the fact that the dirt has been heat sealed could result in color loss, maybe outright damage. If CGC is as tight as everyone is saying, a resub could easily result in a 5.5 .That bottom right crease is long. At best it was a tweener that got the nod to 6.0 . I would not risk it. The OP admitted he paid more than GPA and presently GPA is down. I would not throw more money into it. Sorry.

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. The area of the book that most needs a cleaning is the spine. I think an attempt at cleaning it now would make matters worse. Between all those spine tics and the fact that the dirt has been heat sealed could result in color loss, maybe outright damage. If CGC is as tight as everyone is saying, a resub could easily result in a 5.5 .That bottom right crease is long. At best it was a tweener that got the nod to 6.0 . I would not risk it. The OP admitted he paid more than GPA and presently GPA is down. I would not throw more money into it. Sorry.

First, to the OP:

I think the book is fairly graded, I think it presents well, and I think the Marvel chipping is minimal enough to have little impact on the decision of most buyer's in the market for a mid-grade copy.

IMO, there are a few reasons combined as to why your book didn't get much action.

ASM #1 is not a "hot " book right now. I know that sounds odd to say about such a key, but sales and growth of this book (title) have been quiet.

Also, you're initial asking price was high compared to what the market is commanding for this book. There was one high sale that pulled the average up, but any potential buyers are going to see that as an outlier and not a trend.

You also stated in your initial post "Lowballs will be ignored". That eliminated a lot of interest because when your asking price is that strong a reasonable offer is now a potential lowball, and I believe most buyers don't really want to lowball.

You also mentioned later that you payed well over GPA for the book. You may have purchased it in a non-GPA reporting venue, but there are only two sales of this book in just over the last two years that would be considered well over GPA. If I'm trying to determine a value for this book, them I have to throw out both outliers and see the value of this book at closer to $7000.

I think it's a fair grade. It could be cleaned some, and I DON"T think it has been pressed, but it doesn't look like it has upgrade potential. So that eliminates a large part of the buying pool. Especially here on these boards. The next group of buyers would be dealers. Now days dealers are literally having to pay 90% just to have keys like this in stock, but as a dealer I'm thinking eventually I'll gross $7000 for it. The most I really want to pay is $6000...and it's not not exactly "hot"

The next potential buyer is someone who wants a copy. It's tough odds to find the right buyer looking for a mid-grade, with that much cash on hand, that isn't savvy enough to see what else is out there. Your buyer may have been the person that bought the copy $7650 that sold after your's was listed here.

Beyond that, I really would like Bob to explain how he knows this book has been pressed.

First, to the OP:

I think the book is fairly graded, I think it presents well, and I think the Marvel chipping is minimal enough to have little impact on the decision of most buyer's in the market for a mid-grade copy.

IMO, there are a few reasons combined as to why your book didn't get much action.

ASM #1 is not a "hot " book right now. I know that sounds odd to say about such a key, but sales and growth of this book (title) have been quiet.

Also, you're initial asking price was high compared to what the market is commanding for this book. There was one high sale that pulled the average up, but any potential buyers are going to see that as an outlier and not a trend.

You also stated in your initial post "Lowballs will be ignored". That eliminated a lot of interest because when your asking price is that strong a reasonable offer is now a potential lowball, and I believe most buyers don't really want to lowball.

You also mentioned later that you payed well over GPA for the book. You may have purchased it in a non-GPA reporting venue, but there are only two sales of this book in just over the last two years that would be considered well over GPA. If I'm trying to determine a value for this book, them I have to throw out both outliers and see the value of this book at closer to $7000.

I think it's a fair grade. It could be cleaned some, and I DON"T think it has been pressed, but it doesn't look like it has upgrade potential. So that eliminates a large part of the buying pool. Especially here on these boards. The next group of buyers would be dealers. Now days dealers are literally having to pay 90% just to have keys like this in stock, but as a dealer I'm thinking eventually I'll gross $7000 for it. The most I really want to pay is $6000...and it's not not exactly "hot"

The next potential buyer is someone who wants a copy. It's tough odds to find the right buyer looking for a mid-grade, with that much cash on hand, that isn't savvy enough to see what else is out there. Your buyer may have been the person that bought the copy $7650 that sold after your's was listed here.

Beyond that, I really would like Bob to explain how he knows this book has been pressed.

This.

And unless someone is going to buy the book, all of this should be taken to the discussion forum. One book with 7 pages of commentary is not what this forum is supposed to be for.

First, to the OP:

This.

And unless someone is going to buy the book, all of this should be taken to the discussion forum. One book with 7 pages of commentary is not what this forum is supposed to be for.

Right, this forum is for sales announcements disguised as sales threads.

yeah, I'm puzzled how he came up with that too.

I can only tell we looking it from the sides of the book to tell if is has been squished.

I assume everything has been pressed, hasn't it ? CGC will be easier on creases if they are flat. If that bottom right is not flat with all that creasing I don't think it would have received a 6.0 . To me, the spine has that 'look' . You are correct I need a 3rd dimension to be sure but the spine looks very flat to me. I do have an ASM 1 in 6.0 to compare it. I have full confidence in Mike's opinion so if he thinks it was not pressed I will concur.

First, to the OP:

This.

hmlol

First, to the OP:

This.

:roflmao:

I'd love to see what a "good" ASM #1 6.0 looks like if this isn't it.
When determining a book is "strong" for its grade when it comes to my personal collection I ask myself one thing. "If I was to submit this book 10 times, will the grade hold?" If there's any doubt because it's a tweener then I hold out until I find a copy that fits my personal liking.

Your 6.0 is nice but there's just too much going on with the bottom right corner and chips out of the edge. So for me that book doesn't pass the test since I can see that book in a 5.5 holder. That's just my personal opinion of course, others may feel differently.

I'd love to see what a "good" ASM #1 6.0 looks like if this isn't it.

For me that book has a bunch of little stuff going on that all adds up to a no.

First off is the chipping, even though it's minimal, it's still a deal breaker for me.

I don't even like to see traces of pre chips, let alone actual pieces out.

Second is the centering, it's miswrapped slightly with the "I" in IND rolled to the back side, as well as part of the 12 cent circle.

Third, the bottom right corner with the creases.

I might be able to let one of those things slide in a 6.0 book I'm thinking about buying, but not all three

It's to much to have going on in a 6.0 for me.

6.0 is one of those grades where there is a wide variance in how they present, so I really like to shop around when looking at books in that grade.

IMHO I think the book is a dead on "realistic" 6.0

For every negative it has a positive"

Less MC than most

Bold colors.

No obvious spine spliting.

Great paper quality!

No other obvious defects other than the one corner, which is very light color break.

Could it have graded 5.5...sure...but I'll bet 30% or more who buy such books break out and try to sell raw for higher grade. If a 6.0 looked like a 6.5 - 7.0 most would break our or press and take their chances. This one better left alone..

For what this book is, it is nice. Price may be low end of 6.0 but still I would not be sad owning such a book. I have a 7.0 or I'd bargain for it.

Good luck with your book!

First off is the chipping, even though it's minimal, it's still a deal breaker for me.

Second is the centering, it's miswrapped slightly with the "I" in IND rolled to the back side, as well as part of the 12 cent circle.

I might be able to let one of those things slide in a 6.0 book I'm thinking about buying, but not all three

6.0 is one of those grades where there is a wide variance in how they present, so I really like to shop around when looking at books in that grade.

Does centering affect the grade?

Does centering affect the grade?

I don't know.

I'm not an expert on grading by any means, I just know what I like.

That being said, I feel it's only fair to point out what I like about the book, since I already talked about things I didn't like.

First, the spine, I know others have said they didn't like it, but to me it looks fine for the grade.

Second, the staples look nice and fairly stress free.

Third, it just looks very nice and tight overall, and everything appears to be good and secure.

Back cover also looks good.

Colors are good, Spiderman looks especially vivid.

It's a nice book, you'll get your price for it, you just might need to try a couple different venues for selling.

yeah, I'm puzzled how he came up with that too.

I can only tell we looking it from the sides of the book to tell if is has been squished.

I assume everything has been pressed, hasn't it ? CGC will be easier on creases if they are flat. If that bottom right is not flat with all that creasing I don't think it would have received a 6.0 . To me, the spine has that 'look' . You are correct I need a 3rd dimension to be sure but the spine looks very flat to me. I do have an ASM 1 in 6.0 to compare it. I have full confidence in Mike's opinion so if he thinks it was not pressed I will concur.

You can't definitively tell if a book has been pressed even if the spine is flat.

Over time spines flatten, especially if they are stored in humid atmospheres and under pressure (and most books are stored with some form of pressure on them, whether in a stack or in a box). The humidity in the air relaxes paper fibres and the book flattens during storage.

That is NOT the same as a stack of encyclopedias so I'm not opening that can of worms.

But bottom line is you can't tell if a book has been pressed from just a scan. Ever. Unless you have some before and after scans.

First, to the OP:

While this lists many reasons on why a book may not sell, the real reason is that this Forum is just a small pie slice of the market.

Many buyers here are not only looking for books they are often looking for deals under Fair Market Value.

There are PLENTY of books that have gone unsold here only to sell for the same or more elsewhere.

There's a ton of people out there who want a Spidey #1. They just don't happen to be here at this time.

My friend had a GSX#1 graded 9.8 with 1/2" of the back cover rolled to the front. Mind you, he got it relatively cheap off of Comiclink and though he could get full value for it. I also saw an ASM#129 with a similar 1/2" back cover rolled to the front, right side of the cover partly chopped due to the misalignment... this one was not even straight but still received a 9.8.

The actual condition of these books maybe 9.8s but tough to resell with such gross miswraps.