• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How jaded are the CGC graders...

37 posts in this topic

I mean, think about it...

To have an endless supply of key and old comics being sent to you daily. To see books that most of us never get to see in the flesh (er...paper?), and to see, in a lot of cases, pristine examples of them.

I can see after a while on the job, it'd be "another Incredible Hulk #181 in 9.8...yawn..."

I know that happened with me when I used to manage a video cassette distribution warehouse. It took me years to enjoy movies again after the company went belly up.

I guess I'd just have to file CGC grader under "job I wouldn't want", for fear of losing my thrill of the hunt for collecting comics.

Grading comics and owning comics are different things.

Owning a IH 181 9.8....much different than grading one.

At least that's how I look at it.

Grading comics and owning comics are different things.

Owning a IH 181 9.8....much different than grading one.

At least that's how I look at it.

..... they don't spend all day grading keys. I'd imagine a large amount of what they grade are very high grade books from the last 20 years, including many moderns. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I can see after a while on the job, it'd be "another Incredible Hulk #181 in 9.8...yawn..."

I would think the following would be more likely. "another (insert hot modern comic) # 1 in 9.8...YAWN..."

You'd probably have to do some stretching exercises a few times a day.....your neck and lower back would probably get fairly stiff. The other guy's job always looks cool from a distance. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I want to work for cgc just so I can beat borock's or haspels or Litch's single day grading record...

I believe you're confusing speed and accuracy

speed with accuracy...that's what I'm talking about

I think I would enjoy it.

Comics bring me happiness, and to see a 9.9, or a 10.0, every once in a while would be pretty cool.

As long as they let you switch up jobs every once in a while.

Yeah, maybe after a while you could just request to grade funny animal books or Dell Four Colors. Nothing against those genres per se, they're just not in my collecting zone.

Comics bring me happiness, and to see a 9.9, or a 10.0, every once in a while would be pretty cool.

You can see a 9.9 any day of the week: just grab a 9.8, go and have a great lunch, look at the 9.8 again and - :o it's become a 9.9!

I would think the following would be more likely. "another (insert hot modern comic) # 1 in 9.8...YAWN..."

I imagine there is a lot of thinking along the lines of "Why are you spending $20 to slab this $4 book that came out last week? Wow, a 9.8. Just like the other dozen still for sale at the nearest LCS."

I imagine there is a lot of thinking along the lines of "Why are you spending $20 to slab this $4 book that came out last week? Wow, a 9.8. Just like the other dozen still for sale at the nearest LCS."

lol that was my thought too.

lol that was my thought too.

The graders might be thinking that but they are glad people are subbing those books.

lol a more accurate post has never been made on these boards. In related news I finally got my first 9.9 a couple of weeks ago after thousands upon thousands of subs.

You can see a 9.9 any day of the week: just grab a 9.8, go and have a great lunch, look at the 9.8 again and - :o it's become a 9.9!

I look at a lot of books each and every day. It does start to get old after a while.

Lather...rinse...repeat.

Lather...rinse...repeat.

Lather...rinse...repeat.

Lather...rinse...repeat.

Lather...rinse...repeat.

Lather...rinse...repeat.

Lather...rinse...repeat.

Lather...rinse...repeat.

Lather...rinse...repeat.

Lather...rinse...repeat.

Lather...rinse...repeat.

Lather...rinse...repeat.