• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Responding to low-ball offers on EBAY

88 posts in this topic

Just tried to buy something that was listed as $69.99 OBO. Offered $35.00, sell counter-offered with $68.00... So I tried again at $45.00 and they countered with $65.00... I quit after that.

:shrug:

I expected a counter-offer around $50ish and hopefully we could come to a deal. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I don't understand someone who has a "best offer" listed on their deal if their default counter is $1.99 off their original listing of $69.99. Some people just want to see the world burn.

Some sellers see an offer of 50% the listed price as an insult

Then they should realize plenty of other sellers accept a 50% off offer. It's no insult it's a legitimate offer that sometimes gets accepted.

Just tried to buy something that was listed as $69.99 OBO. Offered $35.00, sell counter-offered with $68.00... So I tried again at $45.00 and they countered with $65.00... I quit after that.

I expected a counter-offer around $50ish and hopefully we could come to a deal. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I don't understand someone who has a "best offer" listed on their deal if their default counter is $1.99 off their original listing of $69.99. Some people just want to see the world burn.

You are definitely right. I even know a few sellers that would take it to the level of blocking the potential buyers whom they felt were lowballing. I personally wouldn't block an individual who offered 50%, they may not know the amount the book sells for on average or are only comfortable with spending that amount so give it a shot.

I've listed a few books that weren't very common or the first up and would have been open to offers of 50% the asking price just because some books are difficult to price.

It all depends. What would a "fair" price be, your 50% discount or his original price? How long had the listing been up? I put "best offer" on almost everything I list, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to drop by much on the first couple days, just that I may be willing to take a lower price if it hasn't sold in a while.

His first counter suggested he wasn't interested in a big discount at this point in time, and your "best" was 35% off what he listed the book at. Depending on what the price was, the timing, what FMV might be, he at least dropped close to 10%, that might not be such a bad thing.

Like I said, it all depends.

Then they should realize plenty of other sellers accept a 50% off offer. It's no insult it's a legitimate offer that sometimes gets accepted.

Sellers that accept 50% of their listed price, have a BS listed price, or they're desperate.

Sellers that accept 50% of their listed price, have a BS listed price, or they're desperate.

So should I message them first asking hey are you desperate?

What's the proper protocol?

From CGC Comic Fans Facebook:

Arrived home from work, new package waiting for me: Flaming Carrot #1 CGC 9.2 White Pages, has been on my search list for aeons, the seller on eBay was really nice to me and gave it to me for half his list price.., tip: it never hurts to email them and ask and then negotiate nicely... my negotiation (lol) was to stay firm at my half price offer and just chat nicely with him - it worked! great seller, will keep an eye on him in the future

I prefer a regular message vs best offer feature. After doing this for 10+ years I've seen all different outcomes of best offer. Sometimes people offer a few bucks just to see the seller make the first move. And that comes off as insulting to some but its really just negotiating 101.

For me its all about time. If the book has been up for a few months then I'm more inclined to discount. Most buyers have no idea how long something has been up so they can catch something early when a seller has no intention of discounting.

I think most sellers don't realize how easy it has become to add/remove best offer feature (and other features). If you use store categories, you can update multiple listings with about 5-6 clicks. So I do think if you're a seller where a $10 offer is going to offend you, then either set up the automation or take off the feature until book has been up for a few months. 2c

I like the new feature where I can send an offer to the prospective buyer. But somebody has to ask a question first.

Now if I could only figure out what to do with the books that have been sitting for over a year!!!!!!!!!!!! I would take 50% off in a heartbeat :devil:

I prefer a regular message vs best offer feature. After doing this for 10+ years I've seen all different outcomes of best offer. Sometimes people offer a few bucks just to see the seller make the first move. And that comes off as insulting to some but its really just negotiating 101.

For me its all about time. If the book has been up for a few months then I'm more inclined to discount. Most buyers have no idea how long something has been up so they can catch something early when a seller has no intention of discounting.

I think most sellers don't realize how easy it has become to add/remove best offer feature (and other features). If you use store categories, you can update multiple listings with about 5-6 clicks. So I do think if you're a seller where a $10 offer is going to offend you, then either set up the automation or take off the feature until book has been up for a few months. 2c

I like the new feature where I can send an offer to the prospective buyer. But somebody has to ask a question first.

Now if I could only figure out what to do with the books that have been sitting for over a year!!!!!!!!!!!! I would take 50% off in a heartbeat :devil:

Offer a code word sale!!!!!

Many, many, many prices on eBay are BS (whether they recognize it or not is a different story). I personally know multiple people that list overly high prices as a tactic. :shrug:

Since when is the perception that eBay prices on comics are fair outside of an auction? If anything it is quite the opposite.

In the case this item, a fair price is around $45 (including shipping). However they had shopping listed at $10 flat cost (ridiculous given the weight of the item). So my wanting to land around $50 + $10 shipping was overpaying by about $15 or 30%.

They didn't have to sell and I didn't have to buy. Which is what happened.

I call the auto-reject feature the "don't bother me" button.

I'd rather have that minute back instead of reading an offer of $3.00 on a magnet that I have listed for $7.00 obo and responding to something that we're nowhere near each other on.

I respond to all offers that aren't automatically declined with my best price. I even have a tried and tested formula for the magnets where you can save more on multiples.

Comics don't have a similar formula but do have a don't bother me button on each listing.

I'd rather have that minute back instead of reading an offer of $3.00 on a magnet that I have listed for $7.00 obo and responding to something that we're nowhere near each other on.

I respond to all offers that aren't automatically declined with my best price. I even have a tried and tested formula for the magnets where you can save more on multiples.

Comics don't have a similar formula but do have a don't bother me button on each listing.

Where do you have your low set at and why?

For comics, it's above (or is the correct term, below?) the 50% mark. I try to set them at a price that is the going rate or a little above to give some wiggle room if I get a legit offer. I'm small enough that I look at fb left for and by potential buyer so that I don't get a nutjob or at least reduce the risk of whackos. I certainly don't counter legit offers with something like $1.32 off. I'll also reduce more for multiple offers.

For the magnets, it's a formula that I've worked out where I'm still making money on them after costs. Buy more and it's cheaper. I think it's set at $4.01 and we don't talk before that number. Most of the other magnet people don't do obo for some reason so I think that obo helps. Also, I have the biggest selection of cover magnets on EBay and I tell people that in the counter.

For comics, it's above (or is the correct term, below?) the 50% mark. I try to set them at a price that is the going rate or a little above to give some wiggle room if I get a legit offer. I'm small enough that I look at fb left for and by potential buyer so that I don't get a nutjob or at least reduce the risk of whackos. I certainly don't counter legit offers with something like $1.32 off. I'll also reduce more for multiple offers.

For the magnets, it's a formula that I've worked out where I'm still making money on them after costs. Buy more and it's cheaper. I think it's set at $4.01 and we don't talk before that number. Most of the other magnet people don't do obo for some reason so I think that obo helps. Also, I have the biggest selection of cover magnets on EBay and I tell people that in the counter.

Seems reasonable! (thumbs u

I find that there are a ton of unreasonable and ill-informed people on eBay as sellers (not even going to comment on the buyers).

My tried and true method worked once again today. I had a gaming keyboard listed on eBay for $40 with free shipping, some guy comes along and offers me $25 yesterday midday. I was going to respond with a counteroffer today, but Windows phone doesn't have that feature on the app and I couldn't get it to work online. So I revise the listing today to $35 and free shipping. Within a few hours, same guy that offered $25 bought it.

I always like it when I get a message along with the offer that I am 'lucky' that an offer is even being made.

The last time someone messaged me something like that, (three weeks ago) the book sold within two days at full ask.

I always like it when I get a message along with the offer that I am 'lucky' that an offer is even being made.

The last time someone messaged me something like that, (three weeks ago) the book sold within two days at full ask.

yeah....sorry about that message :P

yeah....sorry about that message :P

We will never do business with one another.

Many, many, many prices on eBay are BS (whether they recognize it or not is a different story). I personally know multiple people that list overly high prices as a tactic. :shrug:

Since when is the perception that eBay prices on comics are fair outside of an auction? If anything it is quite the opposite.

In the case this item, a fair price is around $45 (including shipping). However they had shopping listed at $10 flat cost (ridiculous given the weight of the item). So my wanting to land around $50 + $10 shipping was overpaying by about $15 or 30%.

They didn't have to sell and I didn't have to buy. Which is what happened.

I understand and agree with most of your post.

The process takes / wastes time, and often devolves into a silly game

Some sellers list items with high asking prices because, occasionally , someone hits BIN.

"Make an offer" is usually enabled, and the seller can accept a offer well bellow their ask, and still make a profit.

It has been my experience that sales are infrequent using this model,

and those that do employ it are comfortable waiting for the right "buyer", or not.

Buyers who seek such listings, and excel at this type of transaction

may seem "rude" or ridiculous to sellers that believe their items are priced close to FMV,

but are willing to give a small discount to make a sale.