• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the weirdest encounter you have had to buy books?

94 posts in this topic

Not comics but I went to buy a motorcycle dude said it was pristine. I went and the bike was a mess-stripped bolt heads-he said oh you can use a hack saw to cut new channel for screwdriver. Took it for a spin top speed was 20 mph. The motor was beat. Came back he was all hyped up saying you probably noticed it's kinda slow-that's because the tires are low-if you fill em up it will go top speed.

Like I was some complete imbecile buying his BS

Another guy with a 'pristine' bike I get there and here's this bike that had been wrecked. Clutch lever was broke. Dude said just get it going then jump on while it's moving. He had an arm in a cast from doing that.

I went to inspect a car which was quite a desirable model made in very low numbers. Arrived at 09:00am with my good friend who is a mechanic. We were welcomed by two guys sitting on the porch drinking Jim Beam from a bottle with no shirts on. Needless to say the car was a total wreck. They had decided they wanted it to be purple and had spray painted it with hardware pearlescent paint but only a few panels before they gave up, it also had a "custom" (read as home made pvc) inter-cooler.

You haven't seen a paint job till you've seen someone paint a car with a brush using housepaint.

hahahaha That made me laugh outloud.

It was a real shame on this car as before they had gotten to it it looked to be in good working order and pretty straight.

Well, for instance, I was with my bro (MobMedina07) who is also on the boards, I found this add on craigslist for a warehouse full of comics, and I was like holy mess yo.. So we went, and when we got there there was an older fellow who didn't know much about comics, and then there was this younger cat, I'm guessing the books were his. So he tells us "yeah man, I have a lot of bronze age limited books dude worth a lot of money". I looked at my bro and we were like :facepalm: but we looked, and he had tons of boxes hours to look through them all, and there was nothing but drek, and I kid you not this guy knew he had junk drek, I peaked at the corner of my eye seeing him stare at us with a smirk, I was like damnit. And just left.. Now that I think of it. That was quite funny and a horrid situation, this guy was stacked with drek, trying to sell them for an arm and a leg.. :tonofbricks:

So, what is your guys stories? :popcorn:

No, thank goodness, I didn't sell any of my books. I been so busy with school and life issues, I had to take a break from the boards, couldn't spend money anymore. But yeah, in a way Im thinking I'm back... And it does feel good to be on these here boards, and I have purchaseda few books, in the past couple weeks, iI'm also looking to trade my Deadpool #1 CGC9.8 for Hawkeye #1 (2012) First print.. Its a book I been needing I'm my life and I can't spend money right now, so may as well try and trade..

You may have disappeared for 6 months but you sure are making your return known. lol Did you end up selling all of your comics last year? Are you getting back into collecting again?

Offhand, I can't remember ever having a weird comic buying or selling experience.

Quotefail, noob.

:lol: :baiting:

lol it was a mishap, :insane:

:insane:

Bad quotation practices this time.

:ohnoez: :lol: ;)

-slym

Years ago I went with a buddy of mine to look at some Hot Wheels (I think) from a friend of a friend of his. When we got to the house a woman answered the door with no pants on. He didn't buy any Hot Wheels that day.

Years ago I went with a buddy of mine to look at some Hot Wheels (I think) from a friend of a friend of his. When we got to the house a woman answered the door with no pants on. He didn't buy any Hot Wheels that day.

:applause: That sir is a win in my book.. :insane:

Because you guys were doing other stuff? :baiting:

I answered a Craigslist ad about four or five years ago. I corresponded with "Malissa" a few times and finally set a time to look at her collection.

I found the house and rang the doorbell. She answered the door and immediately I couldn't tell if "she" was a transvestite or something else.

After about three hours looking over the collection (nice 2,000 silver and bronze books), she finally told me her story. She basically had a sex-change operation a few years before. But prior to that, he had collected many comics and sports cards.

The bad part was that I couldn't afford the books, and she just didn't trust me enough to sell her books on consignment. So, I gave her the phone numbers of two or three dealers.

I heard from her every two or three months that perhaps she would let me sell the books for her but nothing ever happened.

Then, one day I was at the local comic show and was informed by one of the bigger dealers that he had bought her collection. She stiffed me out of a finder's fee but the dealer didn't.

And then there was the time when I answered another Craigslist ad, which turned out to be from a 14-year-old boy. The story ended after I figured out how old he was and asked if his dad know what he was doing. He told me f--k off via text. And that was that.

I answered a Craigslist ad about four or five years ago. I corresponded with "Malissa" a few times and finally set a time to look at her collection.

I found the house and rang the doorbell. She answered the door and immediately I couldn't tell if "she" was a transvestite or something else.

After about three hours looking over the collection (nice 2,000 silver and bronze books), she finally told me her story. She basically had a sex-change operation a few years before. But prior to that, he had collected many comics and sports cards.

The bad part was that I couldn't afford the books, and she just didn't trust me enough to sell her books on consignment. So, I gave her the phone numbers of two or three dealers.

I heard from her every two or three months that perhaps she would let me sell the books for her but nothing ever happened.

Then, one day I was at the local comic show and was informed by one of the bigger dealers that he had bought her collection. She stiffed me out of a finder's fee but the dealer didn't.

And then there was the time when I answered another Craigslist ad, which turned out to be from a 14-year-old boy. The story ended after I figured out how old he was and asked if his dad know what he was doing. He told me f--k off via text. And that was that.

Was he selling GIJOES?

Was he selling GIJOES?

No. I believe he had a NM #98 and some others. They were probably his dad's and he was just raising money for video games or other teen stuff. (tsk)

Answered a Craiglist ad (how many posts start this way? lol) for a semi-local guy selling books. He lived in a neighboring town that is pretty affluent, but when I got to his street it was a kind of sketchy dead end street and as GPS took me down it I saw this one house I was saying "please don't be that house, please don't be that house,...." and yeah, it was THAT house.

He met me out front and walked me around back and opened up one of those storm cellars and said "come on down, the comics are down here" and disappeared.

So as I stood there for a second and decided what to do, I finally just said "Huh, so this is how I die," and walked down.

Nicest guy. Spent like 45 minutes down there. Bought a 1/2 box of books from him for like $20... easily $150-$200 worth of stuff.

But the story is worth WAY more than the books! :)

Dang you lucky he wasn't going to use you to make a man suit out of

I miss ol Mobby...

Right back at u bud!my bro told me to have a look at his therads on here,so i finally came back to take a look.been trying to stay away because ill end up buying too much books on here again well now im back missed the cool community on here and snarkiness of others lol

Yeah I remember when the mean girls ran you off for bein friends with ol Kav dont worry they dont go after me like they used to

Yeah I remember when the mean girls ran you off for bein friends with ol Kav dont worry they dont go after me like they used to

do i ever remember,i remember the rob leifeld thread lol that sure was epic!well ol' kav maybe i will post another thread it looks like my bro @DEATHLOK has really made up for lost time on here,and i vouch for him about this situation about the guy trying to sell us drek books geez he really didnt know we knew our stuff

Did you ever get that Kirby days of the mob book?

Ps I love it when those boobs say stuff like 'but these books are OLD!'

Cause they're from the 90s.....