• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best comic bags and boards for your more valuable books?

15 posts in this topic

I have a small collection but most of them are silver and bronze age Batman. I hear a lot of good things about MyLites2, but I was wondering which boards to get, fullback or halfback? Will I have trouble getting thicker books into the bag with a fullback? Also, should I just get the silver age sizes Mylites2 even though I have a lot of modern and bronze as well?

Half backs aren't very good for structural support if you are worried about that at all. I ordered a few packs and was a little disappointed when I got them; they were more flimsy than the cheap BCW boards I always get. If you are going to pay the premium anyway, I'd go full backs.

Mylites, fullbacks, and then the most valuable stuff goes inside mylars (with the top flaps cut off so they can fit in a standard comic box).

Mostly Standard size MyLite 2's with full backs for modern copper, bronze and most silver. I up the size for some silver and gold agers.

It's a bit more pricey than the typical poly bag setup, but I've sifted through too many old collections in poly bags and have seen what happens over time (yellow, greasy, sticky bags).

@Oakman - I like your setup! :)

Preserving a valuable comic:

Sleeves: Get .2 mil or .3 mil (thick) mylar sleeves that have a fold-over flap to prevent dust and moisture from entering the bag. For added protection, consider putting the bagged comic inside a "toploader" so that when you're pulling the comic out of the box, you don't have to pinch where the actual comic is located while grabbing the sleeve.

Get backing boards that are Ph buffered. The thicker the better. The buffered backing boards absorb the natural acid of the comic.

Get microchamber paper. Put it at least 2 or 3 places in the comic.

Or, do like the most famous collection ever unearthed so far:

Pick out a closet in the basement.

Clean it out.

Stack your comics in it when you are done reading them.

Of course all those other ways are fine too, just take lots of time and money you could be using to buy comics instead.