• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Philly 2015 (my first major con - review):

89 posts in this topic

I went yesterday. I paid $10 to park all day. I also used a groupon to buy entry tickets (before Jason - youmechooz) hooked me up with some passes. I thought it was a really good mix of vendors and a ton of artists/celebrities. Plenty of long boxes to dig through and plenty of high end comics. My only disappointment was not finding a Vampirella #1 I have been on the hunt for. My highlight was talking with Frank Frazetta's granddaughter and buying a portfolio and some prints. I also met several board members so that was cool as well. Here are some pictures (I am terrible at taking pictures):

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

thanks for all the cool pics

When you are in the minority of comic book collectors and expect the show to cater to your needs specifically you are really asking alot.

You are a high end slab collector. While the market is growing in your specific aspect its such a small part of the market that there is no way a convention can cater to that specific need.

I'm not expecting the convention to cater to my needs. I am simply stating that if they are advertising this as a comic book convention for hardcore collectors; it is not. Lots of collectors on this board are high end slab collectors, but I expected much more for dropping well over a $100 on admission,parking, etc.

After going I now understand why Metropolis Comics didn't make the trip. Again, just my opinion.

Kindly,

mint

I agree Mintcollector

that con sounds like an utter and complete waste of $100

sure its nice to see cosplay cuties but you can see cute girls anywhere in public places

sure its nice to glance at and say you saw Lou Ferigno (again)

but as you mentioned this was supposed to be a "comic book" convention

and unfortunately as numerous threads have confirmed , the comic book aspects of cons is disappearing, replaced by pop culture and causing comic book dealers to be turned off.

I have the Motor city Comic Con coming up this week only an hour away, I am still excited because there is still a nice dealer presence at this con even though comics represent only about 10% of the floor space

I believe the guy selling swords and knives is inappropriate at a comic convention, what's next ? a Nazi regalia booth? a medical marijuana booth?

FYI, last year when my roomie did this show for the first time (and she is one of those more pop-culture oriented booths) the organizers actually approached her because they claimed that they wanted to expand the appeal in non-dealer booths. So this isn't an issue of dealers not really coming as much as the organizers seeking out non-dealer vendors to appeal more to the cosplay/pop-culture geek/female audience.

What do you think they told prospective comic vendors? tattoo shops? massage chair, etc...

going to one comics convention and drawing negative conclusions is a bit myopic for such an experienced longtime collecting professional. Any one of us could have told you that conventions are no longer the place to seek HG slabbed keys. And a midrange show like Wizard Philly would not be the exception to the rule.

The days of dealers holding back their best stuff for conventions is long past. Go for fun, to hang out with dealers, collectors, etc, to be in the mix of the hobby… and be content to come home empty handed.

and yeah, but a ticket early or even better, get a pass from a dealer you do business with instead of ponying up $100 after which your expectations will surely be dashed.

When you are in the minority of comic book collectors and expect the show to cater to your needs specifically you are really asking alot.

You are a high end slab collector. While the market is growing in your specific aspect its such a small part of the market that there is no way a convention can cater to that specific need.

I'm not expecting the convention to cater to my needs. I am simply stating that if they are advertising this as a comic book convention for hardcore collectors; it is not. Lots of collectors on this board are high end slab collectors, but I expected much more for dropping well over a $100 on admission,parking, etc.

After going I now understand why Metropolis Comics didn't make the trip. Again, just my opinion.

Kindly,

mint

I can understand that. I usually only go for one day so I can go thru all the dealers in one day and be done. I will have to keep more eye on that. The local Wizard shows in Louisville and STL had plenty of dealers for me, but I am sure others shows especially larger ones are changing.

Kindly,

mint

Its common knowledge that Wizard world is a pop culture event to wait in line for signatures...

You can find literally hundreds of posts here, every single thread with Wizard in the title usually has the obligatory "Wizard world isnt for hardcore collectors" post with a chorus of agreement in follow up posts.

How you 'expected more' is simply you not doing your research.

I suggest talking to the guys you buy from and getting their opinion, be it Frank C., Gary, Eides,Greggy,heroesNC, richie whoever..

I doubt any of them would have said "go to Philly wizard world for your needs bro"

I say Baltimore is legit, most likely chance this year of finding a tec 31 or 2..

I have a feeling you are just at that point a lot of us veterans are at, where we have everything in high grade except for tec 31..

in which case you will need to be patient for what you are looking for to come around and be ready to bid fortunes away.

FYI, last year when my roomie did this show for the first time (and she is one of those more pop-culture oriented booths) the organizers actually approached her because they claimed that they wanted to expand the appeal in non-dealer booths. So this isn't an issue of dealers not really coming as much as the organizers seeking out non-dealer vendors to appeal more to the cosplay/pop-culture geek/female audience.

What do you think they told prospective comic vendors? tattoo shops? massage chair, etc...

I don't know if they told them anything. I think they simply didn't seek out new comics vendors & try to convince them to buy booth space, assuming that most of those vendors would already be planning on buying space or not. And if 1 vendor didn't, another vendor would.

It's more of an issue of them actively seeking out small businesses that specialize in niche comic & pop-culture related products/services that aren't actually comic books per se & contacting them to say "hi. I represent WizardWorld & we have been trying to find businesses that sell/offer X service/product & we came across your business in the process. We think you'd be a great fit to expand our appeal beyond the traditional comic book vendors & artists, sword/knife dealers, statue dealers, etc. Would you be interested in vending? I think it would help you find new customers just by being there."

Thanks for the Philly report and photos... that give me something to know this con is not for me to go next year. I'm not a big fan of pop stuff with the likes of TV sitcoms and such. In the minority of comic collectors is what I am.

Yeah, the display of spreading $100 bills around keys is old news for me. Tacky rantrant

I had a Wizard convention next door to me in Portland a little over year ago. I was in the area for another event. I looked at the guest list and cost of admission, and said "No thanks."

I remember the good/bad old days, when admission was a couple bucks, and all it was was dealer's tables and an occasional guest like Steranko.

You could get a whole day in picking through boxes - old paper and body odor were the predominant smells. 50-60 dealer tables and 1-2 girls :lol:

I am simply stating that if they are advertising this as a comic book convention for hardcore collectors; it is not.

Please show where this was advertised as a comic book convention for hardcore collectors.

ww_zpsbpjtpvw1.jpg

I am simply stating that if they are advertising this as a comic book convention for hardcore collectors; it is not.

Please show where this was advertised as a comic book convention for hardcore collectors.

ww_zpsbpjtpvw1.jpg

I think its an implied when you call it a comic con. If you heard a sports card con was in town you wouldn't expect to go and only have baseball hats and HOF players signing balls. I'd love it if they changed the name to fantasy con or Entertainment con to help me know which cons are actually going to have comics at them.

ww_zpsbpjtpvw1.jpg

I think its an implied when you call it a comic con. If you heard a sports card con was in town you wouldn't expect to go and only have baseball hats and HOF players signing balls. I'd love it if they changed the name to fantasy con or Entertainment con to help me know which cons are actually going to have comics at them.

I guess I'm focusing too much on the word 'hardcore'.

thanks for the report and the pics.

I think the OP did a pretty good job of qualifying his opinions, basically stating that this type of show is not for him, and named some things that would have made it more enjoyable to him. Sounds reasonable. They're not for everyone, and I'm sure every show that everyone attends could have some things that would make it more enjoyable to a given individual.

The days of dealers holding back their best stuff for conventions is long past. Go for fun, to hang out with dealers, collectors, etc, to be in the mix of the hobby… and be content to come home empty handed.

and yeah, but a ticket early or even better, get a pass from a dealer you do business with instead of ponying up $100 after which your expectations will surely be dashed.

Best bit of advice I've seen. Compared to shows I attended in SD, NYC and elsewhere in the 1990s, current shows don't have the selection, although not all Cons are the same.

Best bit of advice I've seen. Compared to shows I attended in SD, NYC and elsewhere in the 1990s, current shows don't have the selection, although not all Cons are the same.

Pre On-line sales I can only imagine how impressive and diverse booths were at Cons. You had pretty much one shot to wow attendees and pull in the big fish buyers.

Pre On-line sales I can only imagine how impressive and diverse booths were at Cons. You had pretty much one shot to wow attendees and pull in the big fish buyers.

There was one show in late 1996 in NYC which I attended - I could've spent six figures easily. In fact I should have.