• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This means war

14 posts in this topic

A local guy booked a hotel to put on a comic toy show end of June. But once the people who put on the "big" shows got wind of it, they booked the same hotel a week before the other show and offered free admission. Calling it Fan Appreciation show, instead of crush the little guy show There are even allegations of the big show folks going around telling comic shops that the other show was cancelled so book theirs! It has local vendors picking sides as well as collectors.

Any other shenanigans go on like this in other markets?

A local guy booked a hotel to put on a comic toy show end of June. But once the people who put on the "big" shows got wind of it, they booked the same hotel a week before the other show and offered free admission. Calling it Fan Appreciation show, instead of crush the little guy show There are even allegations of the big show folks going around telling comic shops that the other show was cancelled so book theirs! It has local vendors picking sides as well as collectors.

Any other shenanigans go on like this in other markets?

Do you have links to advertisements for the two shows?

Yeah, I used to throw raves back before it was all EDM and such and in a few of the bigger cities when a smaller promotion company would try and do an event the big companies (who normally were competition to each other) would band together and throw one massive event on the same day just to bankrupt the little up and comer.

I used to DJ for those guys regularly and the response was "because the smaller promoters would often cut corners on their shows - ie: no insurance, proper permits, etc due to lack of experience and as such if anything went down it would hurt the club scene as a whole."

I didnt necessarily agree w the methods, but understood.

They def wouldn't get so low-brow as to throw rumors around about the little guys though.

The same thing happened here last September(?) with the hotel show popping up a week before the Maples show. From what I saw and heard, the Maples show was not so good for the vendors.

Merely swamp em with fake shows they'll keep scrambling to set up show after show and lose money in the process.