• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie Kickstarter: Jughead, Betty & Veronica, and Kevin Keller

12 posts in this topic

I posted this in a comics general forum as well, but since a lot of people don't dip their toes into that mire, I thought I should crosspost it here as well for those interested in the doings of Archie Comics.

Archie Comics has launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the release of three companion titles to their relaunch of Archie #1: Jughead, Betty & Veronica, and Kevin Keller.

Betty and Veronica will be written and drawn by Adam Hughes.

Jughead will be written by Chip Zdarsky of Sex Criminals and Howard the Duck fame.

Kevin Keller will be written and drawn by Dan Parent, with inking by J. Bone.

Archie is looking for $350,000 to launch these three new titles. CEO Jon Goldwater explained in an interview with CBR that Archie Comics wants to relaunch the entire universe essentially all at once, but as a small, privately owned company, without Kickstarter they will have to play the long game and wait to see in the future how the Archie reboot from Mark Waid and Fiona Staples is doing.

There are some pretty sweet incentives. For regular joes like me, the coolest option in my opinion is the $50 pledge, which gets you among other things a Kickstarter exclusive variant of Archie #1 with a new cover by Fiona Staples.

There are higher level pledges, including one where you get that variant signed by both Waid and Fiona, and a retailer incentive where you get 10 copies of the variant plus a bunch of other stuff. And there are pledge levels for super rich fans, including ones where you get put into Afterlife with Archie or Sabrina as a character, or appear on the cover of an issue of Archie.

Here's a link to the Kickstarter.

A taste of what you might expect from Adam Hughes if the campaign gets funded - here's his variant cover for Betty and Veronica #275:

FEB150973.jpg

They have been adding some new rewards.

Previously, there was a $50 option to get a Kickstarter Exclusive variant cover for Archie #1 by Fiona Staples.

That option is still available, but they have added two more $50 options - one for a Kickstarter Exclusive variant cover for Betty & Veronica #1, and one for a Kickstarter Exclusive variant cover for Jughead #1.

They have not announced who the artists will be for the Betty & Veronica and Jughead exclusive variants.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/11/comic-stores-boycott-archie-over-kickstarter-as-archie-signs-deal-with-targetwal-mart/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

This is hot garbage. Now we are suppose to help them pay for the artist they can't afford? Get a clue Goldwater. What a joke.

Now he says they have to do it because they spent all their money on Target and Walmart shelf space, and can't pay for their artist and employees. Won't y'all step right up and pay for our company's inability to manage their own spending? Screw this Goldwater guy.

Multiple statements from Archie reps over the course of the last few days implied that the company didn’t need the money per se; it just couldn’t put out the books that it wanted to on the schedule that it preferred, and so the Kickstarter money would allow that to happen.

giphy.gif

Good decision killing the Kickstarter campaign, especially if they 'didn't really need the money.' I also don't think the needle was moving fast enough in terms of funds raised per day, so they are also saving face of possibly not hitting their goal.