• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picasso Sold for 179 Million USD

22 posts in this topic

Article about the sale with some interesting observations about the current fine art market some may find applicable to the comic art market...Mike

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/05/11/pablo_picasso_s_women_of_algiers_disappears_tonight_for_140_million_say.html

That was an incredibly interesting article, and what a beautiful painting!

Prior Sales History

"The Picasso was considered a trophy as much for its ownership pedigree as its artistic merits. The work last changed hands 18 years ago when the estate of U.S. collectors Victor and Sally Ganz sold it through the auction house to a London dealer for $31.9 million. Its seller on Monday remains anonymous."

Article about the sale with some interesting observations about the current fine art market some may find applicable to the comic art market...Mike

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/05/11/pablo_picasso_s_women_of_algiers_disappears_tonight_for_140_million_say.html

What a great article. Not what I was expecting at all from the writer.

Prior Sales History

"The Picasso was considered a trophy as much for its ownership pedigree as its artistic merits. The work last changed hands 18 years ago when the estate of U.S. collectors Victor and Sally Ganz sold it through the auction house to a London dealer for $31.9 million. Its seller on Monday remains anonymous."

The trophy aspect is what drives the value of much art, plus the fact they've been trophies for generations. When you know something has been considered valuable and sought after by many who came before you, it makes you want it, too.

Comic art may achieve that status in time, but it will most likely be limited to the most iconic pieces by the best known artists, the ones that display well and which don't need a lot of explanation.

e.g. a famous iconic character in a pose reproduced enough that it's familiar to the most casual comic or movie fan (famous character, famous pose, famous artist). and/or a piece with self-contained and self-explained action and prose (the cover or page "tells a story" by itself and doesn't call excess and awkward attention to the fact that it's in the middle of a story). And/or a piece whose importance is self-evident to the casual comic fan, such as first (or early) issue, debut of key element or character). And by an artist whose name is a household word. (Kirby)

yup, people with too much money, chasing bragging rights and names. Like the debate about monetary policy's effect on AF15, any luxury good/luxury asset is going to feel the weight of real inflation(money printing), not the fake retail inflation numbers rattled off on the news.

If the income of the richest of the rich goes up 500% in 5 years, the price of everything they buy will as well, making other things they dont buy look cheap by comparison, and force all boats up with the tide.

That's why Hulk 1 spiked to chase after AF15, etc etc.

Saltz is definitely one of the more high-profile art critics and writes frequently about the market. And yes, many similarities to our own hobby. As I've said, forget about comparing the "art". The underlying motivations of the ultra high-end collectors are the same, the psychology is the same, so the resulting behavior is predictable. That's where the similarities lie, the objects could be anything.

Enjoyed the read, thanks for posting.

Saltz is definitely one of the more high-profile art critics and writes frequently about the market. And yes, many similarities to our own hobby. As I've said, forget about comparing the "art". The underlying motivations of the ultra high-end collectors are the same, the psychology is the same, so the resulting behavior is predictable. That's where the similarities lie, the objects could be anything.

Agreed!

Which character did he help create?

And is there a movie coming out? :popcorn:

Here's the trailer

Tremendous leaps to conclusion are made in that article based on multiple debatable assumptions. Majority thought is probably inline with everything written, but that's majority. I'll read the Minority Report every time, even if I ultimately do not agree with it. In the case of this article, I can't accept most/all of the assumptions, so I can't follow to the conclusion(s) either. Out of respect for not hammering this Board with yet another economics/demographics 101 thing...that's it from me. PM if you want to discuss further :)

And thanks for posting it.