• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No More Mutants or how Marvel continues to mess with Fox

131 posts in this topic

Keep in mind that Marvel was lauded for becoming a licensing company and was the most profitable company in America a few years before they got bought out. It made sense to license their characters out to Fox at the time and was considered a smart business decision.

Now that Marvel is a film studio, they are in direct competition with Fox. They wont be getting their license back from Fox anytime soon, if ever..., so business wise, it makes sense for them to move forward and look out for their own interest.

Caught in between all this are the fans. In general, the comic book market is very small. Last I check (a few years back) Marvel and DC print profits did not even register in the TM/Disney AR. For most comic book readers, it's just another story. For older folks who have an emotional investment with the history it's sacrilegious. I'm not saying we don't matter, but where change is concerned, we are only a small blip on their radar. I suspect the history will continue to be rewritten as baby boomers continue to die off.

“Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave to corporations.”

“I've read things you people wouldn't believe. World eaters that devour planets and a silvery surfer skimming the cosmos. I've read about the rebirth of a being so powerful it transformed her into a fiery bird only to be consumed, in the end... by her love. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...”

I'm pretty sick of superheroes. (shrug)
I know I'm sick of the big two and they're damned reboots. :P

They are...?

Time and Newsweek, who do you think I'm talking about? :eyeroll:

Any characters can make an excellent movie with a solid -script. It wouldn't be easy but it's possible. I don't think Hollywood can pull it off though. This wouldn't be a standard superhero movie. But they could play off the angle that was so successful for x men-the outsider group misunderstood and trying to save the world while being targeted by the people they are trying to save. Black Bolt could sign using subtitles so his character gets fully developed. Medusa is a powerful hot head and Crystal is the link between human and inhumans.

Diamond Select - Unlikely To Make Marvel Figures Based On Fox Movies

Diamond Select Toys president Chuck Terceira answers questions in his regular Q&A session with fans.

Q: Does Marvel Select have the license to do figures based on X-Men: Apocalypse? If so, they should seriously consider doing Angel/Archangel with the recently revealed movie look. He is a requested character, has a large fan base, and his new badass movie costume is looking very nice. And since they would probably only do one movie figure (please let it be Angel/Archangel), they could also do the requested comic Apocalypse to go with it. Thanks and keep up the great work.

A: Right now we do not, but the movie situation with Marvel is very fluid. That said I think we’re unlikely to make figures based on the Fox movies going forward.

Does anybody really want an Inhumans movie? Black Bolt? Medusa? I can't see it translate to the big screen.

I bet not everyone wanted an Guardians movie, but look how that turned out.

This whole affair is like watching mom and dad fight over who has to take Sally for the weekend.

:popcorn:

Sally.

What a slut.

This whole affair is like watching mom and dad fight over who has to take Sally for the weekend.

:popcorn:

Sally.

What a slut.

Holy. Cow.

The fact is that Marvel's behavior is quite rational.

Sure, for a 2 year-old having a tantrum.

cause focusing your energies on what makes you money after losing control of your most popular assets is a tantrum....

Yes, if you do so in a vindictive, petty type of "scorch the Earth" deal, like a nerd taking a pen-knive to his basketball after being dunked on, then yes, definitely. Corporate entities are like people, some are good, some are bad, and some behave like spoiled little princesses.

And the funniest thing about Disney's latest tantrum is that it accomplishes absolutely nothing. Fox still has the rights to the X-Men and Wolverine, their enemies and all existing mutants, all in writing. Retconning all mutants into sex-changed symbiotes from the planet Narnia would do nothing to change that.

And as we all realize, today's Marvel Comics are about as important to pop culture as the flea on the bump on Wolverine's butt. It's the movies and the collective consciousness of decades of comic book adventures that drive the popularity of these characters, not what low-selling drek sits on the shelves today. So Wolverine is dead, who cares? Did his last movie tank? Is Hulk 181 suddenly a bargain bin comic? Huh?

Fox could keep making Wolverine and X-Men movies until the cows come home, and this little "Disney flip-out" won't matter a bit. All it does is make corporate Disney look like a spoiled little brat.

Thank you.

It has been hard to find someone who thinks exactly as I do about this situation.

I quit reading Marvel comics after the Original Sin nonsense with Nick Fury. I have not regretted the decision once.

Yeah, that was so, so bad.

As was A vs X. Just horrible. I quit buying most of my Marvels around this time. I think DD may be the last one I buy now.

The only Marvels I buy are Brubaker/Phillips and the now defunct Hawkeye. Everything else is crud. The Ultimates Millar and Daredevil Brubaker-Lark were good.

Does anybody really want an Inhumans movie? Black Bolt? Medusa? I can't see it translate to the big screen.

I don't.

I've never liked the Inhumans, and probably never will.

I also don't see how they will translate well to the big screen, but I hope Marvel can somehow change my mind on both.

After GotG, who knows...?

The only Marvels I buy are Brubaker/Phillips and the now defunct Hawkeye. Everything else is crud. The Ultimates Millar and Daredevil Brubaker-Lark were good.

Agreed.

Daredevil has been great for a decade.

The Ultimate line was very good in the beginning as well.

Nowadays... Not so much.

I don't understand why Dan Slott gets so much love. I hate his Spidey. ugh ugh ugh.