• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That time you KNEW you overpaid...

49 posts in this topic

In March, while out of state, I stopped at a local hobby shop that also sold some comic paraphernalia. The store happened to have two framed original comic covers for sale (and no other original OA). The covers were from the '90s -- a lot of people dislike OA from the Terrible '90s, I get it, but I happen to enjoy it -- and one of the covers really appealed to me. It was done by a not-especially popular artist on a not-especially popular title but, again, an artist and title I personally enjoyed. I've been casually searching for a cover from the series for about five years, either missing my opportunity at the last minute but not finding much available in any case.

It was priced at an even $1000. Not big money for the Big Dogs but a financial hit in my household, especially considering the trip and more recent expenses. The store owner says he's had the cover "forever", it's been on the store wall "forever", and it's been a grand for the same length of time. I think it's overpriced by about $300 (from what I've observed similar past sales) but the owner's not interested in doing any price adjustment, trade, or other offers.

I didn't buy the piece but I can't forget it, either. I just called the store and the artwork is still on the wall. Hey, it might be on the wall a decade from now...unless I buy it.

I'm seriously considering doing so but I think I'll be paying more than I'm likely to ever get back. Have any of you done the same and, if you have, do you regret it now?

This is a question of how much you really just want it. If you really do, and don't think similar or better will come along (sounds like not, yes?) then you go for it and hold your nose in doing so. The too-high price will be forgotten in time, especially if you pare back on other discretionaries for a bit to make up for the extravagance. (And you really should do this, to balance the scales back.) That's my take. Have done this a number of times and never regretted it. Not because in a bull market overpaid equals deal in a year or two, but because those pieces would only ever leave my collection to upgrade to an even better piece by the same artist on the same book or issue. As long as you really know thyself, exert future discipline, and don't do this all this time...you'll be good. Ya know?

My purchases these days are driven by answering one simple question. Do I love the piece. If I like a piece or think a piece is nice or think it is cool, I grab a copy of the image, save it on my hard disk and move on. I only buy items I truly love so zero impulse buying.

I would wait a while and then walk into the store with eight $100 bills and lay them on the counter. I find that money talks loudest, and hundreds are especially effective.

But in the end I would buy the art even if that approach fell short and I dug it as much as you seem to.

I'm seriously considering doing so but I think I'll be paying more than I'm likely to ever get back. Have any of you done the same and, if you have, do you regret it now?

I've consciously overpaid for art many times. If I still love the art, I don't regret it. Some pieces I have overpaid for and fallen out of love with some time later...those purchases I regret. :sorry:

I have overpaid for things I wanted whether sketches at cons, comics, or for that matter eating in a supposedly good restaurant! Not one to take week long vacations or weekend getaway's for that matter for the most part, granted when semi local conventions roll around I figure if I spend a little extra on something I want then it's worth it to me, or wait maybe that is why I don't take many vacations! lol

I've consciously overpaid for art many times. If I still love the art, I don't regret it. Some pieces I have overpaid for and fallen out of love with some time later...those purchases I regret. :sorry:

Time to move the #19 cover hm

I've overpaid several times and have never regretted it. In fact, I have sold pieces and then regretted THAT and then have overpaid to get them back. And a $300 overpay isn't too bad. I think in time, you will regret if you find it is no longer on their wall and also not on yours.

My only purchase from Coollines

Dealing with the Donnelly Brothers is a regret all in itself.

Uh oh. I'm interested in getting one of their covers but I feel it's overpriced and then I see this comment.

When buying artwork there's no real price guide, just historical precedent that can be used as a gauge to the estimated marketplace value, so walking into a piece before you even see a price tag you should ask yourself "what is this worth to me?" and not get too tied up into what is perceived as a bargain or gauging since all pieces are one of a kind and irreplaceable verbatim to that specific piece.

Part of that evaluation is how much you like vs love the piece. Is it a purchase out of passion or more logical with the thought in mind of being an investment? With the price tag amount, do you feel you can use that same amount of money and get greater buying power elsewhere (other pieces, other artists, other dealers/reps, etc.)?

There's been more pieces I felt with 20/20 hindsight I should have purchased years ago that I had an opportunity to buy that either I got outbid on or was too frugal to pull the trigger for which I now sort of regret not buying.

With that, I don't really ever think I've overpaid on any artwork other than on commissions where an artist disappoints and falls asleep at the wheel in their rendering.

Time to move the #19 cover hm

:signfunny:

Uh oh. I'm interested in getting one of their covers but I feel it's overpriced and then I see this comment.

hah, it's not just a feeling. read the thread on them first. :)

If you have masochistic tendencies, I'd definitely recommend dealing with Stevey D!

hah, it's not just a feeling. read the thread on them first. :)

BTW, I knew I was over paying (point of this thread) and went in with eyes wide open. I felt like I "needed" the page at the time.

Flip through your portfolio and pull out the 2 pages you like the least, and sell them. Use that money against the cover, it will cushion things. Is the frame included? It should be. If he makes a move to remove the art, ask for the frame to be included. When you get home, pull the art out of the frame, then use it to frame your favourite unframed piece.

The net result: you are down 1 piece. You paid less for a cover you want. And you get to look at a favourite piece everyday, plus you saved the $300 it would cost to frame it. Lots of win.