• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That time you KNEW you overpaid...

49 posts in this topic

I over payed just once. No regrets. There's nothing like Cursed Pirate Girl, and there was no way to get anything like this any cheaper.

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1012577&GSub=144857

If there's no way to get anything like it for less, t doesn't sound like you overpaid at all.

Great piece, too. Congrats.

I overpaid for my first few 'big' purchases...the Dazzler #1 cover & a Marvel Team-Up cover featuring Spidey & Wonder Man ... and I knew it. But I really wanted both and the seller wasn't actively looking to sell so I paid what I had to pay.

I absolutely don't regret the hefty price I paid for the Dazzler cover because it's my favorite piece and a decade later, I know I'll make a nice return if I ever decide to part with it.

The MTU cover is a different story -- I had to sell it quickly awhile back and took a big loss. Now I think a dealer (don't recall who) is offering it for $10K ... (sigh)

But other than that, nearly all the art I've purchased that I've sold has been profitable. The reason for that I believe, is that I mostly follow the BEST piece of advice I ever received from collectors when I took the OA plunge: Buy What You Like. If you do that, then you can't lose.

Know your spending limits and stick to them, but also know when NOT to let a few hundred bucks keep you from a piece you want.

My big OA regret: not pulling the trigger on the Larkin cover to the Empire Strikes Back Marvel Super Special when it popped up on eBay 9-10 yrs ago. BIN was $3K...slept on it, went back for it in the morning, and it was gone. ARGH!

My big OA regret: not pulling the trigger on the Larkin cover to the Empire Strikes Back Marvel Super Special when it popped up on eBay 9-10 yrs ago. BIN was $3K...slept on it, went back for it in the morning, and it was gone. ARGH!

I remember that like it was yesterday. I also remember Dave Mandel asking whoever got it to give a shout. ASAP Not often you get Mandel chasing you :)

Question: Did Dave end up with the piece at the end of it all? I don't remember one way or other...

That's one I would have overpaid for.... That's a grail for me; I read that book to tatters as a kid

I overpaid for a couple Items, but the Best thing I ever overpaid for at the time was my Marvel Super Special 10 cover. That cover lingered on ebay a couple years ago and I found out the seller was local so I bought it off ebay and picked it up in person saving a few bucks. I am pretty sure I can easily get my money back now if I ever needed to sell.

I overpaid for a couple Items, but the Best thing I ever overpaid for at the time was my Marvel Super Special 10 cover. That cover lingered on ebay a couple years ago and I found out the seller was local so I bought it off ebay and picked it up in person saving a few bucks. I am pretty sure I can easily get my money back now if I ever needed to sell.

I am sure you could, Brian! That is an AWESOME cover! I remember when you could actually find cool OA on eBay....

I remember that like it was yesterday. I also remember Dave Mandel asking whoever got it to give a shout. ASAP Not often you get Mandel chasing you :)

Question: Did Dave end up with the piece at the end of it all? I don't remember one way or other...

not entirely sure, but don't think Dave has it. He's usually good at posting his Star Wars art finds. I've never seen that ESB cover painting pop up again -- it seems to have fallen into that black hole that classic Marvel Star Wars comic art seems to wind up in.