• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2015 - Say it ain't so! Why can't more people go?

73 posts in this topic

Javits is HUGE (it's gotten bigger) and there's nothing to compare to it on the isle of mannyhatty (save perhaps Madison Square Garden). I got my Thursday passes in a nick of time. To me that's the best day anyway. I'm just happy that day hasn't been screwed up yet. I imagine in time I won't even be able to get one of those, there will be so many more people buying Thursday tickets. Until that day, I continue to go as long as I can get tickets for Thursday. The other days are so crowded, I won't miss not being there.

Wouldnt it make sense for show to raise ticket prices in the case of tickets selling too fast? Not sure I get the logic of buying tickets being like winning a lottery when simple supply/demand pricing by show would solve issue.

Wouldnt it make sense for show to raise ticket prices in the case of tickets selling too fast? Not sure I get the logic of buying tickets being like winning a lottery when simple supply/demand pricing by show would solve issue.

This would do it. My guess is the promotor are reluctant to take this route for fear of the criticism that they were ripping people off.

But after spending more than two hours online and being able only to buy single-day Th, Fri, and Sun tickets, I would gladly pay considerably more for a four day pass.

I checked with a friend - couldn't get through and kept getting his timed out - bout four individual passes on stub hub

Pretty much what happened to me.

I read online that they are trying to track down stub-hub and other resellers and cancel their tickets. It even went so far as to say that if you buy the tickets on those sites they could be cancelled.

:pullhair:

Even leaving that aside, I would be reluctant to buy through Stub-Hub or eBay this far in advance of the tickets actually being mailed out.

This would do it. My guess is the promotor are reluctant to take this route for fear of the criticism that they were ripping people off.

But after spending more than two hours online and being able only to buy single-day Th, Fri, and Sun tickets, I would gladly pay considerably more for a four day pass.

From a vendor standpoint, who wants the admission to be that high? NYCC is already one of the most expensive cons out there ( Right on par with SDCC) If they raised the prices (say to $200 for a 4 day ticket) how will people react when they get there? The more expensive you make it the more people will want to "get" for their ticket cost. Which means they will want to see more panels, buy more con exclusives etc. So your traditional sellers (i.e. G.A.tor, Bob Storms, Motor City etc) will have an even thougher time because less foot traffic (people are sitting in panels instead of wandering the floor) and higher costs (who want's to buy a $1,000 comic after spending $200 just to get in the door, at that point I'll just pay the online dealer $1200 and never have to step through the door and deal with all the people)

Javits is HUGE (it's gotten bigger) and there's nothing to compare to it on the isle of mannyhatty (save perhaps Madison Square Garden). I got my Thursday passes in a nick of time. To me that's the best day anyway. I'm just happy that day hasn't been screwed up yet. I imagine in time I won't even be able to get one of those, there will be so many more people buying Thursday tickets. Until that day, I continue to go as long as I can get tickets for Thursday. The other days are so crowded, I won't miss not being there.

Glad Thursday is a good day to go, cause that is all I have!

Hoping to find a way into Friday as well, but we will see.

From a vendor standpoint, who wants the admission to be that high? NYCC is already one of the most expensive cons out there ( Right on par with SDCC) If they raised the prices (say to $200 for a 4 day ticket) how will people react when they get there? The more expensive you make it the more people will want to "get" for their ticket cost. Which means they will want to see more panels, buy more con exclusives etc. So your traditional sellers (i.e. G.A.tor, Bob Storms, Motor City etc) will have an even thougher time because less foot traffic (people are sitting in panels instead of wandering the floor) and higher costs (who want's to buy a $1,000 comic after spending $200 just to get in the door, at that point I'll just pay the online dealer $1200 and never have to step through the door and deal with all the people)

:shrug:

Don't know how else to solve outside making people register for individual tickets like SDCC to avoid the resale element. Based on everything I have seen, the scalpers are driving a HUGE part of the problem.

The point is that many people end up paying more than that anyway to scalpers. When I checked Stub-Hub, the lowest priced four-day pass was over $300.

So, we've already seen the effect of high ticket prices because a lot of people walking in the door have had to pay over face value. This was certainly true last year when I was obliged to buy my tickets on Stub-Hub and I know a number of other people did as well.

raising ticket prices will cut out the scalper.

all the scalper is doing is buying the ticket and marking up to the max point it will still sell. That margin that the scalper is pocketing, if it was simply a raised ticket price the scalper would not get involved as they have no margin to make.

i cant see extending a show to 6 or 7 days to allow more customers in because the vendors would have limits to what they can physically handle, they look like the walking dead swelled up with con flu after 4 days.

Is there any indication people wouldn't pay more than they currently are?

Scalpers are already charging the most they think they can get. That's what scalpers do.

Scalpers are already charging the most they think they can get. That's what scalpers do.

Maybe. Maybe not. Do you think if scalpers for NYCC all upped their prices $10 it would have a big impact on people buying tickets from them? And are all the tickets available from them selling out? If they are, they could probably charge more.

Maybe. Maybe not. Do you think if scalpers for NYCC all upped their prices $10 it would have a big impact on people buying tickets from them? And are all the tickets available from them selling out? If they are, they could probably charge more.

If they could charge more, why aren't they already? Are they just being charitable?

If they could charge more, why aren't they already? Are they just being charitable?

Competition? To my question, do you think it would have a big impact on scalpers selling tickets if they all raised them by $10? How have prices on the secondary market changed over the years compared to ticket prices? Have they increased?

If they wanted to stop scalping they should make more tickets available...for free.

Competition? To my question, do you think it would have a big impact on scalpers selling tickets if they all raised them by $10? How have prices on the secondary market changed over the years compared to ticket prices? Have they increased?

Of course it's competition. But the point is that they are currently charging the most they can given the competition. If they thought they could charge $10 more, they already would have.

If they wanted to stop scalping they should make more tickets available...for free.
Find my Gang Bangs yet? (shrug)

That would do it, although it might make the venue a trifle crowded. :D