• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2015 - Say it ain't so! Why can't more people go?

73 posts in this topic

If they wanted to stop scalping they should make more tickets available...for free.
Find my Gang Bangs yet? (shrug)

Sold them to some scalpers. Tough luck bro.

If they wanted to stop scalping they should make more tickets available...for free.
Find my Gang Bangs yet? (shrug)

Sold them to some scalpers. Tough luck bro.

:cry:

That would do it, although it might make the venue a trifle crowded. :D

The traditional dealers, like Gator, would have more people to talk to.

Was on at 12. Kept getting error messages. PM'd a fellow boardie and we make a pact, if one of us gets in, that person would buy tickets for each other. He ended up getting in and secured us four 4 day passes at 1 hour and 44 minutes of waiting. What a poop show. Such a joke. They should of used ticketmaster.

#comiccongate #showclixsucks

Is there any indication people wouldn't pay more than they currently are?

Scalpers are already charging the most they think they can get. That's what scalpers do.

Maybe. Maybe not. Do you think if scalpers for NYCC all upped their prices $10 it would have a big impact on people buying tickets from them? And are all the tickets available from them selling out? If they are, they could probably charge more.

If they could charge more, why aren't they already? Are they just being charitable?

Competition? To my question, do you think it would have a big impact on scalpers selling tickets if they all raised them by $10? How have prices on the secondary market changed over the years compared to ticket prices? Have they increased?

Of course it's competition. But the point is that they are currently charging the most they can given the competition. If they thought they could charge $10 more, they already would have.

You don't know that. If we put up a poll here and asked people if an increase in prices from the secondary market of $10 would make them not buy a ticket how many people do you think would say yes?

You are also assuming this is some kind of exact science. Scalpers don't know what the magical number is that is the absolute most people would be willing to pay.

You also don't know how much of a cut to their margin would make selling tickets not worth it.

That would do it, although it might make the venue a trifle crowded. :D

The traditional dealers, like Gator, would have more people to talk to.

Gator had all the talk he needed last year -- it was sales he was lacking!

Scalpers are already charging the most they think they can get. That's what scalpers do.

Maybe. Maybe not. Do you think if scalpers for NYCC all upped their prices $10 it would have a big impact on people buying tickets from them? And are all the tickets available from them selling out? If they are, they could probably charge more.

If they could charge more, why aren't they already? Are they just being charitable?

Competition? To my question, do you think it would have a big impact on scalpers selling tickets if they all raised them by $10? How have prices on the secondary market changed over the years compared to ticket prices? Have they increased?

Of course it's competition. But the point is that they are currently charging the most they can given the competition. If they thought they could charge $10 more, they already would have.

You don't know that. If we put up a poll here and asked people if an increase in prices from the secondary market of $10 would make them not buy a ticket how many people do you think would say yes?

You are also assuming this is some kind of exact science. Scalpers don't know what the magical number is that is the absolute most people would be willing to pay.

You also don't know how much of a cut to their margin would make selling tickets not worth it.

We are just going around and around. Like all other businesspeople, scalpers charge the highest price they think they can given the competition they face.

Bottom line: Current system: People who are getting tickets at face value are 1) people who could be online for a couple of hours in the middle of the day and who got lucky; and 2) scalpers who -- apparently -- could game the system electronically

People who don't fall into those categories buy from scalpers at way over face value.

It would be more efficient for NYCC to raise the price to clear the market. As I mentioned a few posts ago, they may not feel that's in their best interest because some people would feel ripped off. Whether the negative fallout from this year's fiasco will change their minds remains to be seen.

Edited to add: Of course, there is a third category who get in via dealer passes and the like.

I call nonsense on those prices.

There are 3 solid alternatives to this (con) vention, all of which take place in June/July and are either in or around NY.

Option 1:

Eternal Con in Mid June.

It's run by Frank , who is Mike Carbo's partner with WinterCon so you know that Frank knows how to promote a shoow and neither Frank nor Mike gouges attendees on redonkulously high admission prices.

Eternal Con has THREE floors of vendors, I'm sure there will be solid silver/gold dealers there.EternalCon's vendor list hasn't been updated in a while either b/c I booked/paid for a table there over a month ago and my name isn't on the vendor list.Here's his (not) updated vendor list anyway:

Option 2:

If you're father out, there's Albany Comic Con the first weekend of June, which is run by the Belskis Brothers.

I know those 2 cats from back in the day before they moved their shop from south jersey to Albany.Good guys, who always had a decent selection of golden age books, fairly priced.

John Belskis has either a complete run, or near complete run of Timely Captain America in his personal collection and I know he brings in good dealers to his shows.

I'll be there with two tables (not that I have a whole lotta $1000 silver/gold books but anyway....and cough cough, John didn't put me onto his vendor list either, despite booking for 2 tables over a month ago so there will likely be other vendors there who aren't listed in this link, as well:

http://www.albanycomicbookshow.com/exhibitors.html

Coption 3:

Cough cough...a-hem, Garden State Comic fest is also around July/August and is close to NYC.

Metropolis Comics,will be set up there,among others.

I'll be there with a booth.....Dave O'Hare, the co-promoter of GSCF, actually put me on his vendor list too...whatta guy, us Irish America fenian gobes always have each other's backs :jokealert:

http://www.gardenstatecomicfest.com/exhibitors.html

We are just going around and around. Like all other businesspeople, scalpers charge the highest price they think they can given the competition they face.

Bottom line: Current system: People who are getting tickets at face value are 1) people who could be online for a couple of hours in the middle of the day and who got lucky; and 2) scalpers who -- apparently -- could game the system electronically

People who don't fall into those categories buy from scalpers at way over face value.

It would be more efficient for NYCC to raise the price to clear the market. As I mentioned a few posts ago, they may not feel that's in their best interest because some people would feel ripped off. Whether the negative fallout from this year's fiasco will change their minds remains to be seen.

Edited to add: Of course, there is a third category who get in via dealer passes and the like.

well they could do a registration system and have the pass linked to you with the possibility that they might check ID (they already have that, but it is not mandatory), but that would really stink as people routinely share and swap passes. i suppose the pass could be registered in multiple names, but then scalpers could beat the system.

I should also add that Eternal Con is sold out of vendor space, and has been, for at least a couple weeks.

The same applies to GSCF Con and Albany Con.

NYCC 2015 is NOT sold out....that should tell you something, right there.

To be fair to dealers who are setting up at NYCC 2015, I don;t mean to slam the show....I don't know exactly what a a one day pass to NYCC costs but it shouldn't be too high.

Buying a 3 day pass for $300 or so on stubhub , for a weekend pass to go to a comic show, would be insane.

Javits is HUGE (it's gotten bigger) and there's nothing to compare to it on the isle of mannyhatty (save perhaps Madison Square Garden). I got my Thursday passes in a nick of time. To me that's the best day anyway. I'm just happy that day hasn't been screwed up yet. I imagine in time I won't even be able to get one of those, there will be so many more people buying Thursday tickets. Until that day, I continue to go as long as I can get tickets for Thursday. The other days are so crowded, I won't miss not being there.

Glad Thursday is a good day to go, cause that is all I have!

Hoping to find a way into Friday as well, but we will see.

Mark my word Fridays will sell almost at $75-85 days before the show. Those will be easy to get. It's those darn Saturdays that are very tough to get, and you probably will break the $115-$135 mark. I've gotten lucky on Craigslist too, although people are trying to kill you there too.

I am wild, and like with concerts I go to (even though it's been a long time), I wait till a week beforehand. Guaranteed cheaper.

There are 3 solid alternatives to this (con) vention, all of which take place in June/July and are either in or around NY.

Option 1:

Eternal Con in Mid June.

It's run by Frank , who is Mike Carbo's partner with WinterCon so you know that Frank knows how to promote a shoow and neither Frank nor Mike gouges attendees on redonkulously high admission prices.

Eternal Con has THREE floors of vendors, I'm sure there will be solid silver/gold dealers there.EternalCon's vendor list hasn't been updated in a while either b/c I booked/paid for a table there over a month ago and my name isn't on the vendor list.Here's his (not) updated vendor list anyway:

Option 2:

If you're father out, there's Albany Comic Con the first weekend of June, which is run by the Belskis Brothers.

I know those 2 cats from back in the day before they moved their shop from south jersey to Albany.Good guys, who always had a decent selection of golden age books, fairly priced.

John Belskis has either a complete run, or near complete run of Timely Captain America in his personal collection and I know he brings in good dealers to his shows.

I'll be there with two tables (not that I have a whole lotta $1000 silver/gold books but anyway....and cough cough, John didn't put me onto his vendor list either, despite booking for 2 tables over a month ago so there will likely be other vendors there who aren't listed in this link, as well:

Coption 3:

Cough cough...a-hem, Garden State Comic fest is also around July/August and is close to NYC.

I'll be there with a booth.....Dave O'Hare, the co-promoter of GSCF, actually put me on his vendor list too...whatta guy, us Irish America fenian gobes always have each other's backs :jokealert:

it's not like there is a shortage of local shows to go to, but none of these shows are going to have the "other" stuff some people like to do over the course of 3-4 days beyond buying comics and OA. frankly, my kid spends a full day wandering the non-comic areas and he took home a huge haul of cool free stuff last year (minecraft books, lego star wars books, tons of legos, etc.), there are panels (which are kind of nuts) and a zillion artists. my kid has no interest in going to a straight up comic con (and he likes reading comics), but he gets excited about NYCC.

yes, if your sole purpose is to hunt for comics then NYCC and SDCC are not worth the hassle.

So if scalpers are automatically selling tickets at the absolute highest price anyone would buy at, why is NYCC not charging more themselves?

You also can't ignore the question of how much of a hit to margin would scalpers be willing to take. You can't just assume it is zero.

And all of this doesn't mean I think it is right or how it should work. I am just questioning the impact of NYCC raising prices.

eternal con says you can pay for a table via paypal but that it must be marked as a gift! tisk tisk!

That was fine with me.I opted for the "friends&family" option on Paypal so neither Frank nor myself had to pay Paypal their standard 3% vig.

FYI, the promoters of the Boston and CT cons simply charged vendors an additional 3%, instead of requesting gift payments.

I'd rather see $9 per table go towards the promoter, than Paypal, any day of the week.They make plenty of money via eBay sales, I won't lose any sleep on not lining Paypal's coffers, with every transaction I make.

Option 1:

Eternal Con in Mid June.

Option 2:

Coption 3:

it's not like there is a shortage of local shows to go to, but none of these shows are going to have the "other" stuff some people like to do over the course of 3-4 days beyond buying comics and OA. frankly, my kid spends a full day wandering the non-comic areas and he took home a huge haul of cool free stuff last year (minecraft books, lego star wars books, tons of legos, etc.), there are panels (which are kind of nuts) and a zillion artists. my kid has no interest in going to a straight up comic con (and he likes reading comics), but he gets excited about NYCC.

yes, if your sole purpose is to hunt for comics then NYCC and SDCC are not worth the hassle.

I wouldn;t think to call Eternal Con, nor GSCF, "smaller shows".

I have never done GSCF but I know for a fact that Eternal Con is nothing like a straight up comic con.

The Albany promoters have a seperate show for toys/comics, their June show will be a straight up comic con.

My secondary point is that I know all of the promoters of these 3 shows personally and I know that they *do their job* when it comes to proper promotion of the shows, location and a million other things that a lot of promoters skimp on or just suck at.

NYCC/Reed Pop does not seem to be all that vendor, nor attendee, friendly.

I know that a lot of vendors took a beating in sales at the 2014 NYCC, as well.

I don't mind paying for a higher priced ticket, or even registering for it. Would I like to share passes, sure - but I would rather that I get to go to the show first and foremost.

What gets me pissed is that I am not able to buy a ticket because the scalpers snatch all them up and the immediate mark-up is 300% in many cases. The show, artists, exhibitors and dealers should be getting the money - NOT scalpers or in many cases scalping companies...

I should also add that Eternal Con is sold out of vendor space, and has been, for at least a couple weeks.

The same applies to GSCF Con and Albany Con.

NYCC 2015 is NOT sold out....that should tell you something, right there.

To be fair to dealers who are setting up at NYCC 2015, I don;t mean to slam the show....I don't know exactly what a a one day pass to NYCC costs but it shouldn't be too high.

Buying a 3 day pass for $300 or so on stubhub , for a weekend pass to go to a comic show, would be insane.

I went to Eternal Con in 2013 at the Cradle of Aviation in Uniondale. It was an easy pass for 2014. Maybe it improved? It's only about twenty miles away and I still skipped it last year.

As far as raising the prices goes? I already do not see the point in paying the regular fee they want for a four day pass. The panels at NYCC get crowded very quickly. I skip many of them. I turn comic con into a four day shopping experience and like to check out the artists and their artwork. If they raise the prices, I might as well wait for the books and art to show up on auction sites.

There's no venue in NYC that would be a viable alternative. This past convention they actually expanded the space they were using and now I think they've maxed out how many tickets they can sell.

Last year I bought a few extra tickets in case friends and family wanted to go. Once I found all the takers I could, I still had a few extras and put them in an eBay auction a couple weeks before the con with a minimum that covered my costs and my anticipated fees. They ended up selling for not much more than that. So my advice for those that want to go, missed getting tickets, and don't want to pay an exorbitant amount to a scalper, would be to wait until very close to the show, because you should be able to get a ticket at a reasonable price. (I imagine by then that scalpers will lower their prices to they're not losing with an unsold ticket.) That's not easy for people that are out of town, I understand, but if you're close or have flexible travel and accommodation possibilities it could work.