• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2015 - Say it ain't so! Why can't more people go?

73 posts in this topic

"it's not like there is a shortage of local shows to go to, but none of these shows are going to have the "other" stuff some people like to do over the course of 3-4 days beyond buying comics and OA. frankly, my kid spends a full day wandering the non-comic areas and he took home a huge haul of cool free stuff last year (minecraft books, lego star wars books, tons of legos, etc.), there are panels (which are kind of nuts) and a zillion artists. my kid has no interest in going to a straight up comic con (and he likes reading comics), but he gets excited about NYCC.

yes, if your sole purpose is to hunt for comics then NYCC and SDCC are not worth the hassle.

I wouldn;t think to call Eternal Con, nor GSCF, "smaller shows".

I have never done GSCF but I know for a fact that Eternal Con is nothing like a straight up comic con."

Carbo's shows on the lower levels of the Penn hotel were pretty big too, I am guessing at east the 7000 visitors eternal con had, in NYC some of the "local shows" are the size of the annual show for some cities. But it's just not the same as the NYCC experience (and I am guessing NYCC is just not quite the same as SDCC, which I would like to do once in my life because i like san diego), sorry. And I doubt many folks are schlepping in by plane for Eternal Con or Albany or any of those. It's not an "either", no reason a local from within 3 or so hours can't do both.

eternal con says you can pay for a table via paypal but that it must be marked as a gift! tisk tisk!

That was fine with me.I opted for the "friends&family" option on Paypal so neither Frank nor myself had to pay Paypal their standard 3% vig.

FYI, the promoters of the Boston and CT cons simply charged vendors an additional 3%, instead of requesting gift payments.

I'd rather see $9 per table go towards the promoter, than Paypal, any day of the week.They make plenty of money via eBay sales, I won't lose any sleep on not lining Paypal's coffers, with every transaction I make.

there is someone here who rants and raves about that. i don't care either.

the scalpers on sunday seemed pretty desperate. if you're local i think you can get sunday for face value. obviously not worth schlepping in from too far in the hope you can buy this way.

the scalpers on sunday seemed pretty desperate. if you're local i think you can get sunday for face value. obviously not worth schlepping in from too far in the hope you can buy this way.

I am coming from Ohio and leaving on Sunday evening. Hopefully your strategy will work as a last ditch effort to go a second day (I have Thursday tickets, but I am arriving that day and will only catch the last 3-4 hours of the show).

Thanks for the advice!

I am coming from Ohio and leaving on Sunday evening. Hopefully your strategy will work as a last ditch effort to go a second day (I have Thursday tickets, but I am arriving that day and will only catch the last 3-4 hours of the show).

Thanks for the advice!

Keep an eye on Stub-Hub a couple of weeks out (after they have started mailing tickets but far enough ahead that you can still get them through the mail from the reseller). You may be able to get a Friday one-day (if that's all you need) fairly cheap. A Saturday one-day will probably run you more.

Thanks for the advice!

Keep an eye on Stub-Hub a couple of weeks out (after they have started mailing tickets but far enough ahead that you can still get them through the mail from the reseller). You may be able to get a Friday one-day (if that's all you need) fairly cheap. A Saturday one-day will probably run you more.

Appreciate it! I just want to go one more day (Friday or Saturday will do). Honestly I will shop comics on Thursday and spend the rest of the time perusing the artists, maybe get something commissioned and check out the attractions.

Just three years ago I was able to walk into midtown and pick up a 4 day pass with no problem. Now? Impossible. Ended up securing two Sunday passes (for me and my nephew) and was so disapointed I couldn't get a 3 day or a Saturday.

Stupid cos players is who I blame. Not the Spider-Man ones but the Japanese anime ones are odd. No judgement zone here just saying.

Just three years ago I was able to walk into midtown and pick up a 4 day pass with no problem. Now? Impossible. Ended up securing two Sunday passes (for me and my nephew) and was so disapointed I couldn't get a 3 day or a Saturday.

Stupid cos players is who I blame. Not the Spider-Man ones but the Japanese anime ones are odd. No judgement zone here just saying.

I don't think no judgement means what you think it means.

Like last year I was able to score tickets. I sold some last year to boardies since I had extra. The biggest thing is systems like the one used to buy tickets will always win out to people with low latency internet connections.

I scored VIP tickets, 4 days tickets and kids passes because you know people will want them. But I also do attend the convention and love it ever since my first one last year. But I can't deny that I do resell extra tickets to pay for part of my trip. No lie.

Like last year I was able to score tickets. I sold some last year to boardies since I had extra. The biggest thing is systems like the one used to buy tickets will always win out to people with low latency internet connections.

I scored VIP tickets, 4 days tickets and kids passes because you know people will want them. But I also do attend the convention and love it ever since my first one last year. But I can't deny that I do resell extra tickets to pay for part of my trip. No lie.

Feel free to sell me a Friday or Saturday ticket to help fund that trip!