• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Image Scraps Retailer Exclusive Comics, For Exclusive TPBs

137 posts in this topic

It is better for your finances to have 40% off your pull list than 20% off.

Much of what I brought up about online retailers are reasons people don't go to LCS.

It supports my argument: variants brought more people to the LCS.

Do you not pay for shipping? Seems like a low percentage on a pull list.

It is better for your finances to have 40% off your pull list than 20% off.

Much of what I brought up about online retailers are reasons people don't go to LCS.

It supports my argument: variants brought more people to the LCS.

Do you not pay for shipping? Seems like a low percentage on a pull list.

I get 30% off, free bags, free boards, free shipping.

Others get better rates from DCBS, but I've had such great success with Impulse Creations, my pull list will remain there.

Also, how does a LCS shelf help with a comic book's condition?

Very simple because I'm picking out the comics myself. If I go throught a stack of say Walking Dead #140 I will only pick out the 9.8 candidates. If I order 5 copies of WD #140 from an on line service I would be lucky to get one that would grade at 9.8.

Seriously sir I don't understand how you don't understand this. The only way there is to get only 9.8 candidates from new issues is to examine and pick out the copies yourself. If you have them sent to you from an on line service that won't happen.

Question: for the people in this thread that are arguing you can get comics in better condition at an LCS, have you ever received comics from DCBS, as revivedrevival has?

I used to get my comics locally, and spent probably 30 minutes every week picking out 9.8 candidates. I now get my comics from DCBS, and the vast majority of my comics arrive in 9.8 condition. While I may have to pay for shipping, that cost is more than made up by the larger discount that DCBS provides. Additionally, there are the added benefits of the comics being delivered right to my door and the time I save for not having to screen for 9.8s.

I'll also say that DCBS has never messed-up my pull list; when I order a comic, I get it. I cannot say that for any of the LCS that I have used for subscriptions over the past 25 years.

If everything was equal, if my LCS offered discounts close to DCBS, if the comics at my LCS were in the same condition from DCBS, then I would probably be more likely to patronize my LCS. However, all things are not equal and I can read more comics for less by using DCBS.

Question: for the people in this thread that are arguing you can get comics in better condition at an LCS, have you ever received comics from DCBS, as revivedrevival has?

I used to get my comics locally, and spent probably 30 minutes every week picking out 9.8 candidates. I now get my comics from DCBS, and the vast majority of my comics arrive in 9.8 condition. While I may have to pay for shipping, that cost is more than made up by the larger discount that DCBS provides. Additionally, there are the added benefits of the comics being delivered right to my door and the time I save for not having to screen for 9.8s.

I'll also say that DCBS has never messed-up my pull list; when I order a comic, I get it. I cannot say that for any of the LCS that I have used for subscriptions over the past 25 years.

If everything was equal, if my LCS offered discounts close to DCBS, if the comics at my LCS were in the same condition from DCBS, then I would probably be more likely to patronize my LCS. However, all things are not equal and I can read more comics for less by using DCBS.

#truth

#truth

If you have a big LCS, with volume ordered for the shelves, it's easy to pick out nice books. For smaller LCSs, you may be at the mercy of a small selection.

I like LCS shopping, and am always leery of S+H mishaps, but if DCBS is as good as stated, I'm impressed.

PS. I'll have to give Long Cold Winter a listen. It's been a long time.

Late to the party, but interesting announcement.

Image is probably correct in its data, but there's probably an ulterior motive for Image's announcement: Image's pocketbook.

At the Image panel @ WonderCon, ES stated that Image only makes a flat fee off every issue published. However, they take a percentage off all TPB sales (which is why Image almost exclusively sells TPBs at conventions). By only allowing TPB retailer exclusives, Image will now take percentages off the lucrative exclusives pie.

#truth

Maybe it comes down to whether you have a good or bad LCS. I've tried a few methods and nothing beats a good LCS. I don't see a time saver. I see an opportunity to browse other titles.

Question: for the people in this thread that are arguing you can get comics in better condition at an LCS, have you ever received comics from DCBS, as revivedrevival has

I contacted them and asked them if they could pull 9.8 candidates for me and I would be happy to pay a premium but they said they could not do that. They said they could guarantee me great customer service and cheap prices but the condition of my comics would be in the NM range.

I understand that some people like ordering from on line services and I have no problem with that. I only replied in this post because one of the posters claimed people who purchase comics at a LCS are not using their heads. IMO I would rather purchase my comics at my LCS because I like helping out a comic business plus I like going into the store and talking with people. Plus like I said it's the only way I can guarantee that I will only purchase 9.8 candidates since I'm picking the issues out myself.

IMO there's more to collecting then just ordering new comics on line to save some money. I have always loved going to my LCS. Some of my best moments were spent there when I used to go with my brother and dad back in the 70's. Today I still enjoy going and I would not trade those moments for a 20% discount.

No one should guarantee bulk books all to be 9.8 unless they are slabbed already

I said before jokingly but still, the best of both worlds. I order bulk from DCBS. I also go to my lcs every Wednesday.

The beauty of this all, we all get to choose what we want and like. The way I do things may not be how you do. It's all good.

#truth

Maybe it comes down to whether you have a good or bad LCS. I've tried a few methods and nothing beats a good LCS. I don't see a time saver. I see an opportunity to browse other titles.

I love going to a comic store for just that reason: to browse for titles, or to look thru back issues. Although, I think it can be said that you can browse for titles just as easily on an online store. Browsing through the New Releases section on mycomicshop.com is really easy, and they get most every title.

I wouldn't call my LCS bad, but they just don't meet my needs. It also comes down to preferences. I noticed that a lot of people in this thread that advocate LCSs mention that they like interacting with employees/customers. I place no value in doing this lol

Similar to Awax, I get my comics online but when I get the itch to be in a store, I go to my LCSs.

Late to the party, but interesting announcement.

Image is probably correct in its data, but there's probably an ulterior motive for Image's announcement: Image's pocketbook.

At the Image panel @ WonderCon, ES stated that Image only makes a flat fee off every issue published. However, they take a percentage off all TPB sales (which is why Image almost exclusively sells TPBs at conventions). By only allowing TPB retailer exclusives, Image will now take percentages off the lucrative exclusives pie.

This probably explains the change more than anything.

Question: for the people in this thread that are arguing you can get comics in better condition at an LCS, have you ever received comics from DCBS, as revivedrevival has

I contacted them and asked them if they could pull 9.8 candidates for me and I would be happy to pay a premium but they said they could not do that. They said they could guarantee me great customer service and cheap prices but the condition of my comics would be in the NM range.

I understand that some people like ordering from on line services and I have no problem with that. I only replied in this post because one of the posters claimed people who purchase comics at a LCS are not using their heads. IMO I would rather purchase my comics at my LCS because I like helping out a comic business plus I like going into the store and talking with people. Plus like I said it's the only way I can guarantee that I will only purchase 9.8 candidates since I'm picking the issues out myself.

IMO there's more to collecting then just ordering new comics on line to save some money. I have always loved going to my LCS. Some of my best moments were spent there when I used to go with my brother and dad back in the 70's. Today I still enjoy going and I would not trade those moments for a 20% discount.

:applause:

Again bulk orders can and do get discount from their LCSs, but you have to ask.

Most efficiently run LCS's wont offer a discount until you order decently or a long term paying customer.(Some order and never pay.) Weekly orders are their bread and butter until they figure out back issue sales and some never do.

Again bulk orders can and do get discount from their LCSs, but you have to ask.

I have mentioned this a couple of times but if you bulk order from your LCS you won't be getting only 9.8 candidates. The majority of the copies at my LCS would grade between 9.0 -9.4. This is why I like to pick out the copies myself. I don't care if I pay cover price.

It would be great if someone offered a "raw" 9.8 service but until that day happens the only way to get only 9.8 candidates is to pick out the copies yourself. Getting a pull from your LCS or ordering on line won't get it done.