• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Image Scraps Retailer Exclusive Comics, For Exclusive TPBs

137 posts in this topic

Keep peddling those testimonials. (thumbs u

I liked the Bedlam Phantom covers way more than the standard ones because of Rossmo's art, but off the top of my head I can't name one Image Phantom variant that's a good long term, or even short term, flip.

Still, with any shop or program variant if I like the cover, and it's a title I'm buying, I'll pick one or two up for myself.

Larry's / Jetpack variant for The Humans was top notch

Sure, you might be able to point out specific exceptions, but I have learned more from the likes of Larry or Chuck more than your average boardie and much more than any board trolls

Chuck, Larry, etc. you might get some negative responses. But you have helped me immensely.

The Phantom Variant program and, not Larry but New England Comics*, have helped bring Five Ghosts and Revival to my attention. Sure, I haven't made a dime off of Revival but it's one of my favorite stories.

And don't even get me started on Five Ghosts. The story plus art. Crazy!

* I understand that Larry helped lead the program. Larry didn't bring the program to my attention. The LCS did. Larry (list not inclusive) helped me on these boards.

Edited / Added more I can easily manage my pull list via an online retailer for 30% off. Phantom variants got me into the LCS.

I liked the Bedlam Phantom covers way more than the standard ones because of Rossmo's art, but off the top of my head I can't name one Image Phantom variant that's a good long term, or even short term, flip.

Still, with any shop or program variant if I like the cover, and it's a title I'm buying, I'll pick one or two up for myself.

I remember the first four Revival ones selling high for a few months. It kind of all fell off here after all those people got damaged Helheim #1 shipments because they were just sent in flat rate envelopes without bags and boards or cardboard.

Wayward #1 B&W was the craziest short term flip. I don't know why so many people paid $50 fort that.

I remember the first four Revival ones selling high for a few months. It kind of all fell off here after all those people got damaged Helheim #1 shipments because they were just sent in flat rate envelopes without bags and boards or cardboard.

Wayward #1 B&W was the craziest short term flip. I don't know why so many people paid $50 fort that.

That Wayward cover was great but I prefer the color version. I had no idea it got to $50. I have plenty of Phantoms in my PC. My favorites are Spider-Gwen, Five Ghosts, Letter 44, and the Enormous Kaiju ( green cover ) variant. I also have quite a few Midtown, Ghost, Forbidden Planet, and EH! covers. My East of West, Five Ghosts, and Wytches collections would be smaller and less fun without them. I truly wish Larry could have done an East of West cover. Death vs the Ranger would have been wonderful.

I hear you about the cool covers.

You are being financially irresponsible for having a LCS manage your pull list.

You can get better prices from MidTown, Impulse Creations or DCBS.

Some of these variant programs brought more people to the LCS.

I order from Midtown months in advance. (shrug)

Maybe supporting a small business is more important to someone instead of saving 50-60 cents and a bag/board an issue? I wouldn't call that being financially irresponsible.

And without the people who are "financially irresponsible" you wouldn't have the back issue selection to flip on eBay when you see a post on BleedingCool or moderns heating up on eBay.

Maybe supporting a small business is more important to someone instead of saving 50-60 cents and a bag/board an issue? I wouldn't call that being financially irresponsible.

And without the people who are "financially irresponsible" you wouldn't have the back issue selection to flip on eBay when you see a post on BleedingCool or moderns heating up on eBay.

I am not speaking about a reader who only buys 2 to 3 issues a month.

If you read many books or speculate, you are idiotic if you purchase your books from the LCS. You are pouring your money down the drain paying cover price.

I have an online pull list. I like this move.

I think it's pretty clear; variants brought more folks to the LCS.

If you read many books or speculate, you are idiotic if you purchase your books from the LCS. You are pouring your money down the drain paying cover price.

I guess you are looking to live in a world where Amazon and few other conglomerates are the only ones left standing? Really "financially responsible" of you.

No one that has a pull list pay cover price and if they do, they should find a new place to have a pull list.

Yup, the phantom variant program and other like programs didn't bring in more people into the LCS.

And some online retailers don't give cheaper prices than LCS.

seh6p.gif

Note: I realize that LCS give 10 to 20% off for pull lists. My argument still remains the same.

Yup, the phantom variant program and other like programs didn't bring in more people into the LCS.

seh6p.gif

Note: I realize that LCS give 10 to 20% off for pull lists. My argument still remains the same.

What do you do when a back issue heats up and you can't buy it online? Are you financially irresponsible and go to a LCS that you don't support? What did you do on FCBD? #hypebeast

seh6p.gif

What do you do when a back issue heats up and you can't buy it online? Are you financially irresponsible and go to a LCS that you don't support? What did you do on FCBD? #hypebeast

Was my argument that people now have no reason to go to LCS?

Am I getting trolled? I thought it was obvious; the Phantom Variant program brought more folks to the LCS.

...data accumulated over the last year suggests these variants only serve to further feed the speculation market, artificially inflating first issue sales, and thereby doing little to positively affect a series’ longterm health.

And NOT offering retailer-exclusive variants will positively affect a series' longterm health how, exactly...?

For the sake of argument: If title A, which offers retailer exclusives, sells 20,000 copies of issue 1, and by issue 4 levels off at monthly sales of 8,000 copies...does this really indicate that the retailer exclusives did NOTHING to help the overall readership of the title? So...there were 12,000 or so retailer exclusives that were not read by a single person...? Isn't it also probable that there would be less than 8,000 readers if the total print run on issue 1 was only 10,000...? There might not be a direct 1 to 1 correlation of new readers when multiple covers are produced, but it only makes sense that the more copies that are out there, the more likely they are to be picked up and read. Not to mention the fact that the increased (inflated) print run of issue 1 results in a lot more money going directly to the creators.

While I understand that a person collecting all variant covers for any particular release is really still only (potentially) one reader, I DO think there is potential benefit to the long-term health of the book, simply by making the first issue so much more readily accessible. If there are 20,000 copies floating around out there, then there are also 20,000 copies that *could* be read. I don't understand the benefit of a lower print run if you want to get the book in as many hands as possible.

There is also no reason that the exclusive retailer TPB covers and exclusive retailer monthly covers can't mutually co-exist.

I thought the goal here was to sell books...?

seh6p.gif

It's so entertaining to watch a troll trying to make friends. :)

...data accumulated over the last year suggests these variants only serve to further feed the speculation market, artificially inflating first issue sales, and thereby doing little to positively affect a series’ longterm health.

And NOT offering retailer-exclusive variants will positively affect a series' longterm health how, exactly...?

For the sake of argument: If title A, which offers retailer exclusives, sells 20,000 copies of issue 1, and by issue 4 levels off at monthly sales of 8,000 copies...does this really indicate that the retailer exclusives did NOTHING to help the overall readership of the title? So...there were 12,000 or so retailer exclusives that were not read by a single person...? Isn't it also probable that there would be less than 8,000 readers if the total print run on issue 1 was only 10,000...? There might not be a direct 1 to 1 correlation of new readers when multiple covers are produced, but it only makes sense that the more copies that are out there, the more likely they are to be picked up and read. Not to mention the fact that the increased (inflated) print run of issue 1 results in a lot more money going directly to the creators.

While I understand that a person collecting all variant covers for any particular release is really still only (potentially) one reader, I DO think there is potential benefit to the long-term health of the book, simply by making the first issue so much more readily accessible. If there are 20,000 copies floating around out there, then there are also 20,000 copies that *could* be read. I don't understand the benefit of a lower print run if you want to get the book in as many hands as possible.

There is also no reason that the exclusive retailer TPB covers and exclusive retailer monthly covers can't mutually co-exist.

I thought the goal here was to sell books...?

So......following the logic.....why do you think there will be less books?

Doesn't heat on modern variants also bring attention to the series itself?

People wondering what the fuss is about, and then buying a copy themselves. Not necessarily a variant, but any copy.

Maybe my brain just doesn't compute the retail side of this stuff well, lol , but it seems like this would bring less new readers in than more.

Here on these forum's it may be what it seems like but... when I talk to readers about the 'price of Saga #1', they sort of act like I'm talking a different language.

And even here.... is that what we see? Or does the attention to a series die a fast death once the #1 is no longer 'selling', You'll have an occasional stragler who hopes that 'Hell Yeah' or whatever will catch on, but generally speaking, most books that manage to make it past a few issues are forgotten and seen as past opportunities.

To grow and build an audience like Walking Dead or Saga, it takes a readership, not speculation. Saga built despite it's minimal speculation because they didn't fan the flames with countless different variants (and got in on the one Phantom early)... and Walking Dead had a long lead in built entirely by word of mouth readership before it got crazy.

A very good point you make.

I remember the days when you would come to this modern forum section, and find out the reason why Walking Dead, Chew and Locke & Key were hot was because they were good stories to read, and they had built up loyal audiences.

It had nothing to do with having a hot variant number one.

My have times have changed in modern speculating these last 5 years! :facepalm:

And of all the Store Exclusive Variants sold, how many get read?

Typically I find that people buy those variants for 2 reasons.

1.) They like the title, and are supplementing the regular cover they purchased. Usually read the regular version.

2.) Speculating, and not reading it so that they can put "Unread" in the Ebay title.