• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom Cruise != Iron Man

50 posts in this topic

i don't love cruise or anything, but he might actually be a believable alcoholic super hero with lots of problems

"big" from sex and the city might not be bad. he did a decent job as an f-ed up homicide detective on law and order.

fat baldwin might have been ok 10 years ago.

You guys are being unfairly harsh on Tom Cruise.

His movies are generally good money makers, which means people are going to see the films. I understand that this may not equate to quaility film-making, but it does determine some amount of public popularity.

He has been nominated for 3 Academy Awards, and though he did not win, he was nominated. Which is a lot more than many esteemed actors have achieved.

He has been nominated for 6 Golden Globes, winning 3 of them. Not as prestigious as the Oscar, but a nice achievement nonetheless.

He has also been nominated and won many, many, many other awards and recognition.

Whether you like him or not, he has an impressive body of work.

Crusie's weird movies are an art form in amongst themselves!

Eyes Wide Shut // 9 out of 10

Magnolia // 8.5 out of 10

Vanilla Sky // 8.5 out of 10

Born on the Fourth of July  // 9 out of 10

and the The Color of Money was the best cinematography of the time period!!!

thumbsup2.gif

His movies are generally good money makers, which means people are going to see the films. I understand that this may not equate to quaility film-making, but it does determine some amount of public popularity.

He has been nominated for 3 Academy Awards, and though he did not win, he was nominated. Which is a lot more than many esteemed actors have achieved.

He has been nominated for 6 Golden Globes, winning 3 of them. Not as prestigious as the Oscar, but a nice achievement nonetheless.

He has also been nominated and won many, many, many other awards and recognition.

His movies are generally entertaining but I find him annoying and just a bad actor. As far as awards go there are so many these days that they really have little menaing. They are just another form of marketing that the old boys use to pump their movies, pat each other on the back and reward their favorites. Remember that Driving Miss Daisey beat out Goodfellas one year and I consider that to be probably one of the top 5 movies I have ever seen.

Now Cruise's ex-wife is a different story. Almost every movie she makes she is in, she's in the buff and getting giggy with it. grin.gifyay.gif

His movies are generally entertaining but I find him annoying and just a bad actor. As far as awards go there are so many these days that they really have little menaing. They are just another form of marketing that the old boys use to pump their movies, pat each other on the back and reward their favorites. Remember that Driving Miss Daisey beat out Goodfellas one year and I consider that to be probably one of the top 5 movies I have ever seen.

Now Cruise's ex-wife is a different story. Almost every movie she makes she is in, she's in the buff and getting giggy with it. grin.gifyay.gif

There are so many Academy Awards and Golden Globe Awards? As far as I know of, there aren't. Not sure what point you were making.

Just because what you like or don't like doesn't mean that has any weight in Hollywood. You may not like him or you think Goodfellas was better than Driving Miss Daisy, doesn't matter. Tom Cruise has a huge impact on Hollywood.

btw, I liked Goodfellas over DMD also. thumbsup2.gif

There are so many Academy Awards and Golden Globe Awards? As far as I know of, there aren't. Not sure what point you were making.

Just because what you like or don't like doesn't mean that has any weight in Hollywood. You may not like him or you think Goodfellas was better than Driving Miss Daisy, doesn't matter. Tom Cruise has a huge impact on Hollywood.

btw, I liked Goodfellas over DMD also.

Mr. Mapother's acting style - in my humble opinion - is typified in a scene from Minority Report: Anderton's just gotten word that he is being sought for FutureCrime and in a panic, he calls his mentor, old Claus Von Bulow...Mr. Von Bulow asks him who he has killed, and Mapother says - now a good memory is key here - "I don't know. Somebody. Crow."

now, on the surface, that might not mean much, but to me it was almost ephihanic. if that's even a word.

tom mapother is great at playing tom cruise. he's always there in every character, just under the surface.

to deny his star power, or his above-average ability would be, in rob_react's words, "idiotic." but i cannot see him any longer in any role other than "Tom Cruise, Movie Star."

shrug icon winkie thing here

I just meant that there seems to be a new award show on every second week and Cruise is a bad actor. Would he be a big draw on an Iron Man movie, of course, but would I rather see another actor take the role, for sure. How about that guy that almost was casted in Superman, Jim Cazieorsomthing(sp?).

I just meant that there seems to be a new award show on every second week and Cruise is a bad actor. Would he be a big draw on an Iron Man movie, of course, but would I rather see another actor take the role, for sure. How about that guy that almost was casted in Superman, Jim Cazieorsomthing(sp?).

Jim Caviezel? Was in Passion of the Christ as Jesus? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim Caviezel? Was in Passion of the Christ as Jesus? confused-smiley-013.gif

That's the guy, although I haven't seen that movie yet.

I don't think Tom Cruise is a bad actor at all. He may not be the most versatile actor and he may not be the best, but that doesn't automatically make him a "bad actor". He has been convincing in the roles he played. I enjoyed most of his movies, even his earlier ones. His latest role in Collateral was fantastic as he played the bad guy for the first time. Not to mention, the role of Anthony Stark does not seem like a far cry from roles he has played in before. I guess it is just a matter of taste. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't think Tom Cruise is a bad actor at all. He may not be the most versatile actor and he may not be the best, but that doesn't automatically make him a "bad actor". He has been convincing in the roles he played. I enjoyed most of his movies, even his earlier ones. His latest role in Collateral was fantastic as he played the bad guy for the first time. Not to mention, the role of Anthony Stark does not seem like a far cry from roles he has played in before. I guess it is just a matter of taste. confused-smiley-013.gif

Exactly. thumbsup2.gif

The Tom Cruise formula of fame:

1. Be the best person ever at the thing you are doing

2. Operate some sort of machine/ job where #1 applies

3. Meet total hot babe that plays your love interest for obligatory sex scene

4. Have friend/ associate that will die in the movie

5. Ensure "kickin" soundtrack to boost revenues

6. Follow simple story line Of: Getting introduced in movie as being cool guy / best at the task/job, having some moderate success at said task/job to meet girl, have friend/associate die doing said task/job so that you might lose girl and you may question yourself as to whether you are infact said best guy ever at the task/job, defeat "villain" in movie (** important note that self doubt can be the villain! )win back the girl and reclaim number 1 spot of ubercool.

7.repeat steps 1-6 ad nauseum in every movie and make millions

Doin all this you can be:

an Airplane pilot!

Race Car driver!

Super spy guy!

Angst ridden Police chief!

It never ends..

Artboy99

amazingly this is the same movie profile as Steven Segal.....where did it all go wrong...

27_laughing.gif

what he said........ thumbsup2.gif

i liked the last samurai, top gun, a few good men, the color of money, risky business, collateral, jerry maguire, etc. i found them to be genuinely entertaining movies. i'm not sayiny TC was always the reason why, but he did have the lead/co-lead role in all of those.

i now use Top Gun as my Home Theater demo movie, replacing Apocalypse Now.

some of those dogfights and aircraft carrier scenes just kick ....... thumbsup2.gif