• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom Cruise != Iron Man

50 posts in this topic

SciFi Wire

Cruise Ices Iron Man

Tom Cruise told SCI FI Wire that he has pulled out of a proposed Iron Man movie. "It's not happening. Not with me," Cruise told reporters during a break in filming on the set of his current movie, War of the Worlds, in Piru, Calif. "They ... came to me at a certain point, and you know, when I do something, I want to do it right. And, you know, if I commit to something, it has to be done in a way that I know it's going to be something special. And that ... as it was lining up, it just didn't feel to me like it was going to work."

Cruise had been attached to the on-again, off-again film adaptation of the Marvel Comics series. But he said that he's no longer involved. "I need to be able to make decisions and make the film as great as it can be, and it just didn't go down that road that way," he said. He added: "I've never just made a movie to make a movie. I've always made them because I really was interested in the story. I wanted to make that kind of picture and see what it would take, and it was an adventure for me. For that, it just wasn't panning out. So far. You know, as of yet."

Wonder who they're going to cast...

I think Tom Cruise could have pulled off a somewhat convincing Tony Stark... confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm less distressed that he is no longer Iron Man than I am about the reasons he decided to leave the project. Generally with Tom Cruise attached you are guaranteed a decent flick, him leaving makes me think the movie is not headed to decency.

I'm less distressed that he is no longer Iron Man than I am about the reasons he decided to leave the project. Generally with Tom Cruise attached you are guaranteed a decent flick, him leaving makes me think the movie is not headed to decency.

I share the same sentiments. His statements and reasoning are somewhat vague, usually indicative of the actor thinking that the movie sucks. He probably doesn't want to "Ben Affleck" his career with great roles but crappy scripts.

Cary Elwes would make a great Tony Stark, but there's no way he's going to carry a movie not written by William Goldman.

Val Kilmer would work too, if someone can just wipe that smirk off his face

I don't want to make it sound like Stan Lee is a genius, because he isn't--he just applied standard elements of solid fiction to comics, particularly likable characters that the reader could identify with. However, Avi Arad has only been able to land two directors who have been able to take Stan's focus on character and translate it to the big screen--Sam Raimi, and to a lesser extent, Bryan Singer. Mark Steven Johnson did it third-best with Daredevil, although character took a close-but-not-quite back-seat to action in that film. For Rob Bowman (Elektra) and David Goyer (Blade 3), believable characters you could identify with seem to be a concept they're familiar with but aren't as fond of as they are non-stop action. I'm not optimistic that Tim Story isn't going to take Fantastic Four down the same path to mediocrity that Bowan and Goyer did by letting character take a back seat to special effects. frown.gif

Tony Stark is fairly tough to pull off. Tom Cruise may just be arrogant, because he often comes off that way and has always played characters who are like that, and he's become used to working with the best directors in the world over the last few years (Spielberg, Kubrick, Cameron Crowe, De Palma, John Woo) which may have gone to his head. However, I agree with some of the others in the thread--he may be seeing something in the direction Avi Arad and Nick Cassavetes are taking the film that he has a good reason not to like. crazy.gif I definitely trust his ability to assess that more than I do Avi Arad's (how did he let Elektra become the film that it did? confused.gifconfused.gif )

It looks like Nick Cassavetes is yet ANOTHER inexperienced director of a Marvel film. However, on the plus side, it looks like he's had a lot of dramatic acting experience: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001024/

The Tom Cruise formula of fame:

1. Be the best person ever at the thing you are doing

2. Operate some sort of machine/ job where #1 applies

3. Meet total hot babe that plays your love interest for obligatory sex scene

4. Have friend/ associate that will die in the movie

5. Ensure "kickin" soundtrack to boost revenues

6. Follow simple story line Of: Getting introduced in movie as being cool guy / best at the task/job, having some moderate success at said task/job to meet girl, have friend/associate die doing said task/job so that you might lose girl and you may question yourself as to whether you are infact said best guy ever at the task/job, defeat "villain" in movie (** important note that self doubt can be the villain! )win back the girl and reclaim number 1 spot of ubercool.

7.repeat steps 1-6 ad nauseum in every movie and make millions

Doin all this you can be:

an Airplane pilot!

Race Car driver!

Super spy guy!

Angst ridden Police chief!

It never ends..

Artboy99

listen, tom cruise plays tom cruise better than anyone else could dream of playing tom cruise. there is no tom cruise but tom cruise, and the sooner you realise this the better

The Tom Cruise formula of fame:

1. Be the best person ever at the thing you are doing

2. Operate some sort of machine/ job where #1 applies

3. Meet total hot babe that plays your love interest for obligatory sex scene

4. Have friend/ associate that will die in the movie

5. Ensure "kickin" soundtrack to boost revenues

6. Follow simple story line Of: Getting introduced in movie as being cool guy / best at the task/job, having some moderate success at said task/job to meet girl, have friend/associate die doing said task/job so that you might lose girl and you may question yourself as to whether you are infact said best guy ever at the task/job, defeat "villain" in movie (** important note that self doubt can be the villain! )win back the girl and reclaim number 1 spot of ubercool.

7.repeat steps 1-6 ad nauseum in every movie and make millions

Doin all this you can be:

an Airplane pilot!

Race Car driver!

Super spy guy!

Angst ridden Police chief!

It never ends..

Artboy99

Don't forget 8. Have at least two scenecs in every movie where you are yelling like a jackarse. "Show me the money", "I want the truth", I could go on, and on and on but you know what I mean. 27_laughing.gif