• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Divinity - first new title character from Valiant gets its own CGC forum topic

231 posts in this topic

Searching the CGC Forum, there isn't a topic with Divinity in the title... so here we go...

divinity_profile.png

Divinity is a four-issue miniseries from Valiant introducing a completely new character (not from the 1990s Valiant) and the first new Valiant title.

Having no history in the Valiant universe, the orders for Divinity #1 were pretty low, with 12,079 reported by Comichron for February 2015 sales.

The 14,000 non-incentive copies estimated above includes foreign sales and publisher copies.

Despite being a four-issue miniseries, there are plans to use Divinity in the Valiant universe beyond these four issues.

The miniseries is actually an "upgrade" for the introduction of Divinity because the four issues were originally an arc inside the Unity title.

Regular cover (first printing, about 8,500 copies):

1a.jpg

First printing has RED TRIANGLE ON LOWER LEFT

Second printing has ORANGE TRIANGLE

Third printing has BLUE TRIANGLE

Fourth printing has PURPLE TRIANGLE

Fifth printing has GREEN TRIANGLE

(Second through fifth printings are likely 1,200 to 2,500 copies each, released each month after February)

Cover B (first printing, non-incentive, about 3,500 copies):

1b.jpg

Blank Cover (first printing, non-incentive, about 2,000 copies):

div1blank.JPG

1:10 Cover (first printing, about 1,400 copies):

1e.jpg

1:20 Cover (first printing, about 700 copies):

DIVINITY_001_VARIANT_DESIGN.jpg

1:40 Cover (first printing, about 350 copies):

DIVINITY_001_VARIANT_LAROSA.jpg

Divinity #1 has gone to a (Valiant record) fifth printing, announced May 18, 2015.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/18/prints-charming-divinity-1-goes-to-fifth-printing-arcadia-1-goes-to-second/

So what is the consensus on the first appearance? I think Timewalker 1 is more of a preview than first appearance. What does everyone else think ???

The Valiant books of the prior month would have had the same preview pages, but there's even a Valiant Next Preview 2015 stand-alone book that has some Divinity preview (December 2014).

The first appearance, non-preview, is Divinity #1. Any earlier preview pages were repeated in Divinity #1. Valiant considers the first appearance as Divinity #1 in the page scan above.

So what is the consensus on the first appearance? I think Timewalker 1 is more of a preview than first appearance. What does everyone else think ???

The Valiant books of the prior month would have had the same preview pages, but there's even a Valiant Next Preview 2015 stand-alone book that has some Divinity preview (December 2014).

The first appearance, non-preview, is Divinity #1. Any earlier preview pages were repeated in Divinity #1. Valiant considers the first appearance as Divinity #1 in the page scan above.

Quote, that is what I was thinking, but so many folks are trying to pass off timewalker 1 as a first appearance. Either way, I like Divinity.

Divinity #1 has gone to a (Valiant record) fifth printing, announced May 18, 2015.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/18/prints-charming-divinity-1-goes-to-fifth-printing-arcadia-1-goes-to-second/

I think VEI considers the Dollar Debuts a printing, so Rai #1 had 5 as well.

The One Dollar Debuts weren't full-priced issues. They're the classic definition of a later reprint, rather than a new printing that immediately follows a sold-out prior printing.

In other words, they weren't an announcement about a new printing with a new solicitation... but if they counted X-O #1 would be first. (thumbs u

Mmmmmm. Divinity.

155415.jpg

That #3 variant (1:20) might have some potential as well... there are probably around 500 copies.

Divinity #3 is the first appearance of the two other cosmonauts shown and mentioned on the Divinity info page in the first post.

Those two went further into "the unknown" than Divinity (Abram), so their return... someday... could be of great importance. hm

I have ordered #1-3 (partially in reprints) and can’t wait to read it, as it intrigues me (and I also like the cover art a lot). :)

I am ashamed to tell valiantman but although I bought all the Valiants up to Unity at the time I never read them (except the first Magnus issues and some spare ones) and then sold them for about $1 each a pair of years ago… :blush:

But I was a big Defiant fan, if that counts something. I still have at least a pair of full runs of Plasm and Dark Dominion (my favorite title) from the time. lol

Kicking myself for not buying the 1:40 a month ago. I love reading this and Imperium.

YES!!! I think the top two VEI books right now are Divinity and Imperium! But all the series are good in their own way. And I am sure glad I got a copy of the #1 1:40 variant from Midtown about a month ago. I can't believe there are only 350 copies!

I have ordered #1-3 (partially in reprints) and can’t wait to read it, as it intrigues me (and I also like the cover art a lot). :)

I am ashamed to tell valiantman but although I bought all the Valiants up to Unity at the time I never read them (except the first Magnus issues and some spare ones) and then sold them for about $1 each a pair of years ago… :blush:

:foryou:

But I was a big Defiant fan, if that counts something. I still have at least a pair of full runs of Plasm and Dark Dominion (my favorite title) from the time. lol

How big of a Defiant fan? This big?

:whee:

Mmmmmm. Divinity.

155415.jpg

That #3 variant (1:20) might have some potential as well... there are probably around 500 copies.

Divinity #3 is the first appearance of the two other cosmonauts shown and mentioned on the Divinity info page in the first post.

Those two went further into "the unknown" than Divinity (Abram), so their return... someday... could be of great importance. hm

It was my impression the other two cosmonauts died and that Divinity was possessed by something. But I guess the possibility exists for the other two to come back at some point. I wonder if Kindt and VEI have even considered that?

Divinity #3 sold more copies than Divinity #2 according to the April sales numbers released today on Comichron.com

It wasn't by much... but it's pretty unusual for any #3 to outsell #2, right? :popcorn:

Mmmmmm. Divinity.

155415.jpg

It was my impression the other two cosmonauts died and that Divinity was possessed by something. But I guess the possibility exists for the other two to come back at some point. I wonder if Kindt and VEI have even considered that?

There's not much purpose in having three cosmonauts if they were just going to use one... Kindt and VEI have a plan... whether it's in the next issue or three years from now... (shrug):grin:

The other two "moved on" further into the unknown, while Abram (Divinity) turned back.

Mmmmmm. Divinity.

155415.jpg

There's not much purpose in having three cosmonauts if they were just going to use one... Kindt and VEI have a plan... whether it's in the next issue or three years from now... (shrug):grin:

The other two "moved on" further into the unknown, while Abram (Divinity) turned back.

Well I say they're DEAD!!! :mad:

Haha, just teasing with ya. I definitely look forward to whatever they have planned!

I loved the first 1.5 issues of this book. It was the first Valiant book I've ever bought. As soon as I realized it tied into the larger Valiant universe I dropped it. I like the character and I love Matt Kindt, but I've got no interest in the Valiant universe. If this would have been a stand alone series I would have bought it for a long time to come. Did anyone else feel this way or no?

I loved the first 1.5 issues of this book. It was the first Valiant book I've ever bought. As soon as I realized it tied into the larger Valiant universe I dropped it. I like the character and I love Matt Kindt, but I've got no interest in the Valiant universe. If this would have been a stand alone series I would have bought it for a long time to come. Did anyone else feel this way or no?

lol

That's like saying, "when I realized that Hershey is all about chocolate, I quit eating it."

Valiant is a connected universe. Everything else... isn't. (thumbs u