• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simon Says Comic Films/Books Making Us Dumb And Childlish

31 posts in this topic

IDK who Simon Pegg is. I can't say I've ever seen a movie with him in it.

Either way, he is entitled to his opinion, even if it does make him look like a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces.

-slym

He plays Scotty in the new Star Trek series.

That's all I know him for, and I had to look it up, at that.

“I sometimes feel like I miss grown-up things."

Really? You get ~16 years as a child. The rest is pretty much doing "grown up things". Has any adult ever said this before? I've heard plenty of the opposite. Like the saying, you may have to grow old, but you don't have to grow up.

Adults have to do their same routine everyday and live in the real world. Who doesn't want an escape from that in these movies every now and then?

People with these viewpoints seems to end up the most miserable.

Simon Pegg: 'comic book films are dumbing us down'

Simon Pegg is 'retiring from geekdom' to become a serious actor and says comic book films are 'taking our focus away from real-world issues'

Comic book superhero films are “infantilising” the adult population, according to Simon Pegg.

Adults should be watching challenging fare that asks “moral questions”, said Pegg, who has announced that he wants to “retire from geekdom” and take his career in a more serious direction.

“Before Star Wars, the films that were box office hits were The Godfather, Taxi Driver, Bonnie and Clyde and The French Connection – gritty, amoral art movies. Then suddenly the onus switched over to spectacle and everything changed.

“Now, I don’t know if that is a good thing. Obviously I’m very much a self-confessed fan of science fiction and genre cinema. But part of me looks at society as it is now and just thinks we’ve been infantilised by our own taste.

“Now we’re essentially all consuming very childish things – comic books, superheroes. Adults are watching this stuff, and taking it seriously!

“It is a kind of dumbing down in a way, because it’s taking our focus away from real-world issues.”

“Films used to be about challenging, emotional journeys or moral questions that might make you walk away and re-evaluate how you felt about... whatever. Now we’re walking out of the cinema really not thinking about anything, other than the fact that the Hulk had a fight with a robot.”

Pegg, whose 2010 autobiography was called Nerd Do Well, said he did enjoy those films but “I sometimes feel like I miss grown-up things. And I honestly thought the other day that I’m gonna retire from geekdom. I’ve become the poster child for that generation, and it’s not necessarily something I particularly want to be.

“I’d quite like to go off and do some serious acting.”

That includes his new role, as a romantic lead in the soon-to-be-released Man Up, and an appearance opposite Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. He is also co-writing the new Star Trek -script.

The writer and star of Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World’s End has smartened himself up as part of the re-brand.

He said: “I turned 40, quit drinking, and decided that I’d quite like to live a bit longer than if I’d continued with that particular lifestyle. I also kind of made a conscious decision to stop dressing like a teenager.”

:eyeroll:

I like Simon Pegg's movies and tv series. Though he's now coming off as a bit hypocritical. He wrote and played the exact character in the UK tv series; Spaced that he's now condemning. He's also involved in writing some on the "nerd culture" movies that he's saying this about: “Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control.”

If someone is not smart enough to make their own choices of what they watch, consume, read, buy, etc. then they get what they deserve.(imo)

Here's a rebuttal / explanation on his web site:

http://simonpegg.net/2015/05/19/big-mouth-strikes-again/

I like Simon Pegg's movies and tv series. Though he's now coming off as bit hypocritical. He wrote and played this exact character in the UK tv series; Spaced that he's now condemning. He's also involved in writing some on the "nerd culture" movies that he's saying this about: “Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control.”

Simon Pegg needs to take his own advice and:

tumblr_lf9kfxrgKL1qzvv4qo1_500.gif

Another one of those guys that has his own personal epiphany and tries to ram it down everyone else's throat.

I have never seen that movie.

I did a Google image search on him, and can remember seeing him in pictures/memes, but I don't know a thing about him or what movies he's been in.

-slym

I never heard of him as well. Yeah, now I know I seen him as Scotty.

First not knowing about Under Armour in the water cooler thread, and now not knowing who Simon Pegg is. lol

I find my post 1995 pop culture knowledge is very limited! :tonofbricks:

He's dumb, and he's projecting his insecurity-fueled career move on the general public. He's also making the obvious logical error that liking comic books and superhero stuff somehow means that you don't like/engage with challenging "real world" material; it's possible and reasonable to do both, and popcorn flicks have always existed along side the "serious" stuff.

He's full of mess. Completely filled with excrement. There have been throw away movies since movies began being made and that's what superhero movies are. It's entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.

Yep.

And before there was Godfather and Taxi, there was Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book, The Sound of Music, 101 Dalmations.... and last year American Sniper, barely beat out GOTG for highest domestic box office. So what the hell does he want???

Besides, films and books are a temporary and necessary ESCAPE from the serious BS in the world of politics-politics-politics.

Yes, he's completely ignoring the many examples of thought provoking movies of the year not doing as well at the box office as "crowd pleasers".

This is far from a new phenomena. It went on in the 60s, 50s, 40s and 30s.

Judgment at Nurembourg vs. West Side Story. Citizen Kane did not do well at the box office.

...and I'm not sure Taxi Driver or Bonnie and Clyde did that well at the box office hm

And, oh, I have one question: Who is Simon Pegg? (shrug)