• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 (5/5/17)
4 4

653 posts in this topic

Went to see the movie yesterday and really enjoyed it as expected. One annoying thing was a lot of the funny parts were in the trailers. They modified them sometmes but just way too many jokes given away in the trailers imo. 

Edited by ianh

I saw it again last night. It was just as good the second time around. This is the only superhero movie I've seen where I really care about the characters without ever reading the comics. 

On May 8, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Turtle said:
  Reveal hidden contents

As someone said, he's dancing in the credits.  Right side, I believe.  They have a few of the characters dancing in costume inside little shapes that scroll with the credits.

There was one dancing guy I didn't recognize, though.  He was long the left side.  Looked like he was wearing a button up shirt, seemed like he was a middle-aged guy.  Certainly didn't fit the look of the movie.  Didn't look like James Gunn, either.  Any ideas?  Anyone else see him?

So I saw this again...and this time I was ready with a super secret camera phone...here is some crappy footage of the weird guy that we don't know who it is...

He is in the bubble after the two Groot bubbles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o55w7dOy56E&feature=youtu.be

8 hours ago, quillandtankard said:

Kind of far fetched like a talking racoon with a gun and a tree-man that only says "groot"?

I said, "EGO dad thing seemed kind of far-fetched." I have no problem with EGO, I just don't recall any of the Star Lord EGO dad back-story. Anyways,

I guess they have liberty to twist around original storylines, but the more I think about it, I felt like I was watching two acts and waiting for a third, that never came.

While the movie was thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining, It felt like I was watching a Rocket Racoon one-shot spin-off (which was totally cool from a fan viewpoint), then

a journey from the rest of the team off to tangle with EGO. But, I don't know if I was the only one that kept thinking, who will the main villain be, and what will the third act be.

It never really came, as EGO was indeed the main villain and third act.. just felt a little bit empty to me.

Please don't take it like a complaint, I still really enjoyed it, just for some reason was expecting a bigger third act. Too cool seeing..

Watchers. Ving Rhames (Charlie-27), and Michael Rosenbaum (Martinex), Sly (Starhawk) -- awesome nod to comic fans [/spoilers]

Edited by bronze_rules

When the first scene appears with The Watchers and Stan Lee, the Watcher focused on before jumping to the next scene looked like the actor that did Max Headroom (Matt Frewer). But he is not shown on IMDd.

Matt-Frewer.jpg

They both worked on Zack Snyder's 'Dawn of the Dead' (2004) together - James Gunn as the screenplay writer, Frewer as the character Frank. I wonder if Gunn slipped him in as a surprise appearance?

On 2017-05-13 at 10:51 AM, Darkowl said:

I saw it again last night. It was just as good the second time around. This is the only superhero movie I've seen where I really care about the characters without ever reading the comics. 

Louise saw it twice and also said it was much better upon 2nd viewing. That's a tall testament to the depth of the movie.

I thought this was an excellent article explaining why DC and other companies are destroying their franchises in an effort to try to establish a crossover universe too quickly rather than slowly and steadily building up a universe the way Marvel has done. Marvel has the magic formula.

How 'King Arthur' Was Killed by a Would-Be Franchise

Not sure I agree with the writer's premise. King Arthur was DOA because the story has been told way too many times before for people to care anymore.   zzz  FWIW, A Knight's Tale appears to have done a better job of "modernizing" this type of film by not going so overboard with special effects and modern fighting/battle styles based on what I can see in the trailer (I decided way back that not going to waste money it). 

wildly entertaining. for me, GOTG > Avengers and GOTG 2> AoU by a mile (which still isn't saying much since AoU stunk).  maybe because i have no history with them, Gunn's characters feel fresh while Whedon's Avengers were dull.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Not sure I agree with the writer's premise. King Arthur was DOA because the story has been told way too many times before for people to care anymore.   zzz  FWIW, A Knight's Tale appears to have done a better job of "modernizing" this type of film by not going so overboard with special effects and modern fighting/battle styles based on what I can see in the trailer (I decided way back that not going to waste money it). 

How dare you question The Hollywood Reporter - the site that was so set on seeing Suicide Squad fail, it noted the film had to break $800MM to match production costs.

Ayer had to sprint through his ensembles’ individual stories to ensure that the franchise was teed up for sequels (and Justice League)

Although the movie was not a strong story (7.5/10.0 for me), I don't remember where David Ayer plugged in a Justice League reference to tee up a link to those characters - other than using the death of Superman as a catalyst for the team. It was all about a separate universe within the franchise. It succeeded, even with a weak story and villains. Ayer admitted that afterwards he should have focused on the Joker.

I wonder if they will go on a second date?

Man Sues Woman Over Hellish Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 Date Night

If you’ve got any plans to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 with a date, then be sure you don’t text during the film. For one Texas couple, a date night at the theaters as turned into a full-on lawsuit. Thanks to the Austin American-Statesman, fans have learned Guardians of the Galaxy is at the center of one of Texas’ most bizarre court proceedings as of late.

According to the paper, Brandon Vezmar is now suing an unnamed woman after the pair went on a date to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. The 37-year-old plantiff is seeking $17.31 in damages as that total was the cost of the 3D movie ticket he purchased for his date.

In the lawsuit, Vezmar describes the night out as “a first date from hell.” Speaking with the local newspaper, the plantiff said his date began texting during the movie about 15 minutes into the feature. The suit claims the woman “activated her phone at least 10-20 times” before Vezmar asked her to stop. When he then suggested she text outside the theaters, the woman left the cinema in her own car, leaving Vezmar without a ride home.

Gunn has his own opinion on the case.

James Gunn Weighs In On Odd Guardians Of The Galaxy Date Lawsuit

TyHLuxA.png

:insane:

On 5/12/2017 at 7:03 PM, 29dukedog said:

That's Galactus battling Ego on the cover of Thor #161.  They're natural enemies; a living planet, and a guy who eats planets for breakfast.

Thought he was a giant cloud?:baiting: