• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 (5/5/17)
4 4

653 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Saw it tonight.  Thought the story was weak but did laugh a lot.  7 out of 10 for me

Doesn't bode well for the movie to have strong legs when most movie goers and almost all reviewers are noting that although the movie be be fun, the story line is characterized by obvious weakness.  :frown:

1 hour ago, AGGIEZ said:

"I'm Marry Poppins Ya'll!"...put it on a t-shirt and I'm in. So hilarious! 

My 8 and 9 year old boys love it. A little more cussing than I'd have liked for those two, but whatever. I loved it. I agree, I didn't like it as much as #1, but it was damn good. A few of the jokes fell flat and some of them were just forced, but overall a very funny movie.

I had high hopes for the movie, especially since I think GOTG is the best Marvel movie, but this was very underwhelming and lame.  It started out promising with the flashback and great song but after that it went downhill fast.   I don't want to be a debbie downer but here's my take on some of it.  I'm sure I'll remember other stuff laters.

Spoiler

- It seemed right off the bat that there was a lot of sexual innuendo, talking about male genitalia, and cussing.  I'm no prude and my partner leaned over to me after the Yondu brothel scene mentioning about a lot of innuendo.  Not sure what's up with that but this is the first time I've outright noticed that before. 

- Another scene that seemed weird was when Ego was showing them his creepy moving statues when he found that little girl then showing him meeting Peter's mom.  He looked like some sort of weird pedo creeping on that little girl with his 70s look.  Then later on when he showed Peter those statues of him making out with all those other females seemed really out of place.  Just very odd.

- The soundtrack with the exception of maybe 2 songs is terrible, there are so many other songs that would have made the movie "feel" better, I think that really helped in the first movie.

- Can someone explain those weird gold looking people???  Don't remember them in the comics and it looked silly when they were on the gamer biker screens playing galaga.

- The CGI on Ego was terrible, it looked like they were in the Lord of the Rings or The Wizard of Oz.  I was expecting to see a hobbit or muchkin running around.

- The CGI fight scene between Ego and Peter was bad; pacman...really?  It's taken Ego millions of years to get where he is and to have Peter and his bunch take him out so easily was underwhelming.  It really made being a celestial not really a big deal, especially after showing what they could do in the first GOTG.  It would have made more sense to have Peters dad be a less powerful being.

- The best parts were Nebula and Yondu.  Drax also had really good scenes with Mantis.  But Nebula and Yondu were what made this movie bearable/enjoyable.  Their inner struggles and sacrifices made me actually care for them and feel sad at the end of the movie.

- They could make a movie just on Nebula and Gamora by what they revealed in this movie.

- Sly looked pretty good for being 70 or was it all CGI?  They did a good job on young Kurt Russell back in the 80s, digged the feathered hair. 

- So is Stan Lee a watcher or not?  I'd say not if he needs to wear a spacesuit???  Was expecting more on the end credit scenes, nothing exciting.  Was hoping for a Thanos cameo.

- I really really really wanted to love this movie but I'll give it a 5/10. 

Just got back - enjoyed the movie; GotG I & II is certainly one of the better storylines in the MCU franchise.  What made silver age Marvel "Marvel" for me, was the emphasis on character - and Guardians has that in spades.  I was pleased that the wrestler guy playing Drax seemed a much better actor in this movie than in the first one, a nice improvement.  Like the first movie, good choices in source music.
Contrary to other viewers I thought the storyline was fine, especially given the theme of 'family' in the movie.  Which also made Ego a great antagonist.
An 8.5 - maybe 9 - out of 10, for me.  Can't wait for Vol III !

Thought it was good but definitely not nearly as good as the 1st.  The 1st flowed so perfectly that I even forgave the dance off scene.  This one seemed very choppy and kind of forced together with no real bad guy to root against.  Still a B movie with a lot of laugh out loud scenes but not a movie I want to see over and over again like the 1st.  Weak soundtrack!  Taser Face!!

For me, the best MCU movies are Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Love these two movies, though The Avengers has that special 'team' experience that also makes it great.

But like I noted earlier, with Guardians Vol. 2 some of the story felt slight off for me, though the movie was fun and characters great to experience again. Some items that I had questions about:

Spoiler

1) Ego tells Peter if he allows the former to die, he will lose his Celestial powers. How? If Peter is part Celestial from birth, I would think this is part of him now passed along by his father's genes.

2) Ego is a Celestial, which when I check Marvel.com's description these are beings with immense power. So if Peter is part-Celestial, part-human - wouldn't that make him less powerful than Ego? And I would assume the other members of the Guardians would be like ants taking him on as well.

Celestial Physical Description (Marvel wiki)
Celestials are beings who manifest their energies inside physical shells, most appearing as armor. Most Celestials stand about 2000 feet tall. All Celestials possess cosmic power of an unknown limit. Celestials rarely communicate and will usually send representatives to speak on their behalf. Each Celestial is outfitted for a certain task or duty.

I didn't catch this appearance, though I had heard mention she was in the movie.

Did You Spot Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2's Miley Cyrus Cameo?

Spoilers for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 incoming, so you've been warned.

Spoiler

In the final after credit sequence for the movie, there are several people standing around who might not recognize unless you're a longtime comics fan. Stakar (Sylvester Stallone) is one of the original Guardians of the Galaxy, which resided in the 31st century. He is joined by Charlie-27, Martinex, Aleta, Krugaar, and Mainframe. That last one has a unique vocal tone, which despite the obvious effects applied stands out as none other than Miley Cyrus. The character doesn't say much, but the characters seem intent on causing some chaos and should be a big part of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

Edited by Bosco685

8 hours ago, NUNYABZ said:

I had high hopes for the movie, especially since I think GOTG is the best Marvel movie, but this was very underwhelming and lame.  It started out promising with the flashback and great song but after that it went downhill fast.   I don't want to be a debbie downer but here's my take on some of it.  I'm sure I'll remember other stuff laters.

Reveal hidden contents

- It seemed right off the bat that there was a lot of sexual innuendo, talking about male genitalia, and cussing.  I'm no prude and my partner leaned over to me after the Yondu brothel scene mentioning about a lot of innuendo.  Not sure what's up with that but this is the first time I've outright noticed that before. 

- Another scene that seemed weird was when Ego was showing them his creepy moving statues when he found that little girl then showing him meeting Peter's mom.  He looked like some sort of weird pedo creeping on that little girl with his 70s look.  Then later on when he showed Peter those statues of him making out with all those other females seemed really out of place.  Just very odd.

- The soundtrack with the exception of maybe 2 songs is terrible, there are so many other songs that would have made the movie "feel" better, I think that really helped in the first movie.

- Can someone explain those weird gold looking people???  Don't remember them in the comics and it looked silly when they were on the gamer biker screens playing galaga.

- The CGI on Ego was terrible, it looked like they were in the Lord of the Rings or The Wizard of Oz.  I was expecting to see a hobbit or muchkin running around.

- The CGI fight scene between Ego and Peter was bad; pacman...really?  It's taken Ego millions of years to get where he is and to have Peter and his bunch take him out so easily was underwhelming.  It really made being a celestial not really a big deal, especially after showing what they could do in the first GOTG.  It would have made more sense to have Peters dad be a less powerful being.

- The best parts were Nebula and Yondu.  Drax also had really good scenes with Mantis.  But Nebula and Yondu were what made this movie bearable/enjoyable.  Their inner struggles and sacrifices made me actually care for them and feel sad at the end of the movie.

- They could make a movie just on Nebula and Gamora by what they revealed in this movie.

- Sly looked pretty good for being 70 or was it all CGI?  They did a good job on young Kurt Russell back in the 80s, digged the feathered hair. 

- So is Stan Lee a watcher or not?  I'd say not if he needs to wear a spacesuit???  Was expecting more on the end credit scenes, nothing exciting.  Was hoping for a Thanos cameo.

- I really really really wanted to love this movie but I'll give it a 5/10. 

Have to say I agree with this overall.

Spoiler

A lot of the humor did seem forced to me and was far too over the top. In a lot of ways, it seemed like this was a parody of the first movie rather than a sequel. It also seemed that the sexual innuendo material was included out of laziness on the part of the writers. They must have figured that Deadpool was successful with it, so they might as well just ape it in this one.

The first half was too slow due to the excessive "humor". Once Ego's intentions were clear, the rest of the movie improved considerably.

The Gamora/Nebula storyline was my favorite part of the movie. Gillan and Saldana were great!

Regarding the jokes, I didn't expect this to be "grim and gritty" because that wasn't the nature of the first movie. However, a lot of it didn't seem to develop from the characters themselves and was too forcibly injected into the -script. It was almost like the -script was written, reviewed, and someone was hired to doctor it up with "humor" instead. On a positive note, I did get some laughs out of the Groot scenes.

This movie could have been a LOT better by just making some minor adjustments with pacing and the sex jokes/forced humor.

My brother & I really enjoyed the movie & will probably go back to see it again. Will have to watch GOTG 1 again 1st, as it's been 2 years now.

Spoiler

This movie takes place right after the 1st one in 2014, so the mid mid mid credit scene with Warlock's cocoon means he will likely show up in Avengers Infinity Gauntlet in 2019. I'm thinking he will be in a mid credit scene after Infinity War emerging from the cocoon. :whee:

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I didn't catch this appearance, though I had heard mention she was in the movie.

Did You Spot Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2's Miley Cyrus Cameo?

Spoilers for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 incoming, so you've been warned.

Reveal hidden contents

In the final after credit sequence for the movie, there are several people standing around who might not recognize unless you're a longtime comics fan. Stakar (Sylvester Stallone) is one of the original Guardians of the Galaxy, which resided in the 31st century. He is joined by Charlie-27, Martinex, Aleta, Krugaar, and Mainframe. That last one has a unique vocal tone, which despite the obvious effects applied stands out as none other than Miley Cyrus. The character doesn't say much, but the characters seem intent on causing some chaos and should be a big part of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

Actually, the original Guardians of the Galaxy from MSH 18 consisted of 4 members, Yondu, Martinex, Charlie-27 & Vance Astro.

1 minute ago, vaillant said:

12 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

Actually, the original Guardians of the Galaxy from MSH 18 consisted of 4 members, Yondu, Martinex, Charlie-27 & Vance Astro.

And they were (are) awesome. (thumbsu

Yeah I really liked the original story but I guess they weren't popular enough or they got lost in the Marvel expansion at the time, since it was 5 or 6 years later before they were featured again.

I loved the MSH 18 story and eagerly awaited the Guardian's return.
But by the time the Guardians came back - in a Thing story IIRC -I had turned 18 ( a long ways from 12 years old) and my interests had diverged from comics to girls, beer, and the other stuff 18-year-olds were interested in, so my response to their return was less than enthusiastic.
'Course a few years after that when I had settled down, I enjoyed going back to those stories.

I often wonder what could have been done with them in the 1969 Marvel era if they had more than just the one-shot.

6 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

Yeah I really liked the original story but I guess they weren't popular enough or they got lost in the Marvel expansion at the time, since it was 5 or 6 years later before they were featured again.

I loved the MSH 18 story and eagerly awaited the Guardian's return.
But by the time the Guardians came back - in a Thing story IIRC -I had turned 18 ( a long ways from 12 years old) and my interests had diverged from comics to girls, beer, and the other stuff 18-year-olds were interested in, so my response to their return was less than enthusiastic.
'Course a few years after that when I had settled down, I enjoyed going back to those stories.

I often wonder what could have been done with them in the 1969 Marvel era if they had more than just the one-shot.

To be honest, I am not familiar with the original debut story.
I have loved Steve Gerber’s stories, some of which I have read when I was 12 or so myself.
I believe it’s important when you read a story that you can relate to it because of what you have personally experienced: the true mastery of a good writer would be to touch whatever kind of people's soul. When I was 18-19 I still read and liked them a lot (well, in fact I just restarted, and started reading them in english) and I loved the New Mutants that at the time were wonderfully written by Claremont and Louise Simonson. They managed to touch a lot of issues relevant to teenagers back then (including growing up, jealousies, relationships with adults) and they did it in a brilliant way.
Gerber's Guardians were pretty sophisticate and bizarre… understandable they might have not stirred your interest when you were 18.
Also great are some stories where they were featured on other titles. Stakar and Aleta… :cloud9:

Edited by vaillant

Just got back with my wife and son.  We all found it funny and emotional.  Yeah, we liked the first one better... but you can NEVER replicate the utter surprise and delight of a movie like that no matter what you follow it up with.  This was true to the characters, well made, full of Marvel goodies, and as I said, very funny and emotional.  I look forward to watching it again and again on HBO.  lol  

I'm not going to blame this movie for the fact that it's predacessor is one of my all-time favorites.   I almost guarantee this movie will get better and better in the rewatching, after the initial "it's not the first one" fades a bit and we judge it on its own merits.

One drawback, though. I wish it had more post-credit scenes.  (I kid, I kid!!)

Edited by fmaz

32 minutes ago, vaillant said:

To be honest, I am not familiar with the original debut story.
I have loved Steve Gerber’s stories, some of which I have read when I was 12 or so myself.
I believe it’s important when you read a story that you can relate to it because of what you have personally experienced: the true mastery of a good writer would be to touch whatever kind of people's soul. When I was 18-19 I still read and liked them a lot (well, in fact I just restarted, and started reading them in english) and I loved the New Mutants that at the time were wonderfully written by Claremont and Louise Simonson. They managed to touch a lot of issues relevant to teenagers back then (including growing up, jealousies, relationships with adults) and they did it in a brilliant way.
Gerber's Guardians were pretty sophisticate and bizarre… understandable they might have not stirred your interest when you were 18.
Also great are some stories where they were featured on other titles. Stakar and Aleta… :cloud9:

In 1968 Marvel was dipping its toes in featuring cosmic stories and characters in their own books.  Captain Marvel had his own book after a couple stories in MSH.  The Silver Surfer seemed to be doing okay in his own series.  Cosmic as they were, the stories in these books were still fairly Earth-centric.  The Surfer and Capt. Mar-Vell may have been aliens and many of their antagonists were from off-world, but the stories revolved around Earth.
The Guardians story was different.  They were on Pluto.  They were on Jupiter.  And when they were on Earth, it was an Earth of the future.  The Badoon threat was brought in from the Silver Surfer series to tie it into the Marvel Universe.
But it was way more cosmic and science fiction than anything marvel had out at the time.  Had they graduated to their own series from the Marvel Super Heroes try-out like Capt. Marvel did, it would have been a neat series, quite different from anything else.

Edited by Unca Ben

12 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

In 1968 Marvel was dipping its toes in featuring cosmic stories and characters in their own books.  Captain Marvel had his own book after a couple stories in MSH.  The Silver Surfer seemed to be doing okay in his own series.  Cosmic as they were, the stories in these books were still fairly Earth-centric.  The Surfer and Capt. Mar-Vell may have been aliens and many of their antagonists were from off-world, but the stories revolved around Earth.
The Guardians story was different.  They were on Pluto.  They were on Jupiter.  And when they were on Earth, it was an Earth of the future.  The Badoon threat was brought in from the Silver Surfer series to tie it into the Marvel Universe.
But it was way more cosmic and science fiction than anything marvel had out at the time.  Had they graduated to their own series from the Marvel Super Heroes try-out like Capt. Marvel did, it would have been a neat series, quite different from anything else.

That’s very interesting – see, it takes first time readers to notice these things. Even a few years difference… makes the difference. :)
But the Gerber follow-up series from the early 1970s was original too. I liked a lot many "minor" characters, even if they had just a few issues.

We also have a character poster for David Hasselhoff, who Ego briefly takes the form of when attempting to sway Star-Lord to his side. Here, he's dubbed Zardu because Gamora mispronounces his name as "Zardu Hasslefrau" in the movie.

aU5YkWVfP0Q.jpg

'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Looks to Kick Off Summer 2017 with a Bang

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 delivered an estimated $56.2 million on Friday and has Disney anticipating an opening around $140 million as it's well below the $68.8 million Friday for Iron Man 3, which opened with $174.1 million and ahead of the $51.2 million brought in by Iron Man 2, which debuted with $128.1 million. The film scored an "A" CinemaScore, which is right in line with pretty much every other film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, all of which have scored in the "A" range outside of Thor, which scored a "B+".