• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doc Strange 169 - room to grow?

34 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just to say this isn't a sales thread, but I wanted a little sales advice...

I am starting to look seriously at picking up an Avengers 1, something I have been after for ages, but to do so I need to sell some other books.

One of which is a DS169.

I ended up with 2 copies,, a cgc 5.0 and an 8.0.

Though I am tempted when I saw a 8.5 go for $500, I can't help but feel it may still have room to grow with films etc... Will j kick myself if I let it go now?

Opinions appreciated!

P.

If DS169 further goes up in price, how much bump will it see relative to the potential Avengers 1 increase in the same time period? I'm more inclined to get rid of DS169 and go after the avengers 1.

Well I thought about that, but with what has happened to other books with movies in the works, is it not possible that for a short time the DS will see a spike whereas Avengers would maintain a fairly consistent climb relative to what it has already been doing?

And thanks both for your replies :)

P

Sell the 5.0 and keep the 8.5, that way you are still participating in any future price increase. Avengers 1 is such a cool book. Good luck !

Agree with this. Sell the 5.0. And if you have to the 8.5 . Avengers #1 has only one way to go and thats a consistent climb up. DS 169 while is his first book (solo title) he has appeared many many times before that so its bump limited in my opinion in comparison to Avengers 1.

I would think about acquisition price of Avengers 1 (in whatever grade you want) now and it's growth relative to Doctor Strange 169 and its growth. It is very likely that DS 169 sees a higher percentage gain, but the absolute dollar growth of AV 1 could be equal to or greater (again, depends on the grade).

Keep in mind that Doctor Strange books are highly speculative right now and likely to see increased volatility. Even if the movie is hugely successful (and a few other things fall into place to make the character a super-star), there are a few other DS titles that are likely to hold their value before 169.

My recommendation (as it is with all mega keys) is to buy them now because they are likely to increase in value over all other books over time. So buy the Avengers 1 now and keep a copy of DS 169 if you are a huge fan. Better yet, sell both slabs and buy a reader copy for you to keep and enjoy!

I would think about acquisition price of Avengers 1 (in whatever grade you want) now and it's growth relative to Doctor Strange 169 and its growth. It is very likely that DS 169 sees a higher percentage gain, but the absolute dollar growth of AV 1 could be equal to or greater (again, depends on the grade).

Keep in mind that Doctor Strange books are highly speculative right now and likely to see increased volatility.

So, there's a good chance they could go down, then?

Even if the movie is hugely successful (and a few other things fall into place to make the character a super-star), there are a few other DS titles that are likely to hold their value before 169.

What does that mean, "hold their value before 169"? (I am speaking of the BEFORE part, not the HOLD THEIR VALUE part) Do you mean #169 is likely going to fall in value? If so, would you recommend buying it now? Granted, Strange Tales #110 will probably "hold its value" better than Doctor Strange #169...but what if Doctor Strange completely tanks?

Those who bought Showcase #22 in 2011 and 2012 in grades above 4.5 have seen impressive losses in value, even in this exuberant market.

My recommendation (as it is with all mega keys) is to buy them now because they are likely to increase in value over all other books over time. So buy the Avengers 1 now and keep a copy of DS 169 if you are a huge fan. Better yet, sell both slabs and buy a reader copy for you to keep and enjoy!

While it's true that keys always tend to rise faster, and hole value better, than non-keys, what happens if the market retracts, as it did in the early 80's, and again in the late 90's/early 00's?

. Avengers #1 has only one way to go and thats a consistent climb up.

One should be very, very careful making statements like this.

Avengers #1, while it has enjoyed definite advances in value in the last 4 years, spent the majority of its life lagging behind other Marvel books of the era, and actually went down in price, first in the early 80's, then again in the late 90's/early 00's.

As with always...if you're looking to "invest", buy stocks. Comics...especially at the prices they are now....aren't going to have much more room to "grow."

Disaster could be just ahead. Proceed with caution.

True I probably should not make such a definitive statement. I assume (I know I saw the odd couple ) that most collectors know that anything can lose it value or get stagnant. But there are few safer comics to put your money in. , my opinion ofcourse.

True I probably should not make such a definitive statement. I assume (I know I saw the odd couple ) that most collectors know that anything can lose it value or get stagnant. But there are few safer comics to put your money in. , my opinion ofcourse.

True, but you and I and others have been around the block a few times in this hobby, and know the pitfalls it can have.

There are a LOT of new people in this hobby, people who have no idea about its history (and a few that don't, but think they do), and so aren't going to know that "this always goes up" may not necessarily be true.

Stable markets, with stable growth, are the best kind of market there is.

Are you following me? ???

Yep.

What does that mean, "hold their value before 169"? (I am speaking of the BEFORE part, not the HOLD THEIR VALUE part) Do you mean #169 is likely going to fall in value? If so, would you recommend buying it now? Granted, Strange Tales #110 will probably "hold its value" better than Doctor Strange #169...but what if Doctor Strange completely tanks?

Those who bought Showcase #22 in 2011 and 2012 in grades above 4.5 have seen impressive losses in value, even in this exuberant market.

I wouldn't recommend speculating on comics at all unless you have money to burn (both figuratively and literally). Particularly on unproven characters.

While it's true that keys always tend to rise faster, and hold value better, than non-keys, what happens if the market retracts, as it did in the early 80's, and again in the late 90's/early 00's?

What is your point? My recommendation was in relation to the OP's thoughts. They wanted to know which would we recommend buying, I said Avengers 1. If the bottom drops out of the market none of this would matter very much.

Why are you proposing hypotheticals?

I was just giving guidance to the OP based on the criteria they provided. I didn't factor in any additional presumptions into the equation (doing so just leads down an endless rabbit hole). Why are you forcing additional questions and details into the discussion that were not there to begin with?

I don't have your faith in Doctor Strange 169. He's got a long stretch of issues with nothing key about them. That scares away collectors, and explains why the price on common issues hasn't moved in 15 years. Strange Tales are creeping up very slowly, but I don't expect to see sustained demand in his own title after the movie. $60 for an F copy of 169 is more than enough.

No. This isn't Facebook. Would you like to be followed? You'll have to find someone else to do it.

Yep.

I wouldn't recommend speculating on comics at all unless you have money to burn (both figuratively and literally). Particularly on unproven characters.

While it's true that keys always tend to rise faster, and hold value better, than non-keys, what happens if the market retracts, as it did in the early 80's, and again in the late 90's/early 00's?

What is your point? My recommendation was in relation to the OP's thoughts. They wanted to know which would we recommend buying, I said Avengers 1. If the bottom drops out of the market none of this would matter very much.

Why are you proposing hypotheticals?

I was just giving guidance to the OP based on the criteria they provided. I didn't factor in any additional presumptions into the equation (doing so just leads down an endless rabbit hole). Why are you forcing additional questions and details into the discussion that were not there to begin with?

I thought my point was pretty clear, but I'll state it again: what happens if the market retracts, as it did in the early 80's, and late 90's/early 00's? Because if that happens, then your statement: "It is very likely that DS 169 sees a higher percentage gain, but the absolute dollar growth of AV 1 could be equal to or greater (again, depends on the grade)." loses its meaning.

It depends on the assumption that DS #169, or any comic, will continue to go up. While it is true that, IF comics go up, that keys will rise faster, that doesn't mean they will.

We play on very dangerous ground here, giving people financial advice based on what may happen in the future. You should carefully consider giving such advice.

No. This isn't Facebook. Would you like to be followed? You'll have to find someone else to do it.

Well you seem to find my posts and respond to them quite a bit, so I really think you are... Kinda weird.

I thought my point was pretty clear, but I'll state it again: what happens if the market retracts, as it did in the early 80's, and late 90's/early 00's? Because if that happens, then your statement: "It is very likely that DS 169 sees a higher percentage gain, but the absolute dollar growth of AV 1 could be equal to or greater (again, depends on the grade)." loses its meaning.

It depends on the assumption that DS #169, or any comic, will continue to go up. While it is true that, IF comics go up, that keys will rise faster, that doesn't mean they will.

We play on very dangerous ground here, giving people financial advice based on what may happen in the future. You should carefully consider giving such advice.

I wasn't giving financial advice in the strict sense and frankly you are taking this discussion to an absurd place just to prove a point. To be clear, any financial advice is speculative by design as there are no guarantees and it is always all risk (past performance does not indicate future performance, etc).

My guidance was fairly vanilla given historical known key book value performance versus speculative books. Are there absolutes: no, of course not. However the OP didn't ask for a financial advisory board to rule on what does or does not make good sense for investments. I am not responsible for educating everyone who asks a simple question on the boards and I do not approach every question as an opportunity to provide unsolicited information. You however obviously feel different.

You should carefully consider this before making mountains out of molehills.

Well you seem to find my posts and respond to them quite a bit, so I really think you are... Kinda weird.

Maybe you're paranoid?

I wasn't giving financial advice in the strict sense and frankly you are taking this discussion to an absurd place just to prove a point. To be clear, any financial advice is speculative by design as there are no guarantees and it is always all risk (past performance does not indicate future performance, etc).

And you don't think it's important to mention that, while at the same time telling someone about "growth potential"? Is there only an upside to be mentioned, and no downside?

Maybe you're paranoid?

I am paranoid because you keep following me.

And you don't think it's important to mention that, while at the same time telling someone about "growth potential"? Is there only an upside to be mentioned, and no downside?

As I stated, I don't think it is my responsibility to point out everything. Technically this is a site for adults (at least I think it is) and everyone is responsible for themselves. The OP asked a question and I didn't provide additional unsolicited information beyond answering the question.

If all I did was go around providing huge amounts of unsolicited advice to people under the guise of "helping them" or some sense of misconstrued duty - well I would do nothing else all day long. Come to think of it, I would be exactly like you. :makepoint: That makes me a little sad for you. :cry:

DS169 is a cool book with a really great cover, but for me, that's kind of where it ends, and I feel that way about most if not all of the 1968 reboot titles (IM 1, IH 102, IMSM 1, SM 1, Cap 100, NF 1).

Find a nice clean 6.0 and put the others into an Avengers 1 if that's what you're looking to do. I think the ceiling is somewhat low on the DS 169, but that doesn't mean it's not a great book that you can enjoy.

Maybe you're paranoid?

I am paranoid because you keep following me.

This isn't Facebook. Would you like to be followed? You'll have to find someone else to do it.

As I stated, I don't think it is my responsibility to point out everything. Technically this is a site for adults (at least I think it is) and everyone is responsible for themselves. The OP asked a question and I didn't provide additional unsolicited information beyond answering the question.

Yes, and I responded with my own comments about what you had to say...which, of course, was solicited by the OP when he said "opinions appreciated!" You offered your opinion, I offered mine. Why make issues out of nothing?

If all I did was go around providing huge amounts of unsolicited advice to people under the guise of "helping them" or some sense of misconstrued duty - well I would do nothing else all day long. Come to think of it, I would be exactly like you. :makepoint: That makes me a little sad for you. :cry:

The greater issue, here, is why you lack sufficient emotional control to handle anyone challenging what you say without resorting to derogatory personal remarks. If you can't handle being challenged, you might want to find a place where there isn't anyone to challenge you.

DS169 is a cool book with a really great cover, but for me, that's kind of where it ends, and I feel that way about most if not all of the 1968 reboot titles (IM 1, IH 102, IMSM 1, SM 1, Cap 100, NF 1).

Find a nice clean 6.0 and put the others into an Avengers 1 if that's what you're looking to do. I think the ceiling is somewhat low on the DS 169, but that doesn't mean it's not a great book that you can enjoy.

No Silver Surfer #1...? :(

All the 1968 first issues are neato, and relatively inexpensive. I wish they were all #1s, but that was a remnant of the old Second Class postage days.