• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover me/I'm going in!!!

110 posts in this topic

My 2 cents...100% of my 5,000+ comic collection is RAW. I've only bought 1 slabbed book and it was released immediately. I think the only reason to slab a book is if it is very high grade and you want to sell it to someone who thinks that makes it more valuable. Some day I will probably do that...or maybe not...but after seeing the high prices Nedors brought in the recent HA auction I think maybe this one might need a tomb some day:

25z14lj.jpg

Do you know what the Exciting #39 went for and what was the grade?

$19,718 for the Rockford 9.2.

whoooaaaaa that's nuts

Yeah the Nedors all went very high. At the start of the auction I expected to pick up at least a couple, but I struck out. The few I bid aggressively on, it quickly became evident I was up against someone who would not be denied.

Actually, that book is so nice it doesn't matter if it's in a slab or from some Pedigree. It's a comic book...a very nice comic book...that should be enough. Oh, and the sale price just expired...the new price is $18,000. Better hurry before I raise it again...

Which nursery school did you just wander in from? :D

For me, I am ok with my books CGCed, but prefer storing them in mylar. I have digital copies of just about everything published thanks to a few friends and lucky stumblings online. I happily read digital copies and collect the comics for the feel, smell (wierd I know), the look of it in hand, and satisfaction of owning them. Rarely is it investment. I do collect books that haven't been digitallized because I wish to do it myself, but it is quite the challenge.

I will say it is nearly impossible to digitallize a beautiful sheen of a well preserved cover.

Every time I look at a slabbed high grade golden age comic book it makes me a little sad...

...sad that I don't own it.

I often pop books out of the slab..... especially in the 5.0 to 7.5 range, because I'm confident that I won't damage them further and like them raw for the reasons many have mentioned above. Most of my collection is raw.One word of advice, if you're debating about popping that sweet 7.0 that just looks SO much nicer than a 7.0, get the Grader's Notes first. If it's too good to be true, it usually is. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Every time I look at a slabbed high grade golden age comic book it makes me a little sad...

I thought you did own them all. :baiting:

My focus fluctuates too much for me to crack out books. I collected the first 10 Legion appearances, held onto them for a year or so, then sold. It would have been pricey to have them all recertified before putting them on the market. Same with Joker covers, collected a dozen or so, then realized that I only liked the ones where he's menacing, rather than the covers where the joke's on him.

Sure, I have some Actions and Supes that I've owned for years, some a decade or more, but I can always read those stories elsewhere.

I'm in a similar space as you are Jeff. I have ADD as a collector for the most part.So I keep some of those slabbed. The ones I'll likely move and get something else shiny

The vast majority of my collection is raw and will remain with me as long as I remain.

that was also true of you before there was such a thing as slabs

What do you guys do with peds? I have a few books I would love to crack open and read but worry about losing the pedigree notation.

I notice other boardies crack out peds and resell them. October posted a nice MH Eagle no#1 the other day. Will CGC reinstate the pedigree status on resubmission?

I have several books I want to crack out and do not plan on selling but I would hate to lose the chain of provenance and I know that when I pass my family will sell them. Seems like a catch 22. Either they stay entombed and I can't enjoy them or I crack them out and provenance becomes doubtful / is lost.

My 2 cents...100% of my 5,000+ comic collection is RAW. I've only bought 1 slabbed book and it was released immediately. I think the only reason to slab a book is if it is very high grade and you want to sell it to someone who thinks that makes it more valuable. Some day I will probably do that...or maybe not...but after seeing the high prices Nedors brought in the recent HA auction I think maybe this one might need a tomb some day:

25z14lj.jpg

This is how I am. I don't much have a big concern if the book is restored or not. Further, high grade has never been a big focus. But don't get me wrong. A few awesome books are in my collection. I also buy books that are slabbed, and ASAP I get out the bottle opener and a few other tools for their release. My collection is relatively small compared to what others have. My guess is around 100 books. That is well over 20 years. Some way awesome things for me but some might say, ehhhh! Slabs are not for everyone.

Most of my Peds have markings on them that tell what Ped it is, or a certificate or bill of sale stating what Ped it is.

I remember you showing me one:

Dear Brian,

Hope you enjoy the books.

Your pal,

Eddie Church

I like to enjoy every last page between the covers on a book I buy.Really get my money's worth. For me,there's nothing like holding,sniffing and paging thru a supple GA book. :cloud9:

You and I are fishing the same pond here Russell (thumbs u I love seeing the interior artwork, admiring the page quality, enjoying the aroma of vintage paper & inspecting the general state of preservation :headbang:

I am troubled by what sounds like "fear of handling books" from some in the hobby. These high grade books have survived a half dozen DECADES in high grade, all the while being sold between collectors & dealers .... likely being removed from their mylars or bags & inspected in every transaction. Careful, occasional handling should present no danger to a VF (8.0) copy or higher, as long as your hands are clean & dry and, once again, you are CAREFUL!!! I understand if someone doesn't trust themselves with a raw high grade book & for those who don't, perhaps you'd be best served leaving them encapsulated. However, I'd hate to see fear mongering scare people from handling their comics. As far as protection, I've found the Pedrin Fortress to be the most effective AND your comic can be removed within a few minutes for inspection (for those that are interested in the interior contents). 2c

Most of my comics are slabs now. I'm slowly getting rid of or slabbing my remaining raws. If I want to read one I just go to the DCM.

Here's the Contact Comics.

Here's the Exciting.

They dont have DC or Timely?

The DCM (and CBP) are both public domain books only. That's how they're able to share the books. So DC, Marvel/ Timely/ Atlas, EC, Gilberton, and a lot of Dells are off limits; but most other stuff is fine.

If you have a book the sites don't have, you're highly encouraged to scan and share it. The reason so many books are available there is that fans have scanned their copies.

And, to pull things back to the topic:

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=11228

That was the one and only slabbed book I've bought so far, a 9.6 file copy.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/peter-wheat-33-file-copy-bakers-associates-1950-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/191210-11263.s

I will say this: there is something amazing about holding a book of that age that looks so brand new.

About 90% of the comics in my collection are slabbed and I don't do "crack". :sumo:

That said, with rare exception I don't see a compelling reason for keeping lower grade books slabbed (below 6.0). My 2c

I like to keep my key books slabbed no matter the grade. I have an Action Comics 252 in CGC holder that is is 5.0 with OW PQ that I will always keep slabbed. If it's raw I would risk the possibility of damaging the book whenever I had the desire to take it out and read it.