• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover me/I'm going in!!!

110 posts in this topic

About 90% of the comics in my collection are slabbed and I don't do "crack". :sumo:

That said, with rare exception I don't see a compelling reason for keeping lower grade books slabbed (below 6.0). My 2c

I like to keep my key books slabbed no matter the grade. I have an Action Comics 252 in CGC holder that is is 5.0 with OW PQ that I will always keep slabbed. If it's raw I would risk the possibility of damaging the book whenever I had the desire to take it out and read it.

So you leave it slabbed and deprive yourself of being able to enjoy it's stories. What exactly is the point in doing that?

Most of my comics are slabs now. I'm slowly getting rid of or slabbing my remaining raws. If I want to read one I just go to the DCM.

Here's the Contact Comics.

Here's the Exciting.

They dont have DC or Timely?

The DCM (and CBP) are both public domain books only. That's how they're able to share the books. So DC, Marvel/ Timely/ Atlas, EC, Gilberton, and a lot of Dells are off limits; but most other stuff is fine.

If you have a book the sites don't have, you're highly encouraged to scan and share it. The reason so many books are available there is that fans have scanned their copies.

And, to pull things back to the topic:

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=11228

That was the one and only slabbed book I've bought so far, a 9.6 file copy.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/peter-wheat-33-file-copy-bakers-associates-1950-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/191210-11263.s

I will say this: there is something amazing about holding a book of that age that looks so brand new.

AdamStrangeMysMen8v2.jpg

There is one aspect of slabbing that my dealer alter ego really appreciates. In the pre-CGC days if I had a very high grade book for sale at a show every Joe Blow who walked up to the table would want to take it out of the mylar to check it out, fondle it, smell it, read it or whatever else we collectors do. Many times I knew there was no intention of buying, just curiousity, but there isn't a polite way to tell someone they can't look. And there is no polite way to teach someone how to properly handle a comic on the fly. So I got really good at showing no outward appearance of the incredible anxiety I would have every time a book got manhandled. The true beginnings of the poker face. The slab has really saved me from inevitable ulcers and eventual nervous breakdown.

There is one aspect of slabbing that my dealer alter ego really appreciates. In the pre-CGC days if I had a very high grade book for sale at a show every Joe Blow who walked up to the table would want to take it out of the mylar to check it out, fondle it, smell it, read it or whatever else we collectors do. Many times I knew there was no intention of buying, just curiousity, but there isn't a polite way to tell someone they can't look. And there is no polite way to teach someone how to properly handle a comic on the fly. So I got really good at showing no outward appearance of the incredible anxiety I would have every time a book got manhandled. The true beginnings of the poker face. The slab has really saved me from inevitable ulcers and eventual nervous breakdown.

lol

My collection was raw for many decades. Read them all many times. Got bored, and decided what I really liked the most were great covers, in the best grade I could get them. I like them in the CGC holders, and I'm mindful that if I want to sell, which I frequently do to keep a small collection from stagnating, that I will almost certainly get more for a given book than if it is raw.

I'm pleased, though, that so many great comics are anthologized, and while it isn't the same experience as reading a comic in hand, it's better than nothing. Especially happy that Planet Comics are being done for example.

I do like to have my cake, and eat it too.

Mr Bedrock's last post reminds me of an occasion when I showed a fellow collector my prized mid-grade copy of Crime Does Not Pay #24 (long since replaced), which he proceeded to read like a newspaper. By the time he handed it back - only minutes but a seeming eternity later, a one inch lateral tear had appeared where his thumb and finger had gripped the cover. That's one way to lose a thousand dollars without really trying.

My collection was raw for many decades. Read them all many times. Got bored, and decided what I really liked the most were great covers, in the best grade I could get them. I like them in the CGC holders, and I'm mindful that if I want to sell, which I frequently do to keep a small collection from stagnating, that I will almost certainly get more for a given book than if it is raw.

I'm pleased, though, that so many great comics are anthologized, and while it isn't the same experience as reading a comic in hand, it's better than nothing. Especially happy that Planet Comics are being done for example.

Mr Bedrock's last post reminds me of an occasion when I showed a fellow collector my prized mid-grade copy of Crime Does Not Pay #24 (long since replaced), which he proceeded to read like a newspaper. By the time he handed it back - only minutes but a seeming eternity later, a one inch lateral tear had appeared where his thumb and finger had gripped the cover. That's one way to lose a thousand dollars without really trying.

That makes me want to cry.

I gotta know someone REAL well to let them look at a book like that out of the mylar. If you are a seasoned collector, you know how to handle them. I have looked at my un-slabbed Mile High books many times with out damage. Until you have very carefully looked at one of those you have no idea how amazing they truely are.

I gotta know someone REAL well to let them look at a book like that out of the mylar. If you are a seasoned collector, you know how to handle them. I have looked at my un-slabbed Mile High books many times with out damage. Until you have very carefully looked at one of those you have no idea how amazing they truely are.

Human nature being what it is a person's first instinct when handed a beautiful comic in an open bag of any kind, mylar especially, is to pull the book out and inspect it. It is an automatic response ingrained in our DNA. That goes for seasoned collectors and folks who have never looked at a comic before in their life. So if you don't want your books handled you have to either 1) set the ground rules before showing, 2) seal your books up securely in tamper proof bags (or CGC slabs), or 3) grin and bear it.

I always ask the dealers to take the book out of the mylar...and put it back. I know how tricky it can be sometimes...

Me, too. I've always been paranoid about tape pulls or other damage taking the book out or putting it back in.

How do my fellow board members collect? What percentage of your collection is raw vs. slabbed? Are you content just seeing the covers or do you need to get inside them?

I tease myself. I unslab the book and refuse to look inside. :eyeroll:

Human nature being what it is a person's first instinct when handed a beautiful comic in an open bag of any kind, mylar especially, is to pull the book out and inspect it. It is an automatic response ingrained in our DNA. That goes for seasoned collectors and folks who have never looked at a comic before in their life. So if you don't want your books handled you have to either 1) set the ground rules before showing, 2) seal your books up securely in tamper proof bags (or CGC slabs), or 3) grin and bear it.

I keep a TASER handy.

For me it is the raw book. I would say over 95% of my collection is raw. I do buy books graded on occasion, either because of bargain or impulse. I have cracked some out as well. The smell of the book is one of my very favorite parts of reading, and of course, I have had a love affair with comics since I was 5 years old, so it is about the book from cover to cover for me ... I was glad to discover other collectors and learn I wasn't the only one :grin:

I think I got intrigued with buying graded books because I was burned badly on ebay with undisclosed restoration (from a notorious seller I have later discovered has a reputation for this stuff), so it was nice to know what I was paying for - but now that I am so much better at detection, and also trading on these boards with honest folks that have become friends, I buy raw for the most part again. (thumbs u

I keep a TASER handy.

It looked cooler in the funnies. :baiting:

Adam_Strange_Archives,_Volume_1.jpg

Before I found this board, I was blissfully unaware of what the attraction was about high grade. My collection is very mixed because I was always just looking for "a" copy especially if I had to find out the conclusion to a story.

I've been known to trade down when I have a high grade copy that's slabbed.

I think there are two distinctly different hobbies here...and maybe some of us are in-between.

Those who focus on the fact that these are "books" with stories and artwork to read, and those who admire the cover artwork and just love the covers.

I couldn't fathom buying a hard cover book with a beautiful cover and putting it on a shelf to admire unread. It was never the covers that spurred me to stay up most of the night reading with a flashlight. Yet I've been to houses with beautiful libraries with pristine leather bound books in matching covers. My mom used to say they bought books "by the yard" .

I'm a reader. I am learning to love my kindle because it's easier than toting 5 paperbacks in my suitcase, but turning the pages of a real book is much more fun for me...and always will be.

There are many "collectors" I've met who never read the stories. I don't think it's horrible, I just see them more as art collectors. I'm a "book" lover and I have been reading comics (or at least looking at the pictures because I was not bright enough to read then) since I was 5.

I did know enough to take the dustjackets off of the books I read when I was a kid so they would not get messed up. I did that with my comics, too...a small scissor was great for getting around those pesky staples that held them on;) Then I just taped them back to the books;)

:o

[...]

There are many "collectors" I've met who never read the stories. I don't think it's horrible, I just see them more as art collectors.

[...]

It's funny to hear someone else use that term since it is exactly how I enjoy my own high grade comics. Merriam-Webster defines objet d'art like this: "a small object that is valued because it is beautiful or interesting : an object that has artistic value". I have no desire to open or read a CGC 9.4-9.6 comic from the last half of the 1930s. But I like the feeling of seeing an beautiful high grade comic from that era, just like I like to visit art museums and view paintings and sculptures there.

Then there's an entirely different side of me that enjoys opening and reading nice, but lower grade, comics with interesting content, not necessarily of the same issues that I like to hunt in high grade.

I almost always hear collectors describing themselves as somewhere on a spectrum, but I feel more like I have two different interests. They don't overlap a whole lot and there is absolutely no conflict between them.

Before I found this board, I was blissfully unaware of what the attraction was about high grade. My collection is very mixed because I was always just looking for "a" copy especially if I had to find out the conclusion to a story.

I've been known to trade down when I have a high grade copy that's slabbed.

I think there are two distinctly different hobbies here...and maybe some of us are in-between.

Those who focus on the fact that these are "books" with stories and artwork to read, and those who admire the cover artwork and just love the covers.

I couldn't fathom buying a hard cover book with a beautiful cover and putting it on a shelf to admire unread. It was never the covers that spurred me to stay up most of the night reading with a flashlight. Yet I've been to houses with beautiful libraries with pristine leather bound books in matching covers. My mom used to say they bought books "by the yard" .

I'm a reader. I am learning to love my kindle because it's easier than toting 5 paperbacks in my suitcase, but turning the pages of a real book is much more fun for me...and always will be.

There are many "collectors" I've met who never read the stories. I don't think it's horrible, I just see them more as art collectors. I'm a "book" lover and I have been reading comics (or at least looking at the pictures because I was not bright enough to read then) since I was 5.

I did know enough to take the dustjackets off of the books I read when I was a kid so they would not get messed up. I did that with my comics, too...a small scissor was great for getting around those pesky staples that held them on;) Then I just taped them back to the books;)

:o

:cloud9:

Distinctly different hobbies? ... I'm not so sure about that. hm

Comics have always been about the art first. The scripting is important, but a secondary consideration (narration and dialogue provides a voice to give the visuals more personal connection with the reader, but it's the art that lures the collector). It's always been like that. Some folks collect comics for the covers, some folks like to read the stories while enjoying the interior art, some do both and then there are those who collect for other reasons altogether (nostalgia, etc.).

[...]

There are many "collectors" I've met who never read the stories. I don't think it's horrible, I just see them more as art collectors.

[...]

It's funny to hear someone else use that term since it is exactly how I enjoy my own high grade comics. Merriam-Webster defines objet d'art like this: "a small object that is valued because it is beautiful or interesting : an object that has artistic value". I have no desire to open or read a CGC 9.4-9.6 comic from the last half of the 1930s. But I like the feeling of seeing an beautiful high grade comic from that era, just like I like to visit art museums and view paintings and sculptures there.

Then there's an entirely different side of me that enjoys opening and reading nice, but lower grade, comics with interesting content, not necessarily of the same issues that I like to hunt in high grade.

I almost always hear collectors describing themselves as somewhere on a spectrum, but I feel more like I have two different interests. They don't overlap a whole lot and there is absolutely no conflict between them.

This is how I collect. I think Sharon is on the right track about folks collecting for different reasons, but I don't think it's that simple. Some of us have always been high grade collectors (it's in our DNA), but as responsible collectors with a passion for GA who want to see these treasures stick around after us, there is a logic behind acquiring books we have no intention of handling.

Slabbing provides the best means of collecting and preserving high grade comics. There are plenty of other sources available for reading interiors (low grade copies, downloads, archive editions, etc.). And if the pulp paper smell is missed by enough collectors, I'm sure some enterprising fan will make a fortune developing an aerosol spray that recreates the nostalgic atmosphere.

I'm another collector with all books 100% raw. I think Sharon is right about the 2 different types of collectors, and although I loves me some classic covers, owning a book without being able to read it is just too frustrating for me.

I mean, it is AMAZING to see a 9.8 Golden Age book like that Contact. I think CGC is ideal for exactly these kinds of books. Pedigrees like Church books, high-grade high-dollar books, mega-keys etc. These books are really rare icons that make sense to slab both for protection as well as the benefit of third-party grading, not to mention the benefits Richard mentioned as a seller, removing 'handling' issues and pointless grading disputes.

I don't see the point in modern/new books being slabbed, but if people like 'em, that's their choice of course.

But as far as my collecting focus, Golden Age, I like attractive lower grade books that I can handle and read with impunity. The online digital sites are cool but they do lack Timely, DC, most Dell and other books, and even when they have a clear scan available (some of the scans are horrendous), I prefer a real comic whenever possible -- the experience of reading an original Golden Age book is not really replicated for me by the digital experience. I'm happy to leave the high grade/slabs to the collectors that love them, while I enjoy my well-loved low grade "readers".