• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

I believe Aquaman has passed all previous DC films already (Worldwide at least). Not sure what stance China will take on airing future films considering the whole Huawei affair though. Could decide to start asking for a much larger % of their Box office gross.

Edited by chezmtghut

#Aquaman now sitting at $297M at the China box office. Compare that to the past few years with superhero standalone movies. Massive! Between it, #AvengersInfinityWar and #Venom, China may go bankrupt. :banana:

DC_MCU_BO190131a.PNG.fd978f8f866440c035a14e88204a1b03.PNG

On 1/30/2019 at 4:55 PM, Bosco685 said:

So, anyone have a logical answer to this? Other than because it opened up in China first, or some other assumption.

I am basing it on my personal experience investing and losing money in two productions 7-10 years ago. One was a crying shame. It was a documentary on a band's final tour (can't remember the name, but it was supposedly the first industrial rock group) that was poised to do great (we even had box sets for Christmas already designed and ready to be printed and sold), until the lead singer/front man found religionduring the post production editing phase, stopped his drugs and alcohol abuse, and then won the legal battle to prevent release and take ownership of the content since the production company did not ever get him to sign on the dotted line (despite the rest of the group doing so and him giving the verbal go ahead - lesson learned). Prior to that, it looked like a homerun - there were interviews with all sorts of more successful industrial rock artists (e.g. Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails) that generated a ton of interest in the documentary/film from a wide audience. The movie was actually released at a couple of film festivals where the largest backers wanted it to go, receiving rave reviews from the critics, but the rest of us small investors that put in money were basically along for the ride. Looking at the large budget for Aquaman, and the number and size of Chinese funds being formed to invest in film production, there was likely a significant amount of Chinese investment into production (and I would guess a number of other big hero and action films now). 

Here is Wan's connection to one of the Chinese funds: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinese-film-fund-bets-100m-hollywood-directors-fraught-us-relations-1032938 

Reading between the lines of that article, it looks investing in entertainment industry was one way for wealthy Chinese to get larger amounts of funds out of China in one shot. 

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, kimik said:

I am basing it on my personal experience investing and losing money in two productions 7-10 years ago. One was a crying shame. It was a documentary on a band's final tour (can't remember the name, but it was supposedly the first industrial rock group) that was poised to do great (we even had box sets for Christmas already designed and ready to be printed and sold), until the lead singer/front man found religionduring the post production editing phase, stopped his drugs and alcohol abuse, and then won the legal battle to prevent release and take ownership of the content since the production company did not ever get him to sign on the dotted line (despite the rest of the group doing so and him giving the verbal go ahead - lesson learned). Prior to that, it looked like a homerun - there were interviews with all sorts of more successful industrial rock artists (e.g. Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails) that generated a ton of interest in the documentary/film from a wide audience. The movie was actually released at a couple of film festivals where the largest backers wanted it to go, receiving rave reviews from the critics, but the rest of us small investors that put in money were basically along for the ride. Looking at the large budget for Aquaman, and the number and size of Chinese funds being formed to invest in film production, there was likely a significant amount of Chinese investment into production (and I would guess a number of other big hero and action films now). 

Here is Wan's connection to one of the Chinese funds: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinese-film-fund-bets-100m-hollywood-directors-fraught-us-relations-1032938 

Reading between the lines of that article, it looks investing in entertainment industry was one way for wealthy Chinese to get larger amounts of funds out of China in one shot. 

Thanks for sharing your personal experience.

But so far, no matter Wan's past no confirmed involvement in Aquaman has been announced just yet.

12 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Thanks for sharing your personal experience.

But so far, no matter Wan's past no confirmed involvement in Aquaman has been announced just yet.

And you won't get confirmed announcement of Chinese financing of the film unless they are a publicly traded fund that has to disclose. You may be able to find it with some digging later on, but that would take more time than anyone here will want to invest. 

41 minutes ago, kimik said:

And you won't get confirmed announcement of Chinese financing of the film unless they are a publicly traded fund that has to disclose. You may be able to find it with some digging later on, but that would take more time than anyone here will want to invest. 

Understand your viewpoint and assumptions. And until something does come out, nothing is official. Right?

6 minutes ago, kimik said:

So you are saying you disagree with my assumption as to why it opened in China? Just wanted to clarify.

I think it is nice you and I want to share our opinions either way. Meanwhile, neither of us has the real details what did or did not get agreed to between WB and any China investment firms. Talking on and on about it to debate theory is nice, up to a point.

Meanwhile, no announcement made yet to make this a reality.

#Aquaman is just blowing away any expectations I ever had.

USA/Canada $323.4M
China $297.1M
S. Korea $39.6M
Brazil $36M
Mexico $32M
UK $29.1M
Australia $28.2M
France $26M
Germany $23.3M
Japan: TBD (2/8/19)

DC_MCU_BO190203a.thumb.PNG.22aeb383b4e5620dc4c517e6a3ea934e.PNG

Has passed $1.1 bn. worldwide.

And, now that it's within easy striking distance of $325 million domestic, it's firmly entrenched at # 5 for the year for domestic box office.

Nice.

Maybe it's *finally* profitable.

It's funny to see how many people I know via kids sports and/or at work that are just finally seeing this film now. All of them think it is a very good to great film, which is surprising to hear from even the Marvel movies only people who checked out Aquaman because of positive word of mouth. 

Aquaman's day-to-day domestic take has now so far passed that of Suicide Squad that Box Office Mojo is now using BvS as a comp.

As of 48 hours ago, Aquaman was running just 0.08% behind BvS.

That's remarkable, given that BvS made nearly $100 million more than Aquaman on its opening weekend.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 7.36.19 AM.png

It is crazy how massive #Aquaman turned out to be in the end. Even before Japan's box office opening in a day. Even when comparing to the first 6 MCU movies with adjusted USD.

DCU_MCU_BO190206a.thumb.PNG.db507993acd1dbaf15a5afa85f44e2e9.PNG

Even if the production budget one day turns out to be $200M, the results are just as massive compared to other movies in its sales category.

DCU_MCU_BO190206c.thumb.PNG.b2a8aca560a366450f449a7b2e4df26e.PNG

To assume this movie is not going to be massively profitable is looking at the financials with potential biased glasses.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Aquaman's day-to-day domestic take has now so far passed that of Suicide Squad that Box Office Mojo is now using BvS as a comp.

As of 48 hours ago, Aquaman was running just 0.08% behind BvS.

That's remarkable, given that BvS made nearly $100 million more than Aquaman on its opening weekend.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 7.36.19 AM.png

and on day 51 (Sun), Aquaman will pass BvS.  Contrary to the ramblings of one, due to the holiday corridor, the opening weekend meant little   #massivelyprofitableseadoghaslegs