• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This. Exactly this.

See also the current film "Serenity." You know - the one starring Academy Award winners Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway alongside Academy Award nominees Diane Lane and Djimon Hounsou?

It's still hot garbage.

The difference between Ghost Rider (starring Academy Award winner Nicolas Cage alongside Academy Award nominees Sam Elliott and Peter Fonda) and Venom?

Both were hot garbage, but at least Ghost Rider has comedic re-watch value.

yes, Jamie Foxx may have won an Oscar for Ray but it's his stunning performance as Electro that will get him a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.  Paul Giamatti may have been great in Sideways and Cinderella Man, but his portrayal of Rhino in ASM 2 was a thing to behold, pure movie magic. For many of these big names, an appearance in a comic book movie is an easy fat paycheck; for others it can be a winning Super Lotto ticket (Chris Evans, etc.)  Truly outstanding acting performances in these movies are few and far between IMO.  Off the top of my head from the modern era:  Heath Ledger, Alfred Molina, Michael B. Jordan (not FF) and a couple of other maybes: J.K. Simmons (may have just been the perfect translation of a character to the screen) and RDJ (may have just been playing himself).  #distractionfromoceanicAquamanprofitability

Edited by paperheart

3 hours ago, kimik said:

You forgot the most important part of this - was there Chinese money backing the production? From what little I know of the film industry and financing of projects (and losing $$$ as an investor in a couple of small ones lol ), the worldwide release in China + Wan likely means Chinese/other Asian investment backed a large portion of production costs, if not all of it ,seeing as the film was released there. If that is the case, then there may have been a higher % for the studios from China for the simple fact that the Chinese investors needed to be paid back. Just like any other industry, follow the money........

This is why simple models assessing the cost to the studios, return to from box office, and overall profitability are inaccurate. Studios put money in for marketing and a portion of production, but not the whole amount. Even then, some of the marketing costs will be covered for big movies by product placement deals and government grants reduce production costs (10-20% of production costs in exchange for filming/producing in that state/country). They sell a portion/all of the remaining production costs to investors to decrease their risk, just like banks package and dump mortgages/insurance policies onto institutional investors and pension funds as an example. This is how studios can afford to release so many films in a given year - they do not pay for everything.

Correct.  You're adding to my points.  And like I said...for big blockbusters approaching a billion dollars, the best estimate of profitability is simply the worldwide gross.

Edited by JM2
Only deleted an extra space between 2 words.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

What makes anyone assume Chinese investments were involved?

So, anyone have a logical answer to this? Other than because it opened up in China first, or some other assumption.

8 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

You guys still describing Aquaman in here? :shy:

Headlined by the the illustrious Jason Momoa and Amber Heard? 

#bigdumbbudgetandstillnettedlessthanVenom

-J.

LOL nets less than Venom?  Aquaman will finish over $300M ahead of Venom.

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So, anyone have a logical answer to this? Other than because it opened up in China first, or some other assumption.

Much like everything else beyond the standard, industry-wide accepted and utilized 50/40/25 studio split, the lot of these self-styled "industry insiders" are pretty much just pulling random-butt info out of the clear blue sky to make this movie "appear" more profitable than it really is.

But it really is quite entertaining.  :grin:

-J.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Nobody knows.  These deals are private.  But we know that studios are now very conscious about increasing the Chinese %.  And some ways to do it are: Chinese/Asian actors & directors, Chinese investment, filming some scenes in China...and you can guess others; China likes to deal.  I'm sure that releasing there first helps.

Just now, JM2 said:

Nobody knows.  These deals are private.  But we know that studios are now very conscious about increasing the Chinese %.  And some ways to do it are: Chinese/Asian actors & directors, Chinese investment, filming some scenes in China...and you can guess others; China likes to deal.  I'm sure that releasing there first helps.

(thumbsu

-J.

8 minutes ago, JM2 said:

Thanks for the response. By the way, I maintained a thread that covers various resources on theater counts, how studios make their money, and even MPAA annual reports on shifts in the domestic and international markets. So in your travels if you happen across any credible sources we can have as a reference, please have it. It would be really cool.

Movie industry references - or - 'What goes into making a movie'

But I agree special deals are occurring in certain cases. Look what Disney did with 'The Last Jedi' in forcing theaters to play the movie longer, on more screens and for less money. #TheMouseRules

Disney has an impressive list of demands for theaters who want to show 'The Last Jedi'

1 hour ago, JM2 said:

I'd be curious about any sourcing for this as well.

Wikipedia lists five credited production companies, and all are U.S.-based. Notably, one is Zack Snyder's and one is Geoff Johns -- although those may have been small contributors -- LLCs used for tax-deffered payments in exchange for "Executive Producer" credits.

I'd believe it, however, as - for instance - The Martian -- both the book and (to a lesser extent) the movie had blatant Chinese characters and plot points that seemed designed *only* to appeal to that market.

On 1/29/2019 at 12:07 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Probably (and hey, thanks for the segue! ;) )

But It's been a couple of weeks now, let's check back in to see if this big dumb movie with its big dumb $350MM budget is even as profitable as the other surprise runaway hit of the year Venom was (is):

(According to boxofficemojo):

China-  $295MM @ 25% = $74MM

North America-  $316MM @ 50%= $158MM

Other Foreign Territories-  $481MM @ 40%= $192MM

Total Profits to WB so far-  $425MM - big dumb $350MM  budget= $74MM net.

So....about half of Venom profits on more than double the cost. 

Better keep swimming Aquabro.  Better keep swimming.  :bigsmile:

-J.

Out of curiosity, what was Venom's budget?  Not sure what my question has to do with a thread on the Aquaman movie, but I was just wondering...

13 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

"Turds"?

Four time academy award nominee Michelle Williams?

Three time academy award nominee and Emmy winner woody Harrelson?

Emmy award winner riz ahmed?

Your comments are so out of left field and ridiculous I can't even muster a response (other than this one, that is lol).

-J.

Reminds me to congratulate Michelle Williams for her Razzie nomination in Venom.  

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Try again, sport.

But congrats for real to Amber Heard for her actual nomination for one for London Fields.  :roflmao:

-J.

You see, you keep deflecting to films and topics to which both Venom and Aquaman are not involved, and attempt condescending multiple people (inferiority complex for $500, Alec)... None of it is helping you and/or your 'point' (whatever that may be).

Michelle Williams was trash in Venom. Amber Heard was great in Aquaman.

The only thing that Venom had/has going for it was the actor for the titular character(s). Was it done better by Jason Momoa? IMO yes, but not by a landslide. When it comes to everything else, Aquaman is better by a landslide. Obviously, WB invested ($160/350 Mil, who cares) into a movie with potential that is, at bare minimum, good and/or fun. Sony did not invest heavily into a s^&* show with only 1 redeeming quality (that being a single actor).

Ultimately - Aquaman will move Worlds of DC forward - being a global hit. Venom won't do much of anything for Sony's Spiderverse. The film was trash and myself, among the many I know, won't have anything to do with a sequel.

Normally you get what you pay for. Unfortunately I wasted $30+ dollars and 3 hours of my life on hot garbage.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Aquaman will pass Deadpool 2’s domestic total tomorrow.

Weird - I thought Deadpool was more popular than Aquaman.

not to mention, Aquaman is set to pass any movie that's featured Superman (unadjusted) #profitfulofkryptonite